Urinary Incontinence/Peeing Outside Box

abby2932

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Guys, I just have to start this thread to hopefully help someone whose cat is BEHAVIORALLY urinating outside of the litterbox. This means, after having your cat medically examined for UTI issues, etc and a clean bill of health.

CAT ATTRACT LITTER 

Oh. My. Gosh. Cat Attract Litter truly does work! 

I had to babysit my neighbor's cat this weekend. He is 16 years old and I house sit for him a few times a year. He is an indoor/outdoor cat with kidney disease. This old man NEVER pees in the litterbox, he always either goes outside or on her dirty clothes/couch/rug, etc. She was telling me that her cat is becoming a huge burden because of this and she is open to suggestions or she is thinking about putting him down.

This made me incredibly sad and OF COURSE I had to find a way to help so I did a litterbox experiment this weekend while she's been out of town with 3 litterboxes:
  • One box was filled with Cat Attract Litter
  • One box was filled with her regular Arm&Hammer litter and I sprinkled a layer of Dr. Elsey's Litter Attractant on top
  • One box I left completely alone so it just had his regular Arm&Hammer litter in it
He peed in the litterbox with the Cat Attract Litter in it EVERY SINGLE DAY so far and I'm sure he hasn't gone anywhere else in the house! 

My neighbor comes back tomorrow and I can't wait to tell her that there is hope for the old guy yet! I just hope she is willing to continue to buy the litter. It is about 2x as expensive as the kind she currently buys so I'm not sure if that's something she would want to do...

Anyway, hopefully someone in need of this advice will see this thread and a cat will be saved =)

alex17

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm glad I found this! I've been having trouble with my oldest guy ( almost 2 yrs old. Not very old but he's my oldest lol) with peeing outside of his litter box. I thought it might have been that he was trying to tell me he was fed up with sharing a litterbox with his sister so I bought a second litterbox. That did nothing for him! I noticed that he liked peeing on any clothes I would leave on the floor so I stopped doing that. Even without the clothes in the floor he still goes on the bathroom floor. I haven't had him checked by a vet but I'm pretty sure he's healthy. He does go in his litterbox a lot, but maybe once a day or once every few days he'll go on the bathroom floor next one of the boxes.

I'm going to have to find this litter. Living in the small town I do, it's not going to be carried at any local stores. Always a pain. But thank you for the post. I honestly didn't even know they made special kitty attract litter!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

abby2932

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hey, I'm in Louisiana too! =)

The rule of thumb is to have 1 litterbox per cat +1. So if you have 2 cats, you should *theoretically* have 3 boxes. I only have 1 litterbox and I have 2 cats but they never did mind sharing. I also clean my litterbox every time I see one of them use it or about 4 times a day. 

For your situation, I would definitely suggest starting off with a minimum of 2 litterboxes (uncovered litterboxes, if possible) both filled with the Cat Attract Litter. It is called Dr. Elsey's Cat Attract Litter and I got it from Petco for $29.99 for a 40lb bag but you can get it for $23 on Amazon.com. It is a bit expensive but SO WORTH IT to not have to have cat pee on your clothes/furniture!!

At the very least, if you don't want to spend that much on litter, pick up some some Litter Attractant (also made by Dr. Elsey, called Dr. Elsey's Litter Attractant) and sprinkle a layer over UNSCENTED litter. The litter needs to be unscented because the heavy perfumes in the scented litter will mask the smell of the litter attractant and it will not be helpful. This Litter Attractant is a more reasonable $15 for a container that should last quite a few months.

alex17

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Why the uncovered boxes? Both of my boxes have covers. I've actually wanted to take the covers off for a long time but Im worried about the mess they would make with kicking out litter.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

abby2932

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Some cats find the hooded litterboxes too dark, cramped, and stuffy inside to use it regularly. Also, it's very easy for your newer cat to plan a "sneak attack" on your older kitty coming out of the box which will discourage him from wanting to go in there. 

Open boxes give the cats room and light to breathe, stand, dig, turn around and keep an eye on their surroundings in case their sneaky little sister is in hunting mode!

Hooded litterboxes are better for humans since they hide what we don't want to see and keep the smell in. But for cats...they are similar to a Port-O-Potty. If I was a cat, I wouldn't want to go in there. 

If both of your cats are using a hooded litterbox with no problem then you wouldn't *need* to change tactics but since one of your guys is giving you problems, it is absolutely something you want to try. 

alex17

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I don't think they necessarily would mind the hoods but I think I'm going to take one off to see how they react. It would actually be a lot easier on my to clean them. To get my hoods off I have to site down in front of them and unsay them all around. Being able to just go in a scoop right away would probably cut cleaning time in half if not more. I could clean it out more often too.

I'm pretty sure I just convinced myself :lol3:

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise

Would you possibly put that in a review?

[product="17837"]Dr Elseys Precious Cat Cat Attract Problem Cat Training Litter​[/product]  

If you add the reviews during January you'll be helping us raise funds for cats in need!

Review products and raise money for cats in need!
Done! =)
Excellent! Thank you very much! If you can think about other products to review we'd love to get more in during January for the fundraiser!