URGENT: Need input for very sick kitten

catpack

TCS Veteran
Kitten
Purraise
I'm just needing some brainstorming help.

Basic Info:
- "G" is 8 months old
- Had 5 litter mates + 2 "half" siblings. All 8 kittens have GI issues and are on strict diets (canned only.)
- Adopted 6 wks ago (along with 1 sibling and 1 "half" sibling.)
- She is loosing weight; but has a good appetite (she is at 5.2 lbs...should be at least 7+)
- No fever
- Elevated globulin level (11...normal is 7, 12/13 is maxed out.)
- She still plays; but, has less energy than normal. So, some lethargy; but, she doesn't sleep/lay around the house all day
- History of Campylobacter and GI issues, sporadic diarrhea. Her last episode of diarrhea was Saturday. She has had formed stool since.
- Sent out bloodwork yesterday (cobalamin panel.)
- "G"s litter mate brother has also been showing aggression towards her, so added stress not helping. "G" does fine with the other kitten, as does her brother.

Thoughts??? The vets are throwing around FIP. I am not sold on this idea at this time. We want to rule out all possibilities.

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I adopted 2 kittens a few years ago and both had FIP. They stopped eating. Stopped playing. Their stomachs swelled and the liquid the vet drew out was a dirty sort of yellow. Does that help in any way?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catpack

TCS Veteran
Kitten
Purraise
I too have had a cat that developed FIP (at 3 yrs of age.) Stormy's belly became distended just like your cats' and had difficulty breathing.

That is what has me stumped. "G" is eating, playing (though I think she tires quickly) and currently does not have a distended belly. She is however, VERY thin.

The vets jumped to the conclusion of FIP due to her elevated globulin level. Though I know this can be caused by other issues.

cprcheetah

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Globulin levels can be increased with diseases that cause chronic inflammation, FIP being one of them, however it can also be increased in diseases such as Inflammatory or Irritible Bowel Syndrome.  Has your kitty been Leukemia/FIV tested?  That's another possibility.

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You said weight loss, can you possibly connect the loss may be due to more/worse diarrhea lately, or has it always been pretty much how it is these days?

An 8 month old teenager should not lose weight, as you surely know.

Many vets, when they don't see symptoms pointing to a specific issue, and do see one or several symptoms that MAY be fip caused, will often consider fip as the problem.

This an easily be incorrect, especially with only the blood panel showing glob elevation.

FIP is so hard to diagnose, especially in the dry form, which would be more likely in her rather than the wet, as she would have some fluid either in her tummy or her chest area. It also progresses quite fast, unlike the dry form, which can go on for several weeks before it will actually take the cat to it's critical point.

catpack

TCS Veteran
Kitten
Purraise
All kittens were individually tested for FIV/FeLV at 7/8 wks and 10/12 wks of age (2 separate litters of kittens.) ALL kittens were negative.

She has not had any fever and is currently not on any medication, though we are looking into steroids.

There has been speculation that these kittens could have IBS.

Also, the diarrhea isn't constant. She has actually had normal stool going on 3 days this time.

She is not the only one of these kittens that has episodes of diarrhea. She IS the only one loosing weight.

I am told she typically has 1-2 times a day that she willing plays about 6-7 mins before laying back down. She stays close to everyone and watches their on-goings; but, she definitely doesn't act normal.

mycatwasthebest

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
is the bullying cat LETTING her eat? or stopping her from eating? is she throwing up after she eats cuz of him?

catpack

TCS Veteran
Kitten
Purraise
Their meals are supervised and, yes, she is getting to eat as much as she likes at each meal.

No, there has not been any vomiting.

catpack

TCS Veteran
Kitten
Purraise
Just an update:

G's cobalamin level was on the low end of the spectrum, so daily B12 injects have been started. She seems to show signs of more energy, though tires quickly. She wants to engage, she doesn't have the energy to do so.

She lost another 0.1 lbs. in a 2 day period. So, we are down to 5.06 lbs. Last Monday she weighted 5.25 lbs.

She's still eating well (8.25-8.5 oz of canned daily...the same as her siblings.) No diarrhea in a week.

Will get the more lab results Mon or Tues.

