Urinary Problems With New Cat

stephmnichols

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone,
I actually have sort of a two-in-one problem that I think are related and I need some advice on how to troubleshoot.
We got a new cat, Maui (3 y/o), about two months ago, and our resident cat, Coffee (2 y/o), is not taking it very well. She's always been a little shy and cautious, but super curious of other cats outside (not aggressive or scared at all, very friendly through the window). We got Maui to hopefully keep Coffee company (once they were adjusted to each other), as S.O. works long hours and I was starting school and am now out of the house for a long time during the day as well.
I know two months is not very long; I realize the introduction could take months or years. If this was the only issue, I wouldn't be too worried about it.
However, Maui pees inappropriately on random furniture or the floor, somewhat indiscriminately. She knows how to use the litter box; she does for all of her #2's, and about half the time for her pee. She rarely pees on the floor or furniture in the same spot twice. I don't know why she is doing it. She has been to the vet and does not have a UTI. She has SEVERAL litter boxes, differing types of litter, box, and location. She has used all of them at some point in time.
The introduction process between the two has been taken slowly; as of now, they get about an hour of supervised time together each night, where there is some hissing from Coffee and, on occasion, a bit of swatting at each other (no claws, just some sass). Some days it seems to be getting a little better, but other days it feels like we're taking steps backwards. During the day, Maui is out in the house and Coffee is in our room. I know this sounds backwards, but Coffee spends most of her day up there and prefers to be in there anyways, and Maui was peeing on things constantly and deliberately when she was locked up in the spare room (fully supplied with everything she needed) and Coffee had free run of the house; now, it is only occasionally.
When they interact, Maui seems completely unbothered by Coffee's aversion to her. If Coffee hisses, she just ignores it. If she growls, she just walks away. When they've swatted at each other, I think it was a case of one got too close or Maui had finally had enough of Coffee's sass (she is all talk anyways, she is a major weenie). Anyways, they aren't together without supervision yet, which, again, is not ideal but it's not the end of the world. It's the inappropriate elimination that I am having a hard time with.
I don't know if these problems are related; I don't know if Maui is more bothered by Coffee than she seems and is taking it out on my furniture. I did call the shelter and ask if this was a known problem, but they said she only did it once or twice when she was particularly (and noticeably) stressed out. They also said she was adopted once, and returned a week and a half later for inappropriate elimination so stress could absolutely be a factor and it is possible that Coffee is stressing Maui out more than she lets on (it is just weird because otherwise she seems perfectly well adjusted). She has been on Zylkene since we got her, and I recently got a prescription for Gabapentin for both of them that I've begun giving them before their meetings. I have not yet noticed a difference on the Gabapentin (other than some rather sleepy kitties, which I guess does make their interactions a bit more low-key), but it hasn't been very long.
I don't know if this is just how she's been forever, since she's already 3 years old this might just be the way she grew up (I do not know her history from before the shelter). I'm not considering giving her up, I just don't know where to begin.

Should I keep pushing forward with their introductions and hope the peeing becomes less of a problem as a result? Should I try to separate them for a while and deal with the urination first, and introduce them after? Any advice would be greatly appreciated; I don't know if crate training is a viable option but I'm open to any and all suggestions!!

Thanks for reading my rant and sorry that it was so long!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! First, hang in there, you're doing great in a challenging situation!
I'd separate them and deal with the pee issues first.

There's an enzymatic cleaner called the Equalizer, it doesn't require soaking.

Can you try a litter called Cat Attract? Some people dust about a cup or so of it on top of other litter or I think there's a litter additive as well.

Can you also try music, it's known to help cats relax. Try low volume classical harp music, there's an app called Relax My Cat, and there's MusicForCats.com

Cat Trees: 12 Designs That Will Make You Go "wow!"

How To Make Your Home Bigger (at Least For Your Cats)

16 Experts Reveal The Most Common Litterbox Mistakes (and How To Avoid Them)

How To Fix An Unsuccessful Cat Introduction

You, Your Cat And Stress

How To Successfully Introduce Cats: The Ultimate Guide

The 10 Most Common Litterbox Mistakes Cat Owners Make

Playing With Your Cat: 10 Things You Need To Know

Food Puzzles for Cats

20 Best Interactive Cat Toys: The Ultimate List (2018) | Heavy.com

Home The Ripple Rug

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

stephmnichols

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi! Fist, hang in there, you're doing great in a challenging situation!
I'd separate them and deal with the pee issues first.

There's an enzymatic cleaner called the Equalizer, it doesn't require soaking.

Can you try a litter called Cat Attract? Some people dust about a cup or so of it on top of other litter or I think there's a litter additive as well.

