Urinalysis Results - High Ph

xcourtney3

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My cat has a urinalysis last month, and I just saw the results today. His pH was incredibly high - 8.5. But everything else was normal - no crystals, etc.

What do you think about this? Should I be concerned?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

xcourtney3

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I should also add that this was on canned food, and he was so stressed at the time he had to be sedated

lalagimp

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maybe it's temporary and it was stress. You can get those pH testing strips and check his urine from time to time and see how he's doing. Tommy had crystals and blocked at an 8, and that was on dry food. Later on months down the road when his FLUTD started acting up again he was at a 7 and had been on raw for three months. I haven't had him rechecked since February but we started adding Cranberry Relief to his food. He got it twice a day for two weeks and then just 1 time per day two days a week. His raw is spread out over 5 small meals per day.

missmimz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you're feeding kibble, that's probably the culprit. Try and do at least 50/50 wet and kibble, but ideally move towards all wet food. Add a water fountain to encourage drinking if you don't already have one.

xcourtney3

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
This was on 100% wet

xcourtney3

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Friskies