Last edited:

blackcat416

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I adopt and have adopted all my cats from the same shelter for over 38 years, Morris Animal Refuge. 4 were kittens but most were full adults over the age of 2. Before the adoption is complete they test the cats for FIV/FeLV. Once adopted Morris requires you to take the adoptee to your vet for its shots within 5 days. Normally I take them directly to the vet on the same day of adoption. My vet knows how nuts I am about my cats and especially the first visit. It's like when I take my car in for inspection, I want everything checked out
before I bring them home to meet their feline brothers and sisters. So full CBC's are always done, worms, ears, coat, eyes, fur, heart, limbs, if you can think if it, it gets done. My recent adoptee in December was a 4 month old black kitten who came with worms and was immediately treated. Her little tummy was so big it looked like she had a tennis ball inside her. Sophie is now 6 months old and after each meal she gets the tennis ball look because she is a little piggy when she eats. Some times her stool is loose because she got into the older cats hard food and also vise versa if the older cats eat the kittens hard food it's diarrhea for every one. All 7 of them. Then per the vet, we changed their eating habits, kitten chow is now kept in a special container with a lid that we feed to the kitten 4 to 5 times a day, the cats hard food is Wellness and IAM Chicken and poultry formula. NO beef or seafood during heavy diarrhea days. And at first it was Purina Forti Flora for everybody. We have since moved to Natural Factors human probiotics including all the humans in the house. The cats love it guess because of the goats milk, and diarrhearing is at a minimal. It has even helped with the kittens farting. What stink booms they were. So stop weighing you kitten on a postage scale every week, been there done that, and check the obvious things. Is the cat dehydrated? Is she on her feed? Does she have a fever? Do you even know that cats specific normal body temperature? Every cats is different. Is her coat shinny and glossy? Is her hair falling out? Has she stopped grooming herself? Are her eyes clear and free of fluids? And not the dry sleep we pick out of the corners, that's normal. So go back to basics before your vet bill is more then your mortgage payment this month. Good luck.

catpack

TCS Veteran
Kitten
Purraise
The "obvious" things have been checked. That is why I came here looking for possibilities outside the box. FIP was mentioned; but, that is not currently high on my list of possibilities (that may change if more symptoms develop.)

If you read my original post, you will notice that G has not had a temp and that she is eating fine. Her eyes are clear, no discharge of any kind and her 3rd eyelid does NOT show at all.

The main symptoms are weight loss and lack of energy.

Her food has been the same for about 4 months. All kittens from the litter have very sensitive systems and this particular food is what we know they can tolerate. They are on a canned only diet (Royal Canin Hypoallergenic Venison and Pea formula.) They currently eat 1/2 a can 3 times a day. Meal times are supervised (always have been) and G's appetite has been steady.

Finances are not currently an issue and we will continue to do testing as deemed necessary by us and our vets.

Possible causes we are considering:
- Absorbtion disorder (low cobalamin suggests this as well.)

- EPI

- IBD/IBS (at least 1 of this litter of kittens appears to have this...she is in a different home.)

- FIP

mycatwasthebest

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
outside the box WE GOOOOO

extrapolating her symptoms to humans...

she could have

* a heart defect or other problem...this is my #1 guess

*high or low (more likely) blood pressure

*a lung problem

*cancer...have the vet check for lumps with a fine-tooth comb

stephenq

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
On this page is a diagnosis flow chart for FIP that is recommended for Vets to use to assist with diagnosis.  http://www.dr-addie.com/treatment.htm

The direct link is http://www.dr-addie.com/httpdocs/downloads/FIP diagnosis flowchart Feb 14.doc

There is also a new USDA approved off label drug for the treatment of the dry version of FIP that has prolonged a significant number of cat's lives, and is discussed at length in the April issue of Cat Fancy magazine. An online article that discusses this is at http://www.catchannel.com/catalyst/new-cat-fip-treatment.aspx

A more detailed article is at http://www.vetmed.ucdavis.edu/ccah/...g photo-heading-blurb, optional right col.cfm

random gemini

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My vote is EPI. I have a friend with a great pyrenees with this condition. His symptoms and presentation were exactly the same as you're describing here. Mysterious weight loss. Diarrhea. He was eating like a horse and still losing weight. EPI is not very common in dogs. There is a test they can do to determine if your kitty has EPI or not. 

Here's an article I found on EPI in cats. I think this fits with what you describe very well. 

http://veterinarynews.dvm360.com/dv...ore-com/ArticleStandard/Article/detail/807422

catpack

TCS Veteran
Kitten
Purraise
Update
G had another ultrasound a week ago. There were several imflammated lymph nodes along her intestines. The vets are leaning toward her having dry FIP. She also had the cobalamin deficiency which has been addressed by B12 injections (now monthly.) She started Polyprenyl Immunostimulate on March 14. We also have her on a digestive enzyme.

Her appetite is still pretty good. She gets 1/2 a 6 oz can 3 times a day and eats 2 meals well. The midday meal requires some coaxing; but, she does still eat. (So a total of 9 oz is offered. She eats 7-9 oz daily.)

She is *very* slowly gaining weight (0.5-1 oz a week.) I just wonder where all her calories are going??

She only had 1 bought of a fever that last 2.5 days. It's been normal otherwise.

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
This is very common in fip, lack of fever, or a short period of fever, or mild fever, and mainly, none or even a lower than normal temp.

The main symptoms of dry fip are infact, lack of energy and weight loss.

I will be very interested in hearing updates about the Polyprenyl Immunostimulate and how kitty does on this.

Sorry you are going through this :(