Urgent: Orphaned Kitten Found

Padma

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello Everyone

So from around 5 pm onwards we heard faint meowing. As it continued, at 11.30 pm we went out and searched for the source. It turned out to be a small kitten, maximum 3 months old, trapped under a stone. We removed her from there and took her to a nearby vet hospital. It appears she has a broken leg, but the hospital said they'll take her only at 9 am tomorrow. So we brought her back home and it's around 1 am now.

Yogi, a cat who recently had kittens and has been spayed, is a stray that stays in our house. Her kittens died tragically 2 weeks ago.

Also, we don't have dry kitten food now. We gave the kitten wet food and she probably just had a few bites of it.

We put the kitten in a cage and let Yogi sniff her. No signs of aggression from her, but she snuck her paw inside the carrier and dragged the cloth inside towards her. We immediately took the carrier and placed the kitten in a separate locked room (my room).

Questions:
1. How do I look after the kitten overnight. I don't want her dying too.
2. How will Yogi react to her
3. What are the things I should be careful about

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!
Keep her warm, if you don't have a heating pad that you can set on low (be sure to cover with a couple towels so it doesn't get too hot), use a couple of socks partly filled with dry rice and gently heat them, not too hot, and put those in a nest of towels or blankets with her. Reheat as necessary.
She needs homemade Pedialyte, or homemade kitten glop - there are recipes for both of these on the internet. You could also rub her gums with raw honey.
If you have something that ticks like a clock, that will help her to feel a little better, or some low volume classical harp music.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Padma

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you, Furballsmom Furballsmom !

We made it through the night. We will be leaving for the vet in sometime.

Question is, do i let Yogi inside the house or not?

Padma

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the advise. She is at the vet now and they're doing some tests.
But I'm not sure whether it's a broken leg or paralysis. She was just dragging her right hind leg behind her. Any ideas? I can't wait till evening for the vet to tell me her diagnosis!

Padma

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello everyone
The vet said the kitty has a hip fracture. It's not possible to heal it surgically or non-surgically. Poor thing was apparently run over by something: -(
We brought Kitty back home. But Yogi simply walks away when we show her the kitty in the carrier.
Kitty is locked in a separate room. And Yogi has the whole house for herself .
I need to be with Kitty as she isn't even able to clean herself up, but Yogi becomes kind of jealous when I go to her room?

Any help will be appreciated .

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!
You're WONDERFUL for taking in this little baby!!

You're using just a cloth and warm water to help her clean up? In other words, try not to use any commercial/manufactured wipes because they have too many chemicals in them.

Are you able to keep the kitten warm? Do you have food that is ok for a kitten - wet food is ok if it's labelled as All Life Stages. My post #2 above gives a couple other things that can help.

Also there is Kitten Milk Replacer, also with recipes on the internet, that can help while she's healing - the more nutrients she gets from multiple types of foods, the better.

Try a ticking clock for the kitten (if the tick is too loud you can muffle it with a towel wrapped around the clock).

How To Bathe Small Kittens The Safe Way

The Essentials Of Kitten Nutrition

Here are couple things for Yogi;

Your older kitty may benefit from some relaxing music, classical harp music (for both the kitten and Yogi), and there's an app called Relax My Cat.
Also, from @mamany1953 try 1-3 teaspoonfuls of chilled chamomile tea, up to 3 times a day. Administer via syringe, placing the tip between the cheek and gum, and injecting SLOWLY, allowing time to swallow. Use the commercial tea bags (not loose leaf) to insure that you are getting German chamomile, which is safe for cats. English, which often grows in gardens, is not. This is gently calming without being sedating.

Do Cats Get Jealous? (and What To Do About It When They Do)

Padma

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Poor little thing. But what did the vet say about the kitti's future? Did he advise you how to take care of her? Could it be ascertained if she is in pain?
Hi

The vet said she isn't in any pain. She needs to learn to walk on 3 legs though. Poor fluff ball. She's the friendliest kitten I've ever seen.

Padma

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi!
You're WONDERFUL for taking in this little baby!!

You're using just a cloth and warm water to help her clean up? In other words, try not to use any commercial/manufactured wipes because they have too many chemicals in them.

Are you able to keep the kitten warm? Do you have food that is ok for a kitten - wet food is ok if it's labelled as All Life Stages. My post #2 above gives a couple other things that can help.

