Urinating just outside litter box

LAQ

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat is 14 years old. He has always been extremely well behaved. Just recently, he has started urinating outside the litter box - not always, but definitely once a day. I got him an easy access litterbox, which seemed to help for a while. He is very picky about litter - my husband bought a different kind and he wouldn't use it, but now we have the same kind he's always used and he is still doing this maybe once a day. There have been no changes in our household that would be causing him any kind of stress or anxiety. I took him to the vet who ran the necessary tests - he has no urinary tract issues and is in fact in "remarkably good health." The funny thing is, he TELLS me when he's done this. He seems to be somewhat distressed after he does it and meows at me. Sure enough, when I check, he has done it. I do not react negatively to him in any way - just clean it up. Does anyone have any advice?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Bless his heart! A cat that age who has been 'good' all their lives knows when something they have done isn't right. So, that is why he is letting you know what he has done. (My ~17 yo does the same thing!) What tests were done, just so we know?

Is he on any supplements for arthritis - maybe that has something to do with it?

He could also perhaps benefit from a second litter box, just as a trial to see if that would make any difference. Meanwhile, place some puppy pee pads around the litter box and let him use those (to help with clean up) until you can do further research/testing. Perhaps something like an ultrasound is needed to see if there are issues with his urinary tract that would not necessarily be decipherable through blood work or a urinalysis.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
when I still had my Sven, he used to put one foot in the box and then pee. He was so proud of himself because in his mind he was going in his box, but in reality he was going just outside the box. Granted, by that time my old guy was quite ill, so it was difficult for him to make the short trek to the box, but still, I wonder if your guy could be going through something similar and only realize he has made a mistake when his feet get wet :dunno:? Does he has arthritis, is that why the low sided box? Does he take any pain meds? It's possible he could still be in some pain.

I totally agree with the use of puppy pads to help with clean up. Not sure what else can be done.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

LAQ

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you! I believe he does have arthritis, which is why I got the easy entry litter box. I'm going to consult his vet about whether this might be causing him pain which in turn is causing this behavioral issue.