Urinary Care Advice

allesaurus

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all,

Having some urinary issues with my one year old that I'd like some advice on.

2 weeks ago, my little one (Bruce) started trying to pee very frequently in his litter box (up to once every 10 minutes) after I went away for one weekend.

I took him to the vet and they cleared him of any obstruction but said he had an inflamed bladder and was possibly due to stress of me going away (I'm not entirely convinced on this as I have been away before with no issues but he is very attached to me).

They gave him an anti-inflammatory shot and gave me some additional medicine to give him, as well as a box of urinary care wet food. After a few days, Bruce went back to normal, so I stopped with the wet food (he really didn't like it - had to mix it with his regular food).

The symptoms have since returned and I really don't want to take him back for an enormous bill for them to tell me the same thing so was just hoping for some advice from the forum. Does anyone have similar experiences and can share what they did? Or any advice?

I had some of the wet food remaining so I've started it again and had a bit of anti-inflammatory medicine left so have given him that as well - my next step, pending advice, would be to change his dry food to urinary care. Does anyone have any recommendations for brand?

Also, if stress is a concern, what are the thoughts on me getting another cat to keep him company? Obviously easing him into it, but I have been considering this for a while.

Cheers,

Allen

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. A lot going on there. So, I can only offer urinary care food options. Feeby (female, 14+ yo) had bladder stones so severe that she had surgery to remove them in 2010. She has since been on Hill's C/D and Royal Canin SO (both wet and dry now). She is stone free, as far as I know. There are also - as I believe Furballsmom Furballsmom has noted in the link she provided above - Purina Pro as well as Wysong Uretic.

As far as I know, an inflamed bladder isn't going to happen over a weekend, so while the stress may have been an added contribution, there must be something else going on.

Btw, any time a prescription has been given, it is best to finish it for the duration. Not saying that you not using it all had anything to do with the recurrence, but it might have.

Stinky15

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
If you are feeding any kibble, stop it and just feed meat.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I believe an infection is caused by microorganisms, and inflammation is a reaction to disease, but the treatment would depend on how much is known by the vet from tests etc.

Can you try a foster arrangement so that if things don't go smoothly you could return the new cat?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Thanks for that. Mixed views in there.. Do you think there is much difference in terms of care between a UTI and inflammation though?
Yes. UTI can cause inflammation, but inflammation onto itself can also lead to a UTI. Inflammation can occur without a UTI also. It all depends on what is going on to cause either.

UTI, or infection, is determined with a urinalysis - and, ideally a urine culture. Inflammation is typically thought to be part of the process. (Think stone/crystal irritation, for one). But, inflammation can also be from concentrated urine irritating the bladder lining - with or without crytals/stones. That is why all believe extra water is the first and foremost treatment. The urinary care foods are for helping dissolve crystals, to increase thirst, and to change the PH balance in the urine to reduce irritation. And, that is just the beginning - but, at least somewhere to start.

Wile

Opener of cans
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi! My sense from what you have written is that right now you have two potential diagnoses on the table that you want to look at first. Your cat could have a urinary tract infection, or could have interstitial cystitis. In a one year old cat vets tend to lean towards cystitis because statistically young cats tend to suffer from cystitis more often than UTIs. My own cat, however, does get UTIs and did have one at a year old so I'd suggest that you request the urinalysis culture & sensitivity test to rule out the infection. This urinalysis and vet visit really is necessary to know what you are treating. You can't diagnose this yourself.

If it turns out that your cat does have cystitis then there are lots of ways to manage the condition like the Hills C/D stress diet, environmental enrichment, increase water drinking, cartrophen shots, etc.

Good luck!

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I'm sorry your cat, Bruce, is experiencing a urinary health problem. Here is an excellent Article regarding Feline Idiopathic Cystitis that may help explain some of your cat's symptoms and treatment: Feline Idiopathic Cystitis - How To Improve Your Cat's Quality Of Life

Perhaps right now may not be the best time to introduce a new cat especially since you mentioned your cat does not do well with stress. If it were me I would hold off for the time being until his urinary issues are under control. Please keep us posted on Bruce's progress. Fingers crossed he shows some signs of improvement. :crossfingers:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

allesaurus

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the comments everyone - lots to think about. He doesn't seem to be in any discomfort at the moment so will try and increase his water intake at the moment (get a water fountain, reduce kibbles) and if it doesn't improve in the near future, will take him in to rule out an infection.

Considering it disappeared for a week and now has returned, would that make it less likely to be an infection?

Will of course keep everyone updated. Thanks again!

allesaurus

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
And will also hold off on the new cat for the moment - but I do think this will help in the long run.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The anti-inflammatory, along with the other meds (probably antibiotics) likely kept it at bay, but wasn't the exact answer - hence the reason for it returning. And, if the antibiotic wasn't the right one, it can help for a while but does not solve the infection. A urinalysis - complete with a urine culture - is the only way to determine the correct treatment for an infection. It is probably recurring because the underlying cause is not being addressed and treated appropriately.