Also there is Kitten Milk Replacer, also with recipes on the internet, that can help while she's healing - the more nutrients she gets from multiple types of foods, the better.

Try a ticking clock for the kitten (if the tick is too loud you can muffle it with a towel wrapped around the clock).

How To Bathe Small Kittens The Safe Way

The Essentials Of Kitten Nutrition

Here are couple things for Yogi;

Your older kitty may benefit from some relaxing music, classical harp music (for both the kitten and Yogi), and there's an app called Relax My Cat.
Also, from @mamany1953 try 1-3 teaspoonfuls of chilled chamomile tea, up to 3 times a day. Administer via syringe, placing the tip between the cheek and gum, and injecting SLOWLY, allowing time to swallow. Use the commercial tea bags (not loose leaf) to insure that you are getting German chamomile, which is safe for cats. English, which often grows in gardens, is not. This is gently calming without being sedating.

Do Cats Get Jealous? (and What To Do About It When They Do)
I can't thank you enough for all the wonderful ideas you've suggested. Fortunately, Kitty is old enough to eat dry food (vet said so).

Also, I'm using just plain tissue paper to clean her up. Also, her poop seems to get stuck in her anus, so there's a little bit of gentle tugging I have to do. She keeps lying in her litter box, though.

Dad has gone to ask another vet Ortho if something is possible for this little fellow.

golondrina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The great news is that she is not in pain and that she can count on your kindness and generosity. Many 4 legged animals learn to walk on 3 legs usually when one has been amputated after an accident. I hope the affected leg will not be in her way.

wizegrl00782

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi! If I may add my 2 cents:D

A few years back I had a kitty that got run over & had a broken pelvis. The vet told me to keep her confined & on bed rest. Only to get up to go potty. She was on antibiotics in case infection set in but wasn't in pain. Of course Pixie was an adult kitty so I hope & pray your little baby will heal!:angel:
From what I last heard Pixie has a limp but shes been doing great! We had to give her to a friend that lived in the country due to us having to move into a small apartment.
I will keep you & your little kitten in my prayers!:angel::hearthrob:

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi again -
You're so welcome!
Tissue paper can leave little bits of lint, so if you can find a soft cloth that would work better :)
Try some Pedialyte, it will give her more hydration and moisture, which might help her poops to come out better.

Padma

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi! If I may add my 2 cents:D

A few years back I had a kitty that got run over & had a broken pelvis. The vet told me to keep her confined & on bed rest. Only to get up to go potty. She was on antibiotics in case infection set in but wasn't in pain. Of course Pixie was an adult kitty so I hope & pray your little baby will heal!:angel:
From what I last heard Pixie has a limp but shes been doing great! We had to give her to a friend that lived in the country due to us having to move into a small apartment.
I will keep you & your little kitten in my prayers!:angel::hearthrob:
Thanks for the reassuring message, wizegrl00782 wizegrl00782 ! And thanks a plenty for the prayers too. Just one thing, was Pixie able to eliminate waste and clean herself up after, during the recovery period?

Padma

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi again -
You're so welcome!
Tissue paper can leave little bits of lint, so if you can find a soft cloth that would work better :)
Try some Pedialyte, it will give her more hydration and moisture, which might help her poops to come out better.
Thanks a lot, Furballsmom Furballsmom ! Will try the soft cloth and the pedialyte.

Padma

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Also one more thing, what kind of activity can I expect from the kitten? Obviously, moving about would be a pain for her. She doesn't move much at all, hence I don't really have to put her in a crate. Is that normal? She doesn't seem to be interested in being active at all in the first place!

And how much poop can i expect?

Sorry for all these weird questions. I'm new to this but I really want to do my best for her.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
She, I think, is being smart right now and not moving much.
Later on you might keep an eye on her activity, she might need some therapy such as massaging for that leg and joints.
I don't know how much poop, hopefully she continues to eat well...

wizegrl00782

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the reassuring message, wizegrl00782 wizegrl00782 ! And thanks a plenty for the prayers too. Just one thing, was Pixie able to eliminate waste and clean herself up after, during the recovery period?
Yes she had no issues using the litter box. I just had to make sure it was low enough for her to drag herself in there. She did pretty good!:)