Urinary Obstruction Question

ssmit474

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hola all,

Last July I took my sweet male (round 6 years old) cat in for signs of a urinary obstruction. That vet was able to relieve him overnight without even catherizing him. He told me he flushed him. He sent him home with prazosin, antibiotics and c/d multicare. Ignorantly, I figured I'd never experience this again! Well, late November...my heart sank when I saw poor dolph sitting on the litter in the afternoon after his dinner for like...2 minutes just doing nothing. I knew right away. I took him back to the same vet, and this time he catherized him and sent him home after two nights. The following day after I brought him home I brought him to a different vet for a second opinion. They recommended switching to full wet food (royal canin SO), and also prescribed him bupr. the pain medicine. So for about two weeks now he has been peeing wonderfully, and has transitioned to full wet food. Last Monday I stopped giving him pain meds. Not sure if its coincidence, but I've noticed a few things. On Monday night, he got on the box and instead of doing his normal squatting he like...stood up with his tail straight in the air, twitching, and kind of just....peed on the wall. I kind of freaked out so I called the emergency vet. They said its normal. Whatever. Well last night it happened twice. and it happened again this morning. I convinced myself something was terribly wrong. That hes blocked again. I called my new local vet. The vet I've been seeing is on vacation until Tuesday (we're gonna do a urinalysis Tuesday as a checkup). I figured the vet would want me to come in immediately but they just said...well theres pee right? And I'm like...yeah but its on the wall and I'm afraid hes in pain. They said, well as long as theres pee hes fine.

Is this true? Is this just part of the normal recovery process? Is it normal to expect this kind of struggling a few weeks after being catherized? Hopefully the urinalysis gives me some answers. I'm deathly afraid of having to give into that surgery. And I don't want my cat living a life of vet visits, neither does my wallet or him. I've never been so 24/7 stressed. I convinced myself that switching to full on wet food would just be such a cureall but now I'm kind of melancholy.

Any thoughts...experiences..would really be appreciated

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi there! It is a good thing that he is peeing - albeit spraying. Does he act like he is in pain? If so, could you perhaps get the vet's office to give you some more pain meds until he is seen next week?

I do not agree with the vet that his all of a sudden spraying is normal. And, I have never heard of that being part of a recovery process of any kind - but, then again, I haven't had a male cat for over 20 years...

But, he needs that urinalysis done to start with, including a full culture. There is something going on health wise, and probably has to do with some part of his entire urinary system; that would be my guess.

I don't know why your vet has to be in the office for you to have a urinalysis & culture started. If you could collect some of the spray in a clean container and take it to the vet's office, they could begin the process without the vet being there. You could at least call and ask them. The reason I mention doing this is because while the initial urinalysis can be performed immediately, the culture will likely take 2-3 business days before the results are available. Then, you would have all of the results sooner than if you wait for Tuesday. Just a thought.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ssmit474

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He doesn't really act like he is in pain really...just the twitching of the tail. When they call me back about more pain meds, I'll ask about your recommendations. Thank ya so much.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had a cat with chronic urinary issues and he developed the habit of standing up to pee. It did look like the "spraying posture" when he went. He may still have some pain while peeing, which is why he is straining a bit and changing his posture to go. Unfortunately, he continued to stand and "spray" to pee for the rest of his life, so I just made him his own litter box from a storage bin with 18" high sides with a cut out so he could climb in comfortably.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The standing up and tail twitching are part of the spraying posture. I've seen that frequently. However, suddenly starting to spray after never doing it before is kinda odd for a neutered cat. (since the tail twitching surprised you, I'm thinking he's neutered.)