Urinary Crystals and wet food

CakesCats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone!
I've been around a little bit talking about my cat Petey who was diagnosed with stomach cancer a couple months back. Luckily, he is still with us and still doing well.
However, one of our other boys (Colossus) who has never had any medical issues before (7yr neutered) was straining to urinate last night so I took him to the emergency vet afraid that he had a blockage (We went down that road many years ago with Petey). Luckily, he didn't have a blockage, but does have crystals and inflammation. They gave him some meds (both intravenous and for us to bring home) and we got some C/D Stress food for now.
We are currently building a porch roof, so I am assuming the noise and visitors from that has been a culprit in this. We normally have a pretty quiet home. He was eating majority fancy feast and a small amount of nutro indoor essentials. I have multiple cats and am already giving different meds to each one so I prefer not to give them separate food for long term nor can I afford to feed C/D to all of them. I am okay with the c/d for now for just Colossus and feeding the others separately, but I'm hoping for this to not be long term.
My question is:
Do you think we would benefit from changing the food from fancy feast even though he never had an issue with it in 7 years til now when we are building a porch and having visitors in and out? If you think we should change, what food (that is reasonably priced) do you suggest for cats who have had crystals?
I have ordered an additional litter box, another water fountain and some new toys to try to calm his stress some and get more water in him.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi
I don't think I'd change his food. Can you provide him with a quiet place, or run a fan (with the breeze from it directed away from him) so that the sound of the fan acts as white noise?

There are calming products on the market that might help him as well, wipes, sprays, chews, plugins (sometimes these don't work) etc.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

CakesCats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I do have air purifiers running, but I'll turn some floor fans on for the rest of the roof project. Luckily, the super loud part is finished (but I'm sure it will still be loud to them). I'm hoping the gabapentin they prescribed will keep him calmer during it too.
Thank you for the suggestions. I do have some calming spray, but I honestly don't know if I used it when they were building because he didn't even seem stressed! Doh!

Robyn5678

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I add extra water to my cats wet food. Do you do that?