Urgent: Mammary Cancer Battle, Any Other Options?

FelisCatus

RIP </3
Super Cat
Purraise
Hello everyone,

I have been a lurker for quite some time but after one of my cats oncologist visit today I am signing up and hoping I can get some insight on our current situation we are in and what we can do.

The following post will be quite long so please bear with me as we have been through a lot and I want to provide as much detail as possible to get the best responses possible.
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Background info on my cat fighting cancer:

Ontario, Canada (this is important regarding one of my options at the end)

Breed:
Domestic Shorthair (with a beautiful Tuxedo coat) and part Siamese

Weight:
5.5 lbs (she has always been this tiny her whole life)

Quality of Life:
67/70
I only take off some points due to her having to wear an e-collar to prevent licking of the ulcerating tumor which reduces mobility.

Diagnosed:
Early November with the below 2 issues
Issue #1:
Diagnosed with an ulcerating metastasized mammary cancer that has spread and a tumor is growing by her lung which will eventually cause pleural effusion

Issue #2 caused by #1:
The ulcerating tumor area has either become infected or necrotic (smells beyond terrible)
What we have tried so far in the following order:
-Our regular vet gave her an injection of Convenia antibiotics that lasts 2 weeks. Had x-rays, blood work, etc done. Was told we could try a radical chain mastectomy but to talk with an oncologist first.
-1 week into Convenia we started seeing an Oncologist via referral
-Oncologist prescribed Palladia (chemo) and Metacam 2.5ml every other day
-1 week after noticed the ulcerating tumor smells terrible so we tried Clevaseptine instead of another Convenia injection for 2 weeks. Was told a radical chain mastectomy is not recommended.
-On the day the Clevaseptine was running out we picked up another 2 weeks dosage as the smell never left and were advised to not get any more due to the infection being able to build up a resistance if we keep using it
-During this time we went for a re-check with our Oncologist, my cat is doing great and handling the Palladia + Metacam without any side effects, thought the tumor has stabilized
-Went back again today (Dec 27th) and when they pulled the scab off of the ulcerating tumor we were told the tumor has slightly grown, and the infection or necrotic tumor has not gotten any better (smells beyond terrible)
^Was advised to stop using Palladia as it might be hindering the healing of the infection. But to continue Metacam and was prescribed Marbofloxacin (another antibiotic). I also purchased Fortiflora after reading aroundonline about using probiotics alongside antibiotics.

Unfortunately a radical chain mastectomy (quote of $2,500) was never really an option as the tumor is irregularly sized and it would put tremendous strain on her little body to have the surgery. Even if we did get the ulcerating tumor removed there is another one growing by her lungs which would kill her regardless due to a collapsed lung.
Current Quality of Life:
67/70
She never had any side effects of any medication, blood counts/liver and such all come back as great. If the ulcerating tumor was not there you would never know something was wrong. I only take off some points due to her having to wear an e-collar to prevent licking of the ulcerating tumor which reduces mobility.
Current Options
1) Euthanize in ~2-3 weeks while her quality of life is still very high... this breaks my heart and I really do not want to go this route... I grew up with her and if she didn't have the tumor her quality of life would be purrfect
2) Try using CBD oil... surprisinlgy this seems very hard to get in Canada, I need to get a medicinal marijuana prescription for myself just to be able to order online. They are not sold in stores yet and the US does not ship here any more even though marijuana is legal here now
3) Try some kind of alternative/homeopathic medicine like Lifegold... I read some very good and some terrible reviews about this product saying it helped with cancer remission or completely took away all quality of life/killed their cat after 1-2 drops
4) Something else one of you may recommend!?

Honestly from looking above, it seems like it is time to say goodbye... after crying for 3 days non-stop when I learned she has cancer I thought things were getting better with Palladia but nope... back to square one and a drained bank account.

Thank you for reading and I look forward to reading your responses.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello
I personally am hoping you can find a way to obtain CBD oil, and you have my heartfelt thoughts and prayers!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I wish I had something more valuable to contribute to your situation, but I really don't. I will offer two things, however.

1.) a 67/60 for quality of life is pretty darn good. You have to be the one decide when it is time, but if it were my cat I couldn't give up on them just yet.
2.) what type of e-collar do you have? There are a few on the market that are pretty unrestrictive that are still effective. Like this one:

I guess I could add that it is my understanding the hemp oil is still available in Canada, perhaps you could give it a try just to see if it would help any??

I hope other members read your post soon and offer you some helpful tips/advice.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

FelisCatus

RIP </3
Super Cat
Purraise
Hi. I wish I had something more valuable to contribute to your situation, but I really don't. I will offer two things, however.

1.) a 67/60 for quality of life is pretty darn good. You have to be the one decide when it is time, but if it were my cat I couldn't give up on them just yet.
2.) what type of e-collar do you have? There are a few on the market that are pretty unrestrictive that are still effective. Like this one:

I guess I could add that it is my understanding the hemp oil is still available in Canada, perhaps you could give it a try just to see if it would help any??

I hope other members read your post soon and offer you some helpful tips/advice.
Thank you for the reply, in regards to:

1) Yes her quality of life is still high which is what makes the decision so much harder. I actually picked up a pack of sub-q fluids today as I noticed her third eyelid shows when she sleeps starting the other day. I want to rule out dehydration but even if it’s not that some extra fluids wouldn’t hurt.

2) She has a regular cone, I tried looking at my local Pet Smart, Pet Valu and private stores and they only have cones. I think I will try online at Amazon or elsewhere. Thank you for the suggestion!

3) Hemp oil is legal I believe, with mariajuana now being fully legal in Canada I would just be able to order from the government but from reading around online the CDB quantity per ml would be different vs. medicinal (which I am trying to obtain) and it would have THC and I do not want to get her high.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

FelisCatus

RIP </3
Super Cat
Purraise
This is one of the alternative collars on Amazon:
Turns out I wasn’t searching with the proper term at Petsmart, they are called ‘Inflatable Collars’.

I will be picking this one up tomorrow:

21st Century™ Essential Pet™ Protective Inflatable Pet Collar | dog Training Collars, Leashes & Harnesses | PetSmart

Can’t wait, my sick little girl will be so relieved that she isn’t getting caught on everything with her current rubber/plastic cone.

Now if only I had magic powers to make her cancer go away :(....

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Now if only I had magic powers to make her cancer go away :(....
Keep searching... you may not make it go away completely, but you just might make it go away for a while longer...or, at least make her feel better for as long as you can, in any way that you can. That you will do, I am sure.