Can you also try music, it's known to help cats relax. Try low volume classical harp music, there's an app called Relax My Cat, and there's MusicForCats.com
Thank you for responding! I did try the Cat Attract in two of the boxes (she has 4 readily available to her right now in various places, plus she has used Coffee's once or twice during their supervised visits) but I don't feel that she has ever favoured one box over the other because of it... The weird thing about it is that she pees in a different spot every time! I have an enzymatic cleaner that works wonders (same idea as Equalizer) and I find that if I clean somewhere with it she doesn't repeat in that spot; before when she was going in the spare room I had a different cleaner that she would just pee over top of (picture me rolling my eyes as hard as possible).

My concern with separating is that when they are apart, Maui comes to our bedroom door and paws at it trying to get in, so they are still very much interacting and Coffee is also so curious! It's so weird because it seems like they want to play with each other under the door; there is no hissing or growling at all, and they almost seem to be playing "paws" under the door. But as soon as I open it is when the hissing (from Coffee) starts... again, I understand Maui is probably stressed out, but it's so odd because she seems perfectly fine in every other way.

Maybe it's our long hours? She loves being around us (she has been sleeping with our roommate for now too who she adores as well, so it's not like she is constantly alone) but she gets plenty of time with us after school and work (and with roommate at night). I know cats are routine creatures, so I've been trying to get them onto a somewhat regular schedule to try and help their interactions. I'm talking scheduled list of house time, interaction time, dinner time, play time (crazy cat lady much? I know)... But roommate's work hours are funny (5 mornings on, 5 days off, 5 nights on, 5 days off, repeat) so that might be messing her up a little too.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Bless your heart, you are awesome!
Hmmm, well, try the music, maybe that will be the thing that does it for both of them :)

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would suspect that the peeing is her way of trying to keep territory, not because she is extremely dominant, but more because she feels insecure. One of our cats is seemingly very chill and calm, but when he feels insecure about outdoor intruders, he will pee. One time we had a bad year for bears, and he got so scared that he ended up with a complete blockage from cystitis. On the outside he was still calm, but obviously "mentally" he was really stressed, it just did not show with his demeanor.

One thing I would try that might help with the introductions, is to start swapping scents. Get a few towels and blankets for each of them to sleep on for a few days than swap them up.

You could also use some of those towels that have her scent and place them in areas that may be susceptible to the peeing, that way where ever she goes she may not feel the need to pee as her smell is already there.

Try your best to have extra play time with Maui and have more high places for lounging to help build up her confidence. Having more vertical space creates more territory for cats so it may help alleviate the peeing as well.

Hope this helps, and good luck!!!

stephmnichols

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I just put some music on, so we will see how that goes!

I have also tried the scent swapping, I just find that Maui ends up peeing on Coffee-scented towels! They smell each other all the time, so I am sure they are used to each others' scents, but I will try some more... When they do interact, Coffee hisses but Maui doesn't (seem to) care. They have gotten in a couple fights with some yowling and swatting, but never very serious and never any blood, but I always split them up after that. Should I be letting these little tiffs work themselves out? Is this maybe going to be their way of letting off their steam and finally working things out/figuring out their social roles? I'm worried about taking steps backwards, but again, they are not drawing blood. I think maybe they are trying to work out the pecking order... In a perfect world I would prefer that Coffee be the alpha cat, as she doesn't have an aggressive bone in her body (like I said, she's all talk; I swear the hissing and growling is more fear than aggression) but if I am just postponing their working things out maybe I should just accept that Maui has more of an alpha personality anyways? Will this be detrimental to Coffee's psychological wellbeing if Maui ends up being the alpha? I know I sound crazy but I don't want her upset lol!

I think it's extra hard because neither of them are kittens so they are somewhat set in their ways, but I'm sure it will work out eventually. I just need a plan and some advice.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I think yes, let those little tiffs go. I think that's necessary for them to figure out what's what, --under supervision.
Coffee should be fine once everything is squared away, but of course watch to see that she doesn't exhibit signs of stress as you go along.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
To add, I really like the idea of having her scent on towels placed in pee areas (not on the floor though).
If you haven't, maybe take a soft cloth, rub it on one cat, then rub that cloth on the other to make each one smell like the other :)

stephmnichols

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hmm okay, I will try all this. I will see if letting them work it out themselves (within reason) will help this process along! I'm really hoping that if I solve one problem, I solve them both...

