Urinary Diet.

Jules89

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My poor baby had a blockage about a month and a half ago. All cleared up now. He's on Royal Canin SO wet food but, he always seems to be hungry.

Obviously I'd get the SO dry food but still worry that it would lead to another blockage (I'm a nervous cat mommy okay!). I've read on many sites that a strict wet food diet is best.

Any thoughts? I feel bad for the poor butt (though he could lose a few pounds xD)

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I feed Feeby Royal Canin SO and Hill's C/D - both canned and dry (tbh, up until the past couple of years it was pretty much all dry). She has been on these since her bladder surgery 8 years ago, and as far as I know - she had remained stone free.

There is also a Royal Canin SO Moderate Calorie dry food, albeit it is a tad more expensive the non-diet one.

I think if he is acting hungry-like, go ahead and add the dry for some of the feedings, but keep the canned to feed him as well. If he is a grazer, leave a small amount of dry for him throughout the day, and feed canned at specific meal times.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jules89

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks!!

I'll give my vet a call. He is anything but a grazer lol. The food is put out (half a can) and will be gone within an hour or two. Then it's the "feed me mommy I'm so hungry" act until his next feeding.

Jules89

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He gets half in the morning and the other half in the evening. Which (we think) equals out to his old diet of a fancy feast can. Just minus dry food but like I said earlier. Going to call my vet and possibly put him on the dry as well. So he has something to nibble on between cans

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
One can of SO has 142 calories. It may not be enough to satisfy your cat daily, thus the constant hunger. It's usually recommended to feed 20 to 25 calories per pound of ideal body weight daily. You may need to add part of a second can to your cat's daily food intake. Can you leave canned food out for snacking? Timed feeders work great to provide snacks in between meals.

A can of Fancy Feat is under 100 calories, some varieties being as little as 40 calories per can.

lalagimp

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Even when Tommy was dieting he was allowed 225 calories per day. It sounds like you removed one food source and didn't scale up the wet, which is now the only food source.
Plus, sometimes when you feed only wet, they process it better, they are in a more hydrated state, and then may then need to eat more food. Tommy is on raw food now and eats I think at least 265 calories per day. He gets 6 1/2 ice cubes and then Stella and Chewy. Stewart only gets 4 ice cubes.

Jules89

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ahhh makes a lot of sense. We were so confused because he had never been this ravenous before. I looked at RC's feeding guide so now I feel like a horrible mommy. Going to for sure talk to our vet about his diet. Don't want him gaining too much weight (He's around 13 pounds). When he was on FF, we had a few visits close together (he also has either an allergy or auto immune disorder, pemp something and was on steroids prior to blocking). He gained almost 2 pounds in about 2 weeks.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The feeding guidelines on pet food labels are often inaccurate, usually more food than a pet needs. Many vets don't know much about diet and nutrition, often just prescribing a prescription diet food which is horrible in quality and no more less in calories than commercial food.

For 13 lbs, the cat needs to eat roughly 260 calories daily to maintain the current weight. Start with about amount until your cat isn't hungry anymore and then slowly decrease the calories over a period of weeks. Too much calorie reduction too fast can result in fatty liver disease.

13 lbs isn't heavy. Some breeds of cats are naturally heavy. Does the vet feel that your cat needs to lose weight? What is your cat's ideal weight?

Name9335

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Strict wet, or raw if you can, especially for urinary issues.

Last edited by a moderator: