Urinary Food Recommendation for a picky kitty

happy boy cat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Two weeks ago my kitty was straining to urine. So we took him to the ER and they gave him some antibiotics and Royal Canin urinary SO prescription diet canned.  He ate it for a week and refused to eat it anymore. So the vet recommended the dry version and he refused to eat it after a few days. We found that Pro Plan made a urinary canned food. He refused to eat the chicken but love the salmon version. We also tried to give him so dry pro plan urinary health food but he refused to eat that. We don't mind feeding him all wet food but we have long working hours and would like to leave some dry food out. Do any one have any recommendation on a dry food that is salmon or seafood favored and that's ok to prevent urinary issues? Thanks!

red top rescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You can always freeze wet food and leave a frozen patty on his plate for him to eat throughout the day as it thaws. The best food for him is one primarily made of ANIMAL (not vegetable protein) animal fat, and very low (under 10%) carbohydrates. 

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
You meantined he likes salmon, try opening a can of salmon the kind people eat and drain the juices onto the food. You could also try mixing the salmon with the canned food.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
As for dry I don't know of any that are specifically designed for urinary issues in fact my Kabby is on urinary food for his kidney stones and his vet said canned food should be the bulk of his diet since dry tends to dehydrate them. You could try scheduled feeding like 1 can when you get your own breakfast and another when you come home from work.

deepsearch

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I didn't have good luck feeding my male cat who kept getting struvite crystals dry kibble, even though it was formulated to prevent UT problems and he also ate wet food. He kept having blockages. And bleeding, diagnosed as idiopathic cystitis. But putting him on an all moist food diet has helped him and he hasn't had problems for a few years now. I feed him Holistic Select for the most part, as it meets his needs-- low carb, predominantly meat, not a lot of added starches or plant-based ingredients. I normally only feed the poultry varieties, as fish can exacerbate UT irritation, but there are a few kinds that have fish and shrimp. Wellness Core is often suggested for cats with UT problems, but I don't typically feed it as some canned formulas had carrageenan, which I avoid. They make several fish varieties and perhaps your cat could like the kibble, if you are going to feed any in moderate quantities. For canned foods I've also fed Halo Impulse and Pure Vita-- like Wellness and Holistic Select they are supposed to be formulated to ensure a cat's urine stays at a desirable pH-- and also Tiki Cat, Fussie Cat, and Weruva, for the higher protein and moisture content. Freeze dried foods could also be an option. Ideally they should be fed rehydrated, but as a supplement to your cat's diet at least the all meat-based foods don't have the added carbohydrates found in kibble.

I have been using the guide from catinfo.org to try and get my other male cat off of kibble and onto wet food. They have a guide for transitioning finicky cats, diet suggestions, and tips on how to get them to eat.