Urgent: I'm so Sad about a Recent Event

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
How far can a cat jump out of a tree? One of my cats jumped 20 feet off a tree limb to the ground. I hope she's not laying somewhere hurt in the cold but I can't find her after 5 hours of searching. (She does take off a lot) but I really need some sleep this week. Anyone know?

amandag1

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Cats really have an amazing ability to land, typically if they jumped themselves they are able to handle it

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats really have an amazing ability to land, typically if they jumped themselves they are able to handle it
She saw me coming with something to help her down and jumped. So it really wasn't a choice for her. What I had to help her scared her. :(

KatherineE

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
A friend’s cat jumped 80-90 feet from a tree this summer. No serious injuries. She was mostly just hungry and dehydrated.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
A 20-foot jump isn't a big deal most of the time. However, she's had a scare, and may well hide to recoop for a bit. Give her 24 hours or so before you really worry. At least.

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
She returned and came running when she saw me with breakfast. I just need to be more careful in the future or I may have to move them farther away then 3 blocks (streets) as they get hurt so often under my watch. :(

Last edited by a moderator:

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
Vets in area refuse to tell me if she is walking ok. Ugh I"m so sad

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Vets can't say without examining the cat for legal reasons. You could charge them with malpractice if they said "she looks fine" and it later turned out she wasn't fine.

To me she looks like she's moving normally. Like you said, she just got up in the beginning of the video so she's stretching, but the few normal steps she takes look good. Smooth moving, no limp. In my non-expert but cat-filled-life opinion, she'll be fine :).

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
Vets can't say without examining the cat for legal reasons. You could charge them with malpractice if they said "she looks fine" and it later turned out she wasn't fine.

To me she looks like she's moving normally. Like you said, she just got up in the beginning of the video so she's stretching, but the few normal steps she takes look good. Smooth moving, no limp. In my non-expert but cat-filled-life opinion, she'll be fine :).
Thanks. Just making sure that what I'm seeing is not wishful thinking type seeing.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The most common injury with a jump from a high place is chipped top teeth (because their chin hits the ground). So if she lets you look at her mouth, see how her teeth are. But if it was onto grass they're probably ok.

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
The most common injury with a jump from a high place is chipped top teeth (because their chin hits the ground). So if she lets you look at her mouth, see how her teeth are. But if it was onto grass they're probably ok.
Yea she jumped onto soft grass still damp from the snow shower the day before.
She’s been missing all day. I’m s bit concerned.

Last edited:

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok I guess I do have another question. What can cause a cat to be fine going to sleep but then when waking up have a limp. Not severe but limping just the same. Ironically it is not the cat that jumped yesterday but her buddy. He does tend to have this issue more during the winter though and wondering if it's possible he could have arthritis. He really seems to want to just lay and sleep although he does get up to eat. Ideas?

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok I guess I do have another question. What can cause a cat to be fine going to sleep but then when waking up have a limp. Not severe but limping just the same. Ironically it is not the cat that jumped yesterday but her buddy. He does tend to have this issue more during the winter though and wondering if it's possible he could have arthritis. He really seems to want to just lay and sleep although he does get up to eat. Ideas?
As I was reading this, I was thinking arthritis too.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Cats get arthritis the same as humans and it is worse in winter. It also takes a while to loosen up when first getting out of bed.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
He could well have arthritis, and Sopdet could well be a bit tender for a day or two without an actual injury.