Urgent :: Pet Food Recall... Urgent!!! - TOXIN FOUND

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Bonnie1965

Yes, I am trying to avoid the wheat gluten just until we know more. Looks like 4 of the 10 varieties if Meow Mix pouches have wheat gluten.
Cluck a Doodle Doo - Deep Sea Delight - Maine Attraction - On a Wing and a Prawn. Just in case anyone else was wondering, too.

Looks like most of their pouches have tuna as first ingredient. Think I need to change his diet up a bit.
I just checked the box I got of Meow Mix wet food today.
The Chicken in Shrimp Sauce (market select) has Wheat Gluten in it. The other 2 in the box do not.

(PS, again to reiterate, meow mix has not officially or voluntaly recalled their wet food. I'm adding to bonnie's post of which you may want to avoid)

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have to say this makes me feel very lucky. I used to feed the Nutro pouches, but then a couple months ago Maggie turned her nose up at it & absolutley refused to eat it. I'm glad that she is Princess Picky Pants.

mamakitties

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm away for a weekend and this is what happens when I get back. I got so freaked out after hearing Nutro is on the list. Luckily, I've been feeding them the kitten cans so those are okay but I am a bit skeptical about the can food so I think I'm going to stop for a while until I hear more about the root of the cause. Just last Thursday, I was thinking of buying some pouches for them but I just had some bad feeling, which I can't really explain, so I decided to continue them on the cans. *whew* Who knows whether they have disclosed ALL the pet food. I feel they have something that they aren't disclosing.

For all the pet owners out there, please pay extra attention to your pet even if the food you are feeding aren't being recalled.

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I didn't see any info posted about the dates of when the food was sold. I found this on my local station's website.
"The recall covers the company's "cuts and gravy" style food, which consists of chunks of meat in gravy, sold in cans and small foil pouches from Dec. 3 to March 6."
Source: http://abclocal.go.com/wpvi/story?se...ies&id=4946669

That is scarey that they were sold since December!!!

rubsluts'mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
if it is indeed wheat gluten that's the problem causing all of this, I will make sure to read my labels from now on. Even though this hasn't affected me so far (as my two only eat loaf style), I did go through my cans a moment ago and read all the labels... I pulled eight cans (i give variety... if I try one food constantly, they stop eating it...), half Fancy Feast, half Purina Pro Plan... now I don't know if they are within the recall, but they do have wheat gluten, so they're out of the 'lineup' for now...

I did notice that a couple of my current brands have very good ingredient listings... I looked at so many cans' 'fine print' my eyes are a bit buggy... so I'll check them tomorrow... i think, though, that they were the ones I bought at Whole Foods a couple weeks ago. If anyone wants to know which brands...

Amanda

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm sure there are others like me, who don't want to feed our kitties anything sold under the brand names involved in this recall... so I took that huge itemized document and made this list of the brand names only, short enough to print and carry to the store with you. Hope it's helpful...

UPDATE: I had missed Authority, so I've added it. I'm so sorry! Mahybe we really ought to just list what's safe... it would be shorter...

CATFOOD BRANDS RECALLED
(Believed to be complete as of 17 March 2007)

Americas Choice, Preferred Pet
Authority
Best Choice
Companion
Compliments
Demoulas/Market Basket
Eukanuba
Food Lion
Fine Feline
Foodtown
Giant Companion
Good n Meaty
Hannaford
Hill Country Fare
Hillâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s Science Diet
Hy-Vee
Iams
Laura Lynn
Key Food
Li'l Red
Loving Meals
Main Choice
Nutriplan
Nutro Natural Choice
Nutro Max Gourmet Classics
Paws
Presidents Choice
Price Chopper
Priority
Save-A-Lot
Schnucks
Sophistacat
Special Kitty
Springfield Pride
Sprout
Total Pet, My True Friend
Western Fam
White Rose
Winn Dixie

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There are quite a few missing including the later volutary recalls, check out the main thread for links to all of the recalled food lists or call the company you buy food from to be sure

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mooficat

what a great idea - thanks very much- I'll be going into my vets to talk with her about it and how it is effecting Europe
People have seen the recalled food in Europe even though the official news reports say it is limited to Canada, US & Mexico as some food is exported without the pet food company's knowledge

leesali

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
half Fancy Feast, half Purina Pro Plan... now I don't know if they are within the recall, but they do have wheat gluten, so they're out of the 'lineup' for now

I have read the ingredients on a few cans of Fancy Feast and have found no wheat gluten? What flavors are you referring to?

kittydad

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well, I noticed that my food is on the list, but I do not feed my girls the canned stuff, only dry. so I guess my little ones are safe for now.

appleseed_1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CarolPetunia

As I read it, the brands are all store brands -- not name brands. So unless you're buying cheap store-brand food, you're probably safe. At least that's how it sounds to me...
WHATS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN STORE BRAND & NAME BRAND??

i happen to feed both iams and science diet!!!
i was told by the pet shop owner that they are good brands!!

in hong kong they are only taking in the wet can foods.
pillo and uno have been eating these brands since they were small.
can anyone suggest a good cat food (not wet)!!!!
thankyou!

wwgirlie1999

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
brother is wondering if it's only wet iams? he uses it for his dog & cats. thanks to all.

yobabsyo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Does anyone know if friskies is OK? I saw on the news that purina is recalling food now too, but i don't see friskies listed on their site as being recalled. (I just want to be sure before i feed my cats their can food)

hell603

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by leesali

half Fancy Feast, half Purina Pro Plan... now I don't know if they are within the recall, but they do have wheat gluten, so they're out of the 'lineup' for now

I have read the ingredients on a few cans of Fancy Feast and have found no wheat gluten? What flavors are you referring to?
It dosen't affect Fancy Feast / Pro Plan who are PURINA - they did not use Menu Foods to make their stuff. It is NOT Wheat that is the problem but tainted wheat which Menu Foods via a new supplier that caused this problem. Obviously the supplier has been dumped. It only affects the chunck and sauce type cans with specific best used dates.

Best to check the list to be sure. Here it is once more.

http://www.menufoods.com/recall/product_cat.html

hell603

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by yobabsyo

Does anyone know if friskies is OK? I saw on the news that purina is recalling food now too, but i don't see friskies listed on their site as being recalled. (I just want to be sure before i feed my cats their can food)
Friskies is fine...I believe they are Nestley..

hell603

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by wwgirlie1999

brother is wondering if it's only wet iams? he uses it for his dog & cats. thanks to all.
YES It's the chuncks and sause formulations for both cats and dogs. I just reposted the cat listing but here is the dog one as well.

http://www.menufoods.com/recall/product_dog.html

Wow with cats there are 40 Brands and god know how many flavors affected but with dogs it's a wopping 50 brands and many many more flavors.

I just got myself a sample pack from Life's Abundance - I already feed the dry - now let's see if he likes the wet! NO GRAINS HERE AT ALL!

hell603

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The IMPORTANT thing to know is that it only affects chuncks and gravy type wet manufactured between

December 3, 2006 and March 6, 2007

That is why the "best by dates" are super important!!

NOT every can in your house is necessarily affected - double check the list!

I DID!