Urinary bladder problems again ?!!

Seunie9

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi , here again my problems with my 5 yo male , he is neutered , he is a healthy cat , a month ago we noticed his many many trips to the litter but nothing came out , we rushed to the vet , she told us it's cystitis no blockage and got antibiotics , them after two weeks he got the same symptoms , urinalysis was done and we got home w antibiotics and prednisolone , today after two weeks again he got the symptoms yesterday but he peed and was fine I called my vet and she told me to watch him closely he peed twice yesterday but he did many trips to the litter box and today he is doing it and he threw up once , I am rushing to our vet but it's 2 hours away from home so it's a long trip and I am anxious , I don't know , I am totally lost , will this last for the rest of his life , is there is anything we can do more , we will do blood tests and urine culture today !

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. See what comes of the blood tests and urine culture - there actually may be more going on than just cystitis. And, generally speaking, cystitis is not responsive to antibiotics unless an actual infection is identified - so, I am guessing the urinalyses that were done indicated an infection? If so, the urine culture may be of benefit since it will help to identify the best antibiotic for your cat's specific type of infection. Sometimes a broad spectrum antibiotic can help reduce the level of infection but not completely eradicate as a more specific antibiotic can do.

With cases of non-causal cystitis, sometimes anti-inflammatories will help as there is typically some inflammation in the bladder/urinary tract. Cystitis may also cause bladder spasms, so perhaps ask the vet about an anti-spasmodic. Bladder spasms can cause a cat to feel like he has to go when he really doesn't necessarily need to - that could explain his trips to the litter box without actually peeing. Cystitis can also be painful, which might explain why he threw up. So, another thing to ask about is a mild pain medication and whether that would be appropriate while you try to get him through whatever is going on.

Here is a TCS article about cystitis in case that might help you any.
Feline Idiopathic Cystitis – How To Improve Your Cat’s Quality Of Life – TheCatSite Articles

Good luck at the vet! Keep us posted!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Seunie9

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi. See what comes of the blood tests and urine culture - there actually may be more going on than just cystitis. And, generally speaking, cystitis is not responsive to antibiotics unless an actual infection is identified - so, I am guessing the urinalyses that were done indicated an infection? If so, the urine culture may be of benefit since it will help to identify the best antibiotic for your cat's specific type of infection. Sometimes a broad spectrum antibiotic can help reduce the level of infection but not completely eradicate as a more specific antibiotic can do.

With cases of non-causal cystitis, sometimes anti-inflammatories will help as there is typically some inflammation in the bladder/urinary tract. Cystitis may also cause bladder spasms, so perhaps ask the vet about an anti-spasmodic. Bladder spasms can cause a cat to feel like he has to go when he really doesn't necessarily need to - that could explain his trips to the litter box without actually peeing. Cystitis can also be painful, which might explain why he threw up. So, another thing to ask about is a mild pain medication and whether that would be appropriate while you try to get him through whatever is going on.

Here is a TCS article about cystitis in case that might help you any.
Feline Idiopathic Cystitis – How To Improve Your Cat’s Quality Of Life – TheCatSite Articles

Good luck at the vet! Keep us posted!
Thanks , I really appreciate ur advice , yes the urinalysis indicated infection and the vet prescribed broad spectrum antibiotics (cifixime) w prednisolone , he shows symptoms when we stop medics idk what's weong but the vet reassured me that this maybe a flare up cz he peed yesterday and today peed like two drops , I hope this is true , I am stuck in traffic , hope to get to the vet asap

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
One of my cats had a UTI and the antibiotics did not work so I had them run a culture on his urine. Turned out only two of the many, many antibiotics out there would work on his particular infection. Once he took those for two weeks it went away. You might ask them to run a culture. Not saying that is the root of all his issues, but it might at least help.

Stress can play a large part in cystitis. Has he been under an unusual amount lately? Anything at all change in his life recently?

Seunie9

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
One of my cats had a UTI and the antibiotics did not work so I had them run a culture on his urine. Turned out only two of the many, many antibiotics out there would work on his particular infection. Once he took those for two weeks it went away. You might ask them to run a culture. Not saying that is the root of all his issues, but it might at least help.

Stress can play a large part in cystitis. Has he been under an unusual amount lately? Anything at all change in his life recently?

[/URL]
Yes we asked for a culture , we couldn't get the same day as his bladder was empty , we could take it today morning and we are waiting for the results
About the stress we left him and the other cats for three days w my dad and this never happened before so I think this maybe the cause

Seunie9

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Update : my boy wasn't blocked when we arrived at the vet clinic , the vet even told me the bladder was too small , the vet run blood tests and it's normal thank god I was really worried abt the results , we couldn't get the urine culture cz his bladder was empty and we waited for hours in the clinic but we failed , today we managed to take the sample and we will wait for two or three days for the results , but he is fine now , thanks for everyone's help