URI Recovery - Wobbly, Weak cat

Kazbo93

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My 5yo male suddenly came down with something almost 2 weeks ago. I found him barely moving one morning and noticed 1 of his third-eyelids was showing so I knew something was wrong. I brought him to a vet and they said he had a high fever and was very docile (and usually he hates strangers). They gave him a convenia and anti-inflammation shot and they took blood & urine tests and x-rays. When they got the results - all he could tell me was that he had indications of an infection but they never tested him for anything specific so he could only speculate that it was a possible URI or UTI. The next few days he developed congestion with sneezing, coughing and runny nose so we figured it was most likely a URI.

Behavior wise he wasn't as talkative or as active as he normally was - usually he's very chatty and has at least 2 bouts of zoomies per day. Lately he's barely meowing, doesn't have a lot of energy, and isn't eating as much as he usually does. His eyelid has started to go back to normal and his congestion has definitely improved. For the first week after the visit he would eat most of 1 can of wet food, barely touching his dry food until the last 2 days he's barely had any appetite for the food at all. I bought him a new type of food that comes in a pouch and when I offer it to him by hand, he gladly laps it up. So it's not that he's refusing to eat, maybe just too tired?

Today I'm writing here because I'm concerned as we come up to the 2nd week since his visit. I was told the antibiotic shot only lasts 2 weeks and I'm worried that his condition is no longer improving and what if it's not a URI?? - but maybe I'm being overly cautious and cats are just like this while the infection works it's way out. My 1 concern is that he's seemed a bit wobbly yesterday and today, he was able to jump on and off things but sometimes he was a little unbalanced, he's usually more graceful. This could be from his lack of eating the last 2 days (he had some nibbles so not nothing but not substantial) but wanted to see if anyone else experienced this type of symptom from a cat in recovery?

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My 5yo male suddenly came down with something almost 2 weeks ago. I found him barely moving one morning and noticed 1 of his third-eyelids was showing so I knew something was wrong. I brought him to a vet and they said he had a high fever and was very docile (and usually he hates strangers). They gave him a convenia and anti-inflammation shot and they took blood & urine tests and x-rays. When they got the results - all he could tell me was that he had indications of an infection but they never tested him for anything specific so he could only speculate that it was a possible URI or UTI. The next few days he developed congestion with sneezing, coughing and runny nose so we figured it was most likely a URI.

Behavior wise he wasn't as talkative or as active as he normally was - usually he's very chatty and has at least 2 bouts of zoomies per day. Lately he's barely meowing, doesn't have a lot of energy, and isn't eating as much as he usually does. His eyelid has started to go back to normal and his congestion has definitely improved. For the first week after the visit he would eat most of 1 can of wet food, barely touching his dry food until the last 2 days he's barely had any appetite for the food at all. I bought him a new type of food that comes in a pouch and when I offer it to him by hand, he gladly laps it up. So it's not that he's refusing to eat, maybe just too tired?

Today I'm writing here because I'm concerned as we come up to the 2nd week since his visit. I was told the antibiotic shot only lasts 2 weeks and I'm worried that his condition is no longer improving and what if it's not a URI?? - but maybe I'm being overly cautious and cats are just like this while the infection works it's way out. My 1 concern is that he's seemed a bit wobbly yesterday and today, he was able to jump on and off things but sometimes he was a little unbalanced, he's usually more graceful. This could be from his lack of eating the last 2 days (he had some nibbles so not nothing but not substantial) but wanted to see if anyone else experienced this type of symptom from a cat in recovery?
Hello K Kazbo93 and man cat and welcome to TCS! Well, there are a lot of questions. Does he ever go out? *Experts recommend keeping cats indoors only for their safety, health and wellbeing, and I agree. My cats are alway indoors only.* Is he neutered yet? *He should be!* Can you consult with another vet for a second opinion/possible tests? We here at TCS are not vets and we cannot give diagnoses. But your cat's health is the most important thing, as he is in your care. Personally, I have not had this experience. Some cats do take awhile to come out of anaesthesia after spay/neuter or other surgery; and some cats do have reactions to different drugs. I have reactions to antibiotics myself (nausea, mainly). If you can put steps or low stools/other furniture in places where he likes to jump, this may be helpful right now; or try to keep him from jumping until his stability returns. Maybe you can lift him up onto places he loves until he is all well again? I would definitely schedule a followup vet visit with this or another vet as soon as possible. Always best to be safe. And please update us...thanks! *PRAYERS* for your sweet cat's health!

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
If his congestion is improving, but his appetite is waning and he appears to have less energy, something sure seems to be wrong. He should be getting and acting better, not worse. I would DEFINITELY get him back in for another Vet visit, and sooner than later. Convenia is often given for the convenience of it (really, I think that's where the name came from), but it doesn't work as well as other antibiotics, plus any side effects can last for a few months. Lethargy and loss of appetite,unfortunately, can be side effects of it :sigh:

I would say he needs to be checked again to evaluate whether this is a side effect from the medication or whether something else is going on.

:vibes::vibes::vibes:

tnl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
One of my cats came down with a kitty cold but he didn't have a fever. He was miserable but he ate pretty good. We took him to the vet because he was getting worse. The vet suggested an immune booster and sold us L-lysine powder to put in his food. He improved but our 5 other cats got it. Their symptoms varied as some wouldn't eat much, probably because they couldn't smell their food. They all slept a lot which was good as they need to rest to fight it. I don't agree with the convenia and anti-inflammation shot especially when they don't know what they are treating exactly and the fact they both can cause some nasty side effects. I would give it time since he's improving but also talk to your vet about using L-lysine or some type of immune booster as they do seem to help. All of my cats are over it now but it did take a couple of weeks.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
One of the side effects of Convenia is excessive lethargy. I've had 2 girls get the shot through the years and they both were almost zombie like for about 10-14 days. The doctor will tell you that the shot lasts for 2 weeks, but it actually stays in the body MUCH longer. You can do a search of this forum for Convenia.With this reaction, make sure you let your vet know that how your kitty has responded and don't allow him to get another shot. I am personally not a fan and my vet knows not to ever give it to my kitties. Keep him hydrated and keep him eating and he should recover. Sadly, it just has to work its way out of his system.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kazbo93

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
One of my cats came down with a kitty cold but he didn't have a fever. He was miserable but he ate pretty good. We took him to the vet because he was getting worse. The vet suggested an immune booster and sold us L-lysine powder to put in his food. He improved but our 5 other cats got it. Their symptoms varied as some wouldn't eat much, probably because they couldn't smell their food. They all slept a lot which was good as they need to rest to fight it. I don't agree with the convenia and anti-inflammation shot especially when they don't know what they are treating exactly and the fact they both can cause some nasty side effects. I would give it time since he's improving but also talk to your vet about using L-lysine or some type of immune booster as they do seem to help. All of my cats are over it now but it did take a couple of weeks.
Thank you so much for your reply. I was reading it could take 7-21 days and so far we are on day 11 so it could definitely still be the initial URI making him so tired. I was especially worried today because he seemed to be wobbly and unbalanced when walking around and the internet was scaring me and making me think the absolute worse. However, for the last 2 days he barely ate at all so it could definitely be related to that. Otherwise his eyelid has improvised, he used his box and he was happily getting cuddles from us. I was practically spoon feeding him and he was happy to eat it, just too lazy to go to his bowl I guess. We’ll keep watching him *fingers crossed*

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kazbo93

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
One of the side effects of Convenia is excessive lethargy. I've had 2 girls get the shot through the years and they both were almost zombie like for about 10-14 days. The doctor will tell you that the shot lasts for 2 weeks, but it actually stays in the body MUCH longer. You can do a search of this forum for Convenia.With this reaction, make sure you let your vet know that how your kitty has responded and don't allow him to get another shot. I am personally not a fan and my vet knows not to ever give it to my kitties. Keep him hydrated and keep him eating and he should recover. Sadly, it just has to work its way out of his system.
This is very helpful to know! He has been sooooo sleepy just curling up and sleeping the day away in one spot. Only getting up to use the box and possibly eat. We are on day 12 tomorrow and his congestion cleared up, his third eyelid is returning to normal. He is still low energy but as I mentioned, the wobbly/unbalanced walking had us especially worried that this could have progressed into something more life threatening. But otherwise he seems well! His coat is still shiny and soft, he’s been able to regularly clean himself. He is happy to get cuddles and pets, doesn’t show any signs of having any pain near his legs or his stomach. He used the box today! Just hoping that with another week or 2 of rest, he can return to his normal chatty, energetic self 😢

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
WOW. I've never had cause for any of my cats to get Convenia, but it sounds like I'd avoid it if possible. I know there may be times when it's necessary but if there is a more natural and less-side-effects alternative, I'd certainly investigate it and ask for it.
K Kazbo93 You mention that he isn't able to regularly clean himself. If need be, you could try KittyWipes or similar product (like baby wipes, but formulated to be safe for cats) or give him a hip bath if he'll let you -- just run some warm water in the sink, lower his hind quarters in, use some cat-safe shampoo, rinse, and towel him dry. It's not as scary as a full bath and cats don't ever need those unless they get into something very offensive/dirty.