URGENT Stray Cat with Missing Nose, Crusty Skin and Super Skinny

justjesssss

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi Guys,
Today I found a stray cat in my front yard, it looks like it's in so much pain and has eaten two cans of tuna in the past hour. It won't let me get near it and the city council are taking like 3 hours to come get him, I'm scared he's going to run away. I'm also scared they might put him down. I was just wondering if there is any way I can get this cat to a vet myself? And if so how? Also from the photos and description do you know what will happen to the little one?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

justjesssss

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Oh sorry I didn't really explain what was wrong with him, I'm a bit stressed. Well he's extremely skinny, can't open his eyes very well (not sure of cause), missing his whole nose, has crusty grey skin? Inside ears and under some fur. He also hisses if I get to close.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Hi @justjesssss  

Thank you for trying to help this guy. Please don't let the council take him, they will have him put to sleep in that condition.

The best way to get scared or feral cats to the vet is in a humane trap. One like this.

Some vets and animal rescue places have them. You could call round the ones in your area to see if they will let you borrow one. If not the next best thing is to trap them in a pet carrier.

How close can you get to him? If you got a large dog carrier, put some food in the back and waited for him to go in could you get close enough to close the door on him?

I've taken in feral cats in worse looking condition than him and managed to nurse them back to health, but until a vet checks him over it's impossible to know how badly he's hurt.

Please keep us posted.

justjesssss

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Darn I was scared about that, we just couldn't get him and the neighbours were saying to call the council so I thought that was the only option, well it's been 4 hours since we called the council and they still aren't here, they told us to try and catch him ourselves, we did and he's run away so now I'm not sure what to do :(

Last edited by a moderator:

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
If you've fed him he'll be back.

Try to get a humane trap. Do you know if there are any groups that do TNR in your town? If you can borrow a trap from them bait it and leave it in your yard over night. Remember to check it every hour or so in case you catch any other wild life.

His injuries could have been caused by being in a cat fight. Intact toms do each other serious harm, but if you can get him to a vet you can get his wounds cleaned, get him neutered, get him a long lasting antibiotic shot and then release him again when he's recovered.

If you can't get a humane trap another option is to make a drop trap.

That's an option if he starts coming around to be fed regularly.

Poor guy, I hope you can catch him. He really looks like he needs some help

justjesssss

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you so so much, I feel so helpless right now because it's nighttime and I can't get a trap from anywhere, I'll definately will do my best, I just wish he knew I was trying to help him :/ I'll keep you updated on how it goes!

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
Poor thing!! Looks like he got hit by a car. I hope you manage to catch him and get him to the vets for treatment!

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Poor guy, bless you for trying to help him. Prayer going out for you to be able to catch this kitty, so he can get the help he needs!  He must be so scared. 

fishandbones

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Omg that poor thing. I couldn't imagine what pain he has to be in. Thank you for trying to help him. Trap him like others have said and go straight to an emergency vet. I hope everything turns out ok. You are in my prayers.