stephmnichols

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So today they have had two supervised visits, one currently still in progress. The first one went quite well! No hissing from either end, although not much in the way of interaction either; really just watching each other from afar, but then they both took a nap fairly close to each other. This second one as I said is still taking place, and while fairly low-key there have been a couple hisses and grumbles as Maui was bold enough to jump on the table next to Coffee's perch (i.e., within paws-reach - no serious fighting though, just some light batting and a bit of yowly noise). I do think they would both benefit from another tall-surface in this room, because it almost seems like they are competing for the top of that wardrobe at this point (by competing I mean Coffee posted up, refusing to move from that spot, while Maui inches closer and closer when she isn't looking) so maybe I will move a bookcase in here for the time being. I am fully expecting something to be peed on later tonight... but I think (hope) that if I can get them getting along somewhat soon then maybe the urine episodes will decrease. I don't think I want to separate and reintroduce at this point, because I do think they are making progress, even if it is pretty slow. Both cats are currently napping (albeit with one eye open each, lol!) on opposite sides of the room.

stephmnichols

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Update:
Since being put on the gabapentin, Maui’s urinary issues *seem* to be improving... this past week (until today) I had only found one or two inappropriate urinations (before it was at least once a day!), but when I came home from school today I found that she had peed on the floor of the bathroom, twice, in different spots. I know that both happened today because when SO went to let her out this morning, he said she had flipped the entire litter box on it’s side and spilled everything, so that entire room got swept up. I realize now that I have forgotten to give her the gabapentin the last two days, so I’m wondering if that, combined with last night being Halloween (fireworks) may have spooked her more than she let on (again, she seemed totally fine but who knows with her).
She and Coffee haven’t had much in the way of visiting hours the last couple days but they did have a lot of time on the weekend. They were okay for the first two hours (supervised the whole time) but got in a fight at the end so I separated them :(
Again not sure how much I should be letting them work out, the loud meowing and howling always freaks me out so I intervene! There’s definite swatting but no claws from what I can tell and definitely no biting (one of them always backs down) but should I be letting this continue? When it’s mild I just give a loud clap to distract them and that usually works but I’m confused about what to do when they actually do get into it...
TIA!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Many members say that as long as there's no blood/fur being yanked out/claws in action, let them continue because they need to work things out.

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You're doing great. Really.:thumbsup:

BTW They are so cute!

Furballsmom Furballsmom had a great suggestion about the music - it does help mine too. I have a few newbies in the intro stage as well.

Charlie and Mia are the two atm being introduced (the last 6 months), they are both over 5 years old. So not kittens either.

It's a slow, SLOW process and they behave similarly to what you've described here. Thank goodness no peeing though. Other issues - but no pee - and no bloodshed. *knock on wood*

Slow and steady will wins the race.

I know first hand how scary it is to watch two cats meeting. You are never sure when you should step in.

Hissing and growling are very normal as they get accustomed.

This is the hard part (truly hard) - WE have to stay zen. Kitties will zone in on our fear and stress in the blink of an eye. I understand that nervous stress watching them. I was a basket case at first worried there would be blood and fur everywhere. The calmer I was - the calmer they were. It is hard though - the noises they sometimes make you think - dear lord is someone going to die?! EPPS!

I let them do their thing. EG: Charlie will mount Mia in a dominance stance. He is the resident kitty and he wants everyone to know he is the badass kitty. I allow it to a point. If it looks like Mia is going to get hurt, or he becomes too aggressive with her - I intervene. If they are chasing and swatting - I let them be and watch.

Keep going slowly. Supervised visits etc. Make sure both have places they can get away to if needed.

Have you been able to feed them together? Doing things to create a positive association with each other?

The links Furballsmom Furballsmom posted - and very much this one: How To Successfully Introduce Cats: The Ultimate Guide - very VERY helpful.

What Jem Jem said was very true of kitties. The confidence of territory and feel they belong is important to them. Peeing, if not medical, is one way of saying/showing they belong when they are feeling less secure. Building up her security with play time and higher areas for both does help.

It is going to be one step forward, one back, two forward, one back etc - for a little while.

Hang in there! It's only time. :goodluck:

stephmnichols

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I try to limit treat-time to when they are together to create positive associations (although I must admit, every once in a while I cave and give them one or two treats while apart - it's hard not to when they're so cute!). As for the feeding, they both have their own dry food stations they are allowed access to at all hours of the day. When it comes to wet food, they each get a portion of it at night time and I have fed them together successfully. Maui, while very food motivated, eats hers all in one go, with no problem. Coffee, on the other hand, doesn't care too much about her food, and tends to eat it at a leisurely pace throughout the evening... so when Maui is in the room, she spends most of her time watching her eat (but she has managed to relax and take a couple bites too without issue). Coffee loves - and I mean LOVES - being brushed. So I try to brush her whenever Maui is in the room, and this does seem to calm her down and make her happier when Maui is around.