Keep us posted and best of luck to you and Bruce.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the comments everyone - lots to think about. He doesn't seem to be in any discomfort at the moment so will try and increase his water intake at the moment (get a water fountain, reduce kibbles) and if it doesn't improve in the near future, will take him in to rule out an infection.

Considering it disappeared for a week and now has returned, would that make it less likely to be an infection?

Will of course keep everyone updated. Thanks again!
Just to throw this out there for you, had a one year old cat get blocked 100% twice (medical emergency) while eating wet and dry, and wiping out the dry food completely did the trick, never another problem.
Also...he has a great name :thumbsup:
-Bruce

allesaurus

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The anti-inflammatory, along with the other meds (probably antibiotics) likely kept it at bay, but wasn't the exact answer - hence the reason for it returning. And, if the antibiotic wasn't the right one, it can help for a while but does not solve the infection. A urinalysis - complete with a urine culture - is the only way to determine the correct treatment for an infection. It is probably recurring because the underlying cause is not being addressed and treated appropriately.

Keep us posted and best of luck to you and Bruce.
Was Metacam, but comment still holds true!

allesaurus

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi guys,

Update on Bruce for readers that may have similar issues. To start, he's doing well. However, it seems like he is not handling his dry food very well (a good brand too - Ivory Coat) but I think this is because he doesn't drink enough water. Tried a water fountain as well but he just looks at it.

So for now he is just on normal wet food and there are no more issues but I would predict symptoms would return if I put him back on his dry food.

My next step will be selecting a urinary care dry food as I think it's pretty important for their oral health and if anyone has any suggestions for getting cats to drink more water, please let me know.

Appreciate everyone's comments! I really had no idea cats were this easily prone to urinary problems, especially this early in their lives.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The dry food won't help a bit with oral health. This is an old canard that has proven to be wrong. Switch him to all wet food, and mix in a couple tablespoons full of water. Mingo is prone to crystals, and this is what I do. I also feed him Fancy Feast Gravy Lovers, which is low in ash, and add the water to it. So far, we haven't had any recurring crystals. Mingo will only drink water out of the toilet, so I keep them clean and let him do it.

Genesis123

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cats get to much dry food -- which I always feel promotes UTIs -- so, I make sure they get (canned) fish with straight (pure) cranberry juice (CJ) mixed in to it. Tuna, salmon, mackerel, usually. Humans use it to sure & prevent UTIs -- it works for cats, too. I use it to cure & prevent UTIs of my cats.** In 18 years of having cats, I can only think of three UTIs -- and, then, I knew they had been on dry food too long without any preventative measures. I treated them, successfully, with tuna & CJ.

CJ is, also, an anti-inflammatory. It's natural and can't do any harm to your cat. [In my opinion. Note: I am not a vet.]

As for getting a cat to drink more "water" -- my cats like the juice from canned vegetables (peas, carrots, mixed vegetables, green beans....). I think it's also helpful to have several water dishes around. Besides a couple big bowls, I have a couple tuna cans with water in them (located other places the cats might pass by) -- the cats use them all when they are indoors. (Outdoors, I notice they drink from whatever is closes, convenient -- like a water puddle instead of walking 10 feet to their clean, fresh water bowl. LOL. Hence, the tuna cans.) I always announce when there's clean water (in their big bowls): "Clean water. Drink your water!" I think it helps -- draws attention to the fresh water. I had a fountain, once. My cats loved it. I'd get another, but they are so good about drinking water. Too, my cats tend to like "room temperature" water -- without ice, for example.

Hope this helps. :)

** I put one-half to three-quarter capful in a 5-oz. can of tuna, as prevention; a full capful in 15-oz. cans of salmon and mackerel... as prevention. I put a full capful in 5-oz. of tuna for cure, plus taking them off dry food and give them the tuna/CJ mix for 4 days, at least.... (or) until I feel the cat is well over it. (Do not use "cocktails" or CJ blends.)

Stinky15

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hi guys,

Update on Bruce for readers that may have similar issues. To start, he's doing well. However, it seems like he is not handling his dry food very well (a good brand too - Ivory Coat) but I think this is because he doesn't drink enough water. Tried a water fountain as well but he just looks at it.

So for now he is just on normal wet food and there are no more issues but I would predict symptoms would return if I put him back on his dry food.

My next step will be selecting a urinary care dry food as I think it's pretty important for their oral health and if anyone has any suggestions for getting cats to drink more water, please let me know.

Appreciate everyone's comments! I really had no idea cats were this easily prone to urinary problems, especially this early in their lives.
I suggest you read this:
Feeding Your Cat: Know the Basics of Feline Nutrition – Common Sense. Healthy Cats.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi guys,

Can you add water to his wet food? Even a spoonful or two will help.
If you do bring dry food into the equation, I'm skeptical that urinary diets do a whole hell of a lot but it might be worth a shot, but start slow and stop if you see any signs of returning symptoms. (I've never used urinary care dry food for cats, so I'm only going by my own assumptions of course.)
The dry food won't help his teeth stay clean or get clean unfortunately, if only it were that easy :( Some vets still try to tell us this, but if it were the case, 90% of pets are on dry food only diets and wouldn't need dental cleanings all the time if dry food somehow kept their teeth pristine.