Urinary Cat Food

MommaKat89

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a 12 year old neutered male who had a urinary blockage 3 years ago. He is eating Royal Canin S/O Urinary wet food once a day. We like to feed him dry food for his second meal, but he refuses to eat the Royal Canin in dry, same with Hills Science Diet. So, for dry we are giving him Purina Cat Chow Urinary pH because its the only Urinary dry food he will eat. Are there any other dry urinary foods out there that we could try?

zoocat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Purina has another dry food you might try:
Purina Pro Plan Focus Adult Urinary Tract Health Formula

himawari

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I don't believe that cats should eat dry food when they've had urinary problems because the moisture/wet content for dry food is (unsurprisingly) low. Cats who have urinary issues need to retain more water rather than less. Is it possible to feed wet food as first and second meal or are you doing this because it is more affordable? Here is a link filled with information: Feeding for Urinary and Kidney Health - Feline Nutrition Foundation

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MommaKat89

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I don't believe that cats should eat dry food when they've had urinary problems because the moisture/wet content for dry food is (unsurprisingly) low. Cats who have urinary issues need to retain more water rather than less. Is it possible to feed wet food as first and second meal or are you doing this because it is more affordable? Here is a link filled with information: Feeding for Urinary and Kidney Health - Feline Nutrition Foundation
It's not really a cost thing, more of a health thing. He has diabetes and his blood sugar tends to get really high when we feed him wet only, so the vet suggested the mix of both.

MommaKat89

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Purina has another dry food you might try:
Purina Pro Plan Focus Adult Urinary Tract Health Formula
Thank you. I will see if I can order a bag or 2 to try.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It's not really a cost thing, more of a health thing. He has diabetes and his blood sugar tends to get really high when we feed him wet only, so the vet suggested the mix of both.

Are you feeding low carb canned food? Those are best for diabetic cats. If you stick to canned foods with less than 10% carbs (most pate foods), the blood glucose levels shouldn't spike. Gravy and sauce based foods are high in carbs. Dry food will definitely cause blood glucose levels to spike. Most dry foods are very carb heavy, especially the inexpensive brands. Purina Cat Chow Urinary Health is 35% carbs per cup, far too much for even a healthy cat. Are you familiar with the FelineDiabets.com message board? It's a great place to get diabetes specific advice and help with other health issues that are quite common with diabetics, like urinary issues.

himawari

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I second what LTS3 LTS3 said. That message board is really helpful for issues that you are having with you cat.

MommaKat89

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Are you feeding low carb canned food? Those are best for diabetic cats. If you stick to canned foods with less than 10% carbs (most pate foods), the blood glucose levels shouldn't spike. Gravy and sauce based foods are high in carbs. Dry food will definitely cause blood glucose levels to spike. Most dry foods are very carb heavy, especially the inexpensive brands. Purina Cat Chow Urinary Health is 35% carbs per cup, far too much for even a healthy cat. Are you familiar with the FelineDiabets.com message board? It's a great place to get diabetes specific advice and help with other health issues that are quite common with diabetics, like urinary issues.
Thank you I will check it out!