Urgent! Very Ill Kitten

Jojo’sMommy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello everyone, I brought home a stray kitten 6 days ago. Her name is Jojo. I don’t know much about cats but I’m guessing perhaps she may be 10 weeks old. She appeared healthy but when I brought her home the next day I noticed her stool was hard, her butthole looked a little swollen. I figured she must be constipated. She ate just fine and drank a lot the first 2 days. Then her appetite decreased, she barely ate but continued to drink. She came down with a very bad fever 2 nights ago, today is her 3rd night. We don’t have any vets here unfortunately.

I tried to reduce the fever by spraying/coating her fur with water. Today I began giving her Amoxicillin (mix the powder with little water), gave her very small dosage through the syringe. I also made her an electrolyte drink today. We’ve been forcing her to drink for 2 days now through syringe otherwise she would’ve died from dehydration. She is extremely weak, she can barely keep her eyes open. She is in a lot of pain. She can’t meow, lethargic, she has teary eyes, she makes weird noises at times and it sounds like she is in pain.

I really don’t know what to do, I’m extremely heat broken and watching her die before my eyes. She is also very traumatized, she is afraid of us now because we’ve been forcing her to drink. Help!!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jojo’sMommy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Out of the 6 days she pooped 2 times. She has had several unsuccessful visits to her litter so she is still constipated. She urinates just fine. She stopped eating and drinking yesterday, so we began forcing her to drink through syringe.

Please pray for my little one. Any tips and advise is much needed.

~Jojo’s Mommy

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Has she had anything to eat? Either by syringe or eating herself?

Jojo’sMommy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Has she had anything to eat? Either by syringe or eating herself?
I tried feeding her today by blending small piece of cooked chicken breast with some coconut oil and water. Feeding her was unsuccessful, I probably got her to eat half a teaspoon. We’re forcing her to drink through. She still has fever as well.

Jojo’sMommy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Last time she ate was 2 days ago

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Are there any rescues or shelters in your area who can help?

Jojo’sMommy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She fights back when we try to get her to drink. Is this normal? It’s like she wants to die.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
What country are you in?

I'm sorry your cat is sick. Please continue trying to get food and fluids into her and keep us posted.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Have some glucose sugar in this electrolyte fluid. Say 1 tea spoon in a coffe cup. Use honey if you cant get clucose sugar proper. Glucose sugar in honey doesnt need to be digested and will help to keep her aalive

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:alright: I am so sorry that you both are going through this awful time. It sounds like she has a blockage of some sort. You are doing well on trying to keep her hydrated and using coconut oil and antibiotic. Have you tried putting the coconut oil on her rectum? It should be soothing. Since you do not have veterinary care available, you will have to rely on traditional medicinal herbs unless you can try a laxative such as lactulose or miralax, although if she ate a string or something, that might make things worse. Herbs such as slippery elm and red raspberry leaf teas are gentle and can be given orally as well as used as an enema. Is there any way that a human doctor could xray her insides for you?
Prayers and vibes for healing for JoJo.:vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes:

Jojo’sMommy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You’re all amazing and very companionate. Thank you all so much for the help.

Update: Last night Jojo passed soft stool, about the length of my index finger. She was in pain and crying while doing it, but she did it. Overall I’m starting to see a bit of improvement. Her fever has gone down. She is still weak, but we’ll continue keeping her hydrated and giving her antibiotic. I managed to get a hold of large syringe so she will get feed properly today.

I’m waiting for fresh goat milk, please let me know if I should give her some. From my research it’s good for kitten, but I’d like to confirm with you guys.

Again I appreciate all the help.

~Jojo’sMommy

Jojo’sMommy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
:alright: I am so sorry that you both are going through this awful time. It sounds like she has a blockage of some sort. You are doing well on trying to keep her hydrated and using coconut oil and antibiotic. Have you tried putting the coconut oil on her rectum? It should be soothing. Since you do not have veterinary care available, you will have to rely on traditional medicinal herbs unless you can try a laxative such as lactulose or miralax, although if she ate a string or something, that might make things worse. Herbs such as slippery elm and red raspberry leaf teas are gentle and can be given orally as well as used as an enema. Is there any way that a human doctor could xray her insides for you?
Prayers and vibes for healing for JoJo.:vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes:
Thank you for all the prayers. How exactly do I applh coconut oil to sooth her rectum? She passed soft stool late last night even though she appeared to struggle.

Unfortunately I can’t go to human doctors, animal welfare isn’t seen as a priority, they will think I’m crazy for caring about an animal.

Jojo’sMommy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You can feed her with a syringe by "mooshing" canned food up with water or the electrolyte fluid.
Thanks for the tip, I tried that few minutes ago. Problem is she spits out the food. Feeding her is a struggle. Is this normal for a sick kitten or is eating and drinking causing her pain?

Jojo’sMommy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
What country are you in?

I'm sorry your cat is sick. Please continue trying to get food and fluids into her and keep us posted.
I’m working in a 3rd world African country. They have lots of stray cats and dogs here. Will keep you all posted!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes goats milk is good. Sorry if I didnt mentioned it earlier. Coconut oil good too for the behind. Smear on from outside and add a drop or two to the food
You’re all amazing and very companionate. Thank you all so much for the help.

Update: Last night Jojo passed soft stool, about the length of my index finger. She was in pain and crying while doing it, but she did it. Overall I’m starting to see a bit of improvement. Her fever has gone down. She is still weak, but we’ll continue keeping her hydrated and giving her antibiotic. I managed to get a hold of large syringe so she will get feed properly today.

I’m waiting for fresh goat milk, please let me know if I should give her some. From my research it’s good for kitten, but I’d like to confirm with you guys.

Again I appreciate all the help.

~Jojo’sMommy
if she has constipation.