URGENT ideas needed - orphan kitten refusing to drink

KatKnapper

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi, Austkitten.  I would strongly suggest you find someone or an animal rescue organization that has experience with nursing newborns to guide you through this.  

victorysmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I agree with Kat Knapper. You do not want to take your chances. Please keep us posted. BTW, newborn, neonatal kittens need to eat every 3 hrs, I believe. An they need milk replacement and sometimes won't drink from the bottle. A vet/rescue can get the baby to eat and hydrate properly. Sometimes a giant task for a first timer. 

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise

I agree with Kat Knapper. You do not want to take your chances. Please keep us posted. BTW, newborn, neonatal kittens need to eat every 3 hrs, I believe. An they need milk replacement and sometimes won't drink from the bottle. A vet/rescue can get the baby to eat and hydrate properly. Sometimes a giant task for a first timer. 
better every two hours,  more often if weak and in crisis.   Every 3 hours if you need your nightly sleep...  :)

Goats milk is always an alternative, both as emergency kmr and supplement for older kittens and cats.

kittens mom

Kittens life was lost to a negligent veterinarian.
Top Cat
Purraise
In case this helps you or anyone else that reads looking for help.

My Toad was difficult when I took over feeding here at about 3 1/2 weeks.

1. Do not feel guilty if you have to force feed.

2 Sometimes if she wouldn't eat I would go ahead and stimulate her to defecate and pee and then go back to feeding.

3 I sat on a stool by my kitchen counter and used a rug sample to feed them on. I rolled up a towel and then the baby was able to press her paws on it while I got food into here.

4.I was not above scruffing her and getting the food in a drop at a time if that is what I had to do. They can't miss a feeding.

5 Mimic grooming. Using a rough washcloth

6. Be persistent in offering food. Toad went for kitten chow before she ever touched the formula/ KMR second step of wet food.

7. Remember to make eye contact and don't feel silly making trills and coos or letting the baby sleep on you touch , heartbeats , your breathing are part of your baby kittens needs.

Remember this is a brief period of time though the few weeks will seem like forever and a 24/7 job. It is also immensely rewarding  Others have given you amounts and frequency of feeding. Keep a daily record of what the kitten should consume and how much was taken in. Survival instinct is strong in kits but sometimes you have to kick start it. Again never feel guilty if you have to resort to force feeding. Being feral there is a good chance your kitten has worms.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise

In case this helps you or anyone else that reads looking for help.

My Toad was difficult when I took over feeding here at about 3 1/2 weeks.

1. Do not feel guilty if you have to force feed.

2 Sometimes if she wouldn't eat I would go ahead and stimulate her to defecate and pee and then go back to feeding.

3 I sat on a stool by my kitchen counter and used a rug sample to feed them on. I rolled up a towel and then the baby was able to press her paws on it while I got food into here.

4.I was not above scruffing her and getting the food in a drop at a time if that is what I had to do. They can't miss a feeding.

5 Mimic grooming. Using a rough washcloth

6. Be persistent in offering food. Toad went for kitten chow before she ever touched the formula/ KMR second step of wet food.

7. Remember to make eye contact and don't feel silly making trills and coos or letting the baby sleep on you touch , heartbeats , your breathing are part of your baby kittens needs.

Remember this is a brief period of time though the few weeks will seem like forever and a 24/7 job. It is also immensely rewarding  Others have given you amounts and frequency of feeding. Keep a daily record of what the kitten should consume and how much was taken in. Survival instinct is strong in kits but sometimes you have to kick start it. Again never feel guilty if you have to resort to force feeding. Being feral there is a good chance your kitten has worms.
Hear, Hear!

KatKnapper

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My brain reminded me today that I had more stored upstairs, that needed to be shared.  I watched this video on youtube about a wild cat rescue organization that places "wild" big cats under their care, nurtures them to health, and facilitates their return to the wild.  They took a chance on a domestic feline mother to see if she would nurse these wild babies as her own and it was a success.  I think I have located an article on it here.  Last I recall, Big Cat Rescue (I think is the name) said they would post updates to either their FB or Youtube as they kitties progressed and grew.  Perhaps you could cold call locally and seek out the same from a rescue place or a family with the nursing mom, should you still have trouble with him/her taking in food and water.  http://www.lovemeow.com/house-cat-nurses-orphaned-bobcat-kittens-1608012624.html

PS:  I forgot to mention earlier... something I noticed in your initial posting.  Cats cannot taste sweets.  They instinctively crave proteins.   

KatKnapper

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hey I'm starting to feel like a closet stalker here!  I don't watch my favorite tv shows on the DVR.  I don't play my favorite puter games.  It is 10:00 pm and I haven't made my dinner.  Uhhh 0.o oh I did feed and give fresh water to kitty.  HEY!  It's been two days now and no update.  My life is on hold until I get an update.  Please please???  How is the little sock kitty doing???   ;-p  Hope all is well.

felinluvr

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Wow, what a beautiful kitten!!  Please do update us and let us know how things are going. 

Thank you for saving that baby's life.

kskatt

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Austkitten, we all want to be here for you, no matter what happens. We hope and pray that that sweet little baby is still hanging in there, but it is extremely hard to work with babies that young. If the worst has happened, remember you did your best.

kskatt

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Darn, I hate to go there again, but if the news is bad, we'd love to be here for you. It would also be best for us to know, I know you don't mean to leave us hanging. We've all invested pieces of our hearts to the baby and to you.

You've probably just so busy and tired!