Urinary crystals young female cat - please help!

Natuska

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Someone I know contacted me today for an advice. They have a 5 months old female cat who started peeing blood. They brought her to vet earlier today. The vet didn’t do any blood or urine tests and said it’s urine crystals and that it’s weird because she’s a female. They prescribed Temgesic 300ug/ml, Cerenia injection, and Minipress Prazosin Tablets 2mg. Apparently the kitten got worse since the vet visit, and is in pain and peeing blood. I suggested to bring her to a different vet or to go back to the same vet for clarification but the person doesn’t want to do this. What can be done and how can this poor kitten be saved? The person is in another city, so all I can help with is advice. They don’t seem to want to spend much money on vets, and unfortunately I can’t do anything about it. I asked about the environment and food, and the kitten is living with 3 other cats, and they eat both dry food and wet food. I suggested to give her more acidic food like raw meat, and make sure she’s getting enough water. Is there any way for me to help save that poor kitten? Any natural remedy or maybe I can contact some organisation who can take her and take care of her? It seems like the kitten is dying there in another city and the person shared this horrible story with me but for some reason is refusing to go back to the vet.

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not sure if I can help, but wanting to give this a bump to hopefully bring some more people in to help.
If the owner is unwilling to take her back to the vets, or to another vets, I'm not sure there's much that can be done, unfortunately. If it's a matter of finances, can you suggest she apply for care credit? It can help in emergencies like this. Otherwise, it sounds like this person doesn't deserve to be a pet parent, if they're not willing to help & care for their kitty.
Maybe you can suggest helping contact a rescue in her area that may be able to help? I'm just not sure if anyone could or would, not being a foster, stray, etc...
She really needs to be seen by another vet, or the emergency vets!
Will she at least call the vet & explain that it's not helping, what's still going on, etc..to get more answers & maybe more or different help?? She really needs a urinalysis.

Crystals are usually a matter of forming when the pH is off. (I went through this w/ my first cat, Angel). He had an ultrasound & a urinalysis to identify which type of crystals, & put on a Rx food. After a yr of that, I found a more natural, better ingredients comparable urinary formulated wet food, & he stayed on that the rest of his life. (Dave's).
I hope & pray this person will get help for this kitten. Especially suffering so young.
She really needs help. 🙏

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If you can't intervene, either by offering to take this kitten under your care (I don't know how far apart you live), reporting her to the SPCA, or contacting some rescue centers in her area to see if they might have some ideas on how to help, there isn't much you can do. Do you have any friends/relatives in her area that might be willing to help out? Maybe she told you the story in the hopes you would volunteer to take her?

This is a very serious situation, and I don't think you can offer her any home remedies that are going to change the ultimate outcome of her needing to be seen by a vet, sooner rather than later.

She could seek out financial support in her area (see link below for some suggestions), but tbh, it doesn't seem she cares enough, or is really not aware of how bad this is. I am kind of getting the impression this kitten should probably be treated and re-homed.
No Money For Vet Care? How To Find Help And Save Your Cat’s Life – TheCatSite Articles

Last edited: