Urgent! Very Ill Kitten

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I just came across this thread and read through hoping the posts would get more positive as I scrolled down. So I was so happy to see the latest update stating that JoJo is eating and drinking on her own. Fingers crossed for continued improvements. :crossfingers:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jojo’sMommy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
And that' what we are here for! Now, we do want lots of pictures, you know.
We did few photo shoots just for you. Jojo sends you lots of hugs and kisses.

Update: Jojo has recovered. She has gained weight, has regular bowel movements, full of energy, healthy, and her voice is back. Just days I was force feeding her to keep her alive, now I can’t get her to stop eating.

At first I didn’t think Jojo would survive. Had it not been for you guys and this site, I don’t think she would’ve survived. Thank you all for saving her. Jojo and I send you our love. Here are few photos I took of her, enjoy.

Attachments

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
WHAT a beautiful little girl she is! We pointed the way, but it was your total care and determination that pulled her through!

Jojo’sMommy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
WHAT a beautiful little girl she is! We pointed the way, but it was your total care and determination that pulled her through!
I’m sad to report Jojo may have another issue. She is losing so much hair and color of her fur is changing. She was originally a black cat, but now the color of her legs and hands have turned brown. The hair loss is astounding, in just few days she lost so much hair you can easily see the skin beneath her fur.

I’m doing research on this and trying to figure out if I can do something for her.

Her diet consists of raw meat, and chicken breast. On the rare occasion I might give her heart or liver. We stopped giving her the raw fresh goat milk after she started eating on her own. There aren’t any cat food available so I don’t have any option. I’m assuming the issues with her fur may be due to lack of proper nutrition. If so what should I feed her to help her get those nutrients? And if it’s not nutrient deficiency then what could it be?

P.s I’ll take pictures of her later when is she calmer, right now she is very hyperactive and doesn’t want to be held.

Last edited:

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If you can order online, I know for a fact that she MUST have taurine, which is available as a suppliment.

PLEASE post this question in the Nutrition forum! There are a lot of very knowledgable folks over there who can help you track down what she needs!

Jojo’sMommy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If you can order online, I know for a fact that she MUST have taurine, which is available as a suppliment.

PLEASE post this question in the Nutrition forum! There are a lot of very knowledgable folks over there who can help you track down what she needs!
I can get stuff sent to me. I’ll start a new thread there. Thank you.

Jojo’sMommy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Put the link here, if you will, so we can follow you over there! Jojo and her health are very important to us!
Jojo is sick yet agian! 2 nights ago she became ill all of a sudden. She began vomiting then had diarrhea. This morning she thew up 5-6 live roundworms. She isn’t eating and I’m not forcing her to eat this time around. She is drinking, and I’m giving her the electrolyte drink mixture.

I don’t know what to do at this point. She is still active, but I can see she got weaker. She meows more than usual. And now she wants to go outside, she is getting bored being an indoor kitten. I took her to an area outdoors to play to give her a change of scenery but she was too scared an hiding behind me. I don’t know what she wants.

For the past 2 weeks she has grown to be extremely attached to me. It was cute at first but now I’m starting to worry. She won’t sleep if I’m not in the same room. I can’t do chores because she wants to sit under me. Every step I take she follows (I nearly step on her). If I go to the bathroom she is sitting scratching the door waiting for me to come out or I let her in. If I get dress to leave she freaks out and starts meowing, blocks the door so I don’t leave and once I leave she meows non-stop for 30 minuets and waits by the door. She sleeps with me during the night. I can’t do work and get basic things done because she wants me to hold her. She literally behaves like a human infant!

Ugh I don’t know, I’m exhausted. She is not sick and for the past two weeks I can’t separate from her.

What med is good for roundworms? And should I give her raw fresh goat milk?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
What med is good for roundworms? And should I give her raw fresh goat milk?
Yes, continue with this goats milk. Rereading the thread; if you give her lotsa of meat, chicken bits, heart and liver, its apparent she lacks calcium and fat. The easiest way to get calcium and some fats is this goats milk.
You can melt in some butter for a fat source. Or give raw egg yolk if you dont have problems with salomonella in eggs in your place (several years ago it was common in many countries). Mix in this egg yolk with something else, for example goats milk.

Re dewormer: Threwing up several alive roundworms hints a rather heavy infection. heavy this in itself could explain most of her symptoms.
Pyrantel (p. poaomate) is good and mild. There are several prescription free medicines you can get OTC.
Google some though - to safeguard you dont get something fishy with additions.

Alternatively you can use some mild allround preparate, as Milbomax or Drontal.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
StefanZ StefanZ knows this stuff as well as anyone, and better than most! Let us know how she is doing.

Wanting to go out and being afraid when out are very normal, especially for a young kitten. Wanting out and being comfortable with actually being out are two different things. If you want her to be able to go out, then many very short excursions are best...even sitting with her in the open doorway will help her get used to all of those sights and sounds.

At her age, it is very natural for her to go through a clingy phase...you are the only mama she has ever known, or that she remembers. She'll get braver as she gets older. Hang in there!

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wouldn’t let her outside at all until she is well. She really needs to be older and vaccinated and spayed before being exposed to anything else.

She also desperately needs a dewormer, and appropriate nutrition.

I fear she will not become well otherwise.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Please have her treated immediately for the round worms. They are clearly making her sick. Do not let her outside at all for now. Poor kitty!

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I should have made clear that getting her out should happen AFTER she is fully healthy again, but I know how conscientious you are with her, so I'm sure you wouldn't let her anywhere near outside until she is, anyway!