Urinary Tract Crystals/vomiting

JDArm

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have two kitties. They are sisters. One of the kitties started getting. UTIs and was placed on Hills CD diet by our vet. They are both fed the Hills CD canned meat and dry food. Both seem to be OK and are very active. The foods seem to be doing their jobs as far a preventing UTI infections.

The kitty that experienced past UTIs seems to always vomit after eating. We noticed the kibble was mostly unchewed and in whole pieces. So, we got one of those feeding bowls that is suppose to slow down the eating. The vomiting continued. Next, we took away the dry food and just fed the canned meat. Again, the vomiting continued but not as frequent.

We have taken the kitty to the vet several times to see what is wrong. The conclusion is always the same: the cat is still healthy and nothing organically can be found to be the cause. The cat is very active and rambuxous and does not appear to be sick. No loss of weight is experienced and is the ideal weight for a 4 year old kitty: 10.92 lbs.

We are at our wits end trying to figure out what is making one of the kitties vomit.

We also tried switching to Royal Canin SO food and the vomiting continued. In fact, both cats vomited after being fed this food. So we went back to the Hills diet. To me it seems to be a "competition" issue where one kitty basically inhales her food to keep the other from eating it.

Has anyone encountered a similar problem? Any alternative diets that may be suggested to prevent UTIs?

Need help since we are reluctant to leave the house for a quick vacation and come back to a house with vomit all over the place. This has been going on for months.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I think you are probably onto something about the eating competition between your two cats.

But, just in case it does have something to do with the food, you might want to try Purina Pro Plan Focus (wet) & Purina One Urinary Tract Health Formula (dry). I haven't tried these, because I already use the two you have tried, and they have been successful in keeping Feeby free of bladder stones now for 8 years.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

JDArm

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
As an update to my original post on Urinary Tract Crystals/Vomiting, my vet was able to solve the problem with my kitty. The vet performed a a cystotomy on the kitty to remove six bladder stones. The bladder was very inflamed from the stones and the crystals that were inside of it. As soon as the kitty began to bounce back from the operation, we decided to try reintroducing the crunchy food into her diet. So far, the kitty has tolerated the food very well even though she basically inhales the food as she eats.

It seems as though the inflamed bladder was the cause of her vomiting. We were hoping a diet that would create an acidic environment in the bladder that would dissolve the crystals and stones. But in some kitties this approach does not work and surgery is the last option.

We now have a happy kitty cat who no longer constantly cries and is not going to the litter box every 10 minutes. Everything is back to normal.