[URGENT] Kittens found in shed

leaf

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
On sunday, I went out to my garden shed to grab a ladder, and I found three kittens and their mother. I have seen the mother around my house and street before, but never suspected she made a home in my shed! I've never had pets before, and I dont think I will be able to provide a good home for these animals since I am not home often myself. I contacted animal control, and they said I should wait 7 weeks before they will come to collect the kittens. Since sunday, I haven't seen the mother cat again, and I'm not sure if she returns to feed these young kittens. Is it normal for her to leave them for such long period's of time? I am worried that they will die or get sick of malnutrition. What should I do?

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Can you get close enough to the kittens to capture them? They need food do you know about how old they are? Do they take solid canned food?

This website can help you www.kitten-rescue.com

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

leaf

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the quick reply. Unfortunately, I've never had kittens before, so I dont know how old they are. Is it possible that the mother may be returning to feed these kittens, but she just doesnt spend too much time with them. Possibly she does it during the night. How should I check if they take solid food? If I take a picture of them, would you be able to tell me how old they are? Will the flash from the camera harm their eyes?

laceydf

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
These kittens are lucky they were found by a very caring person. I can't offer much information, but Hissy and the others can. I just wanted to tell you how wonderful you are for caring enough for their well-being.

Please keep us updated.

5catsandcountin

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Please look in your area for a rescue group. Animal control is not the place for them since they are always so overloaded. Most likely there is a rescue org who would be happy to come get them.

leaf

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the suggestions. I will definitely look into a rescue organization around the area. Keep the ideas coming.

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Where are you located? Some of us might be able to network and find help for you, depending on where you are located.

leaf

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by hissy

Where are you located? Some of us might be able to network and find help for you, depending on where you are located.
Thanks Hissy. I am located in Scarborough, Ontario (Greater Toronto Area)in Canada. If anyone knows some reputable cat rescue organizations around this area, please let me know. So far, I've contacted two and they both are filled to max capacity. Please help if you can.

leaf

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the links. Tomorrow I will phone each one because they're probably closed for tonight. In the meanwhile, what action should I take. Should I put out some cat food to attract the mother cat. Should I attempt to put some water or milk in a bowl for the kittens?

leaf

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
On sunday, my sister took some pictures of the kittens. Here's how they looked 2 days ago. I will try to get clearer shots tomorrow.

huggles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
oh goodness me - look at those adorable kittens

thankyou for caring enough to help them - bless you - good luck and I will most certainly be keeping an eye out on this thread

5catsandcountin

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Adorable!!

I would start holding them now...it does NOT take long before they can turn against human touch...the more contact the better because once they start moving around, it can be a lot harder to catch them.

leaf

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by 5catsandcountin

Adorable!!

I would start holding them now...it does NOT take long before they can turn against human touch...the more contact the better because once they start moving around, it can be a lot harder to catch them.
Good suggestion. Anybody have some ideas about how old they are, and if I should start feeding them. Also, what should I feed them? I've never had a pet in my life, not even a goldfish

pjk5900

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They look to me about 4 weeks or so.
That is my semi-educated guess.

You can buy cat milk at a pet supply store.
If the mother is gone this may help in the meantime till you can find a good place for them.

charcoal

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes they look about 4 weeks old. SO Cute!! There is a recipe for kitten glop you can make on the page hissy gave you. Made from household items. You could also try to introduce them to watered down canned food if they will take it.

5catsandcountin

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
yea, I would say around 4 weeks...there is kitten formula you can buy and feed...spend some time looking through the forum topics, I am sure you will find tons of answers to different questions popping in your head. Taking care of babies can be soooo fun...but if you are not there a lot to do it...again, a rescue group would be the best choice.

People like us, LOVE when kittens need foster homes, it gives me a baby fix

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
They really should see a vet, if you can capture them and put them into a carrier for transport to the clinic. They are likely flea ridden and fleas cause all sorts of problems in kittens. Do not use over the counter products on these babies, not flea shampoo, or flea treatment or anything, only let your vet guide you as to the safest products to use. They more then likely have worms, which is another reason they need food and a vet. www.kitten-rescue.com will guide you on how to care for these cuties!