URGENT! I NEED HELP!

Catgirl11133344

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
so my cat(British long hair, a year and three months old) gave birth for the first time yesterday, to three beautiful healthy kittens.
Today, 24 hours later, she gave birth to a fourth kitten and I'm suspecting there's another one in her stomach.
None of the vets in my city take care of newborn kittens, before you say to call them.
The PROBLEM IS WITH HER FOURTH KITTEN. HE IS VERY WEAK, AND HE HASN'T MEOWED OR FED, THOUGH IT CONSTANTLY TRIES TO SUCK FROM HER NIPPLE.
IT IS ALIVE. IT MOVES. THE PROBLEM IS I THINK HE CANT OPEN HIS MOUTHS, WHICH MEANS HES GONNA DIE. IS THERE ANYTHING I CAN DO OR ANY REASONS BEHIND THIS? WHAT IS THE ILLNESS? MY CAT AND THE KITTENS FATHER ARE COMPLETLY HEALTHY, AND MY CAT ATE AND SLEPT AND ACTED AS SHE SHOULD DURING HER PREGNANCY. IS THERE ANYTHING I CAN DO TO FIX HIM?

Heart For Cats

Cat Lover Forever
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Welcome to the forum.

The fourth kitten needs an oxygen mask. Do you know how to do mouth to snout resuscitation?

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sorry to hear this.

It is essential to bring the mom and kitten to see a vet asap. There must be an ER somewhere nearby or within driving distance. We are not able to diagnose what the issue may be as there are too many possibilities.

Here is a link to a website which may help before you can get the kitten seen. See the sections on feeding and how to potty a newly born cat.

Kitten Care - Home — Kitten Lady

It does not address the mom. If she has another kitten inside her that is unable to pass this is a big emergency.

Again, please find a way to have them seen.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Catgirl11133344

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Welcome to the forum.

The fourth kitten needs an oxygen mask. Do you know how to do mouth to snout resuscitation?
No I don't. He can breath but can't open his mouth and eat. Its been born about five or six hours ago and I only now noticed, so I think it can breathe, but it's gonna die of starvation. Also I don't have an oxyg mask and no idea where to get it or how to use it.

crystal dawn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Alright, it would be a good idea to get him looked at by someone experienced with kittens. It sounds like he will need to be bottle-fed in at least the short term, and that can be hard to do with a newborn. Also, mom may need to be seen by a vet if she's having issues delivering, as that's life-threatening to both mom and baby(ies).

Yes if he was born 5-6 hours ago then he would have passed already if he couldn't breathe.

Heart For Cats

Cat Lover Forever
Alpha Cat
Purraise
No I don't. He can breathe but can't open his mouth and eat. It's been born about five or six hours ago and I only now noticed, so I think it can breathe, but it's gonna die of starvation. Also I don't have an oxygen mask and no idea where to get it or how to use it.
OK that is good to know. So the ER vet probably will want to use a feeding tube if he has lockjaw. Has he tried to put his mouth on a teat yet?

Catgirl11133344

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sorry to hear this.

It is essential to bring the mom and kitten to see a vet asap. There must be an ER somewhere nearby or within driving distance. We are not able to diagnose what the issue may be as there are too many possibilities.

Here is a link to a website which may help before you can get the kitten seen. See the sections on feeding and how to potty a newly born cat.

It does not address the mom. If she has another kitten inside her that is unable to pass this is a big emergency.

I ask
Sorry to hear this.

Hi. I called several vets and all of them said they don't take care of new born kittens. Also where I live there's a holiday and for some stupid reason everything is closed . I called my friend who has eight cats that all gave birth at least once, but nothing like that happened to her. Also I can't get my cat to the vet because she became over protective and she always hated the vet anyway. If she only sees her carrying bag then she runs away and hides, and I'm afraid she'll leave her kittens alone. Also vets aren't working I my country until Wednesday. Thank you for your help though and I'll try to get her to the vet as soon as I can. Also I have a question: if I bring her to the vet I can't just leave her kittens without her but I also don't want to take them with her to the vet(besides the ill one). Should I take them with her? Thank you for your help

Catgirl11133344

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Alright, it would be a good idea to get him looked at by someone experienced with kittens. It sounds like he will need to be bottle-fed in at least the short term, and that can be hard to do with a newborn. Also, mom may need to be seen by a vet if she's having issues delivering, as that's life-threatening to both mom and baby(ies).

Yes if he was born 5-6 hours ago then he would have passed already if he couldn't breathe.
Hi. Thank you for your help. Currently I can't take her to a vet because there's a holiday in my country and no vet is working until Wednesday. She acts normal and I didn't expect her to even deliver the fourth kitten but now I'm afraid there's a fifth. Today she acted normal up to the delivery whic lasted five minutes. Also the kitten had a separate placenta from all the other ones, who had a partly mutual one.
Also I to afraid to bring the mother to the vet because she gets really stressed when I take her there to the point she might stop producing milk for the healthy kittens.
I'm gonna buy a bottle and milk as soon as I'm able to tommarow(it's ten pm everything is closed)
And the problem is that it can't open its mouth and maybe has problems in bone structure? It keeps turning on its back(not purposely)
Thank you for your help

Catgirl11133344

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
OK that is good to know. So the ER vet probably will want to use a feeding tube if he has lockjaw. Has he tried to put his mouth on a teat yet?
Also I don't have any emergency vets in my city and my cat gets super stressed whenever I take her to the vet and I think from knowing her she might stop producing milk for her healthy kittens because of the stress. No vets have feeding tubes for kittens, unfortunately. Thank you for your help though, I appreciate it.

Heart For Cats

Cat Lover Forever
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Also I don't have any emergency vets in my city and my cat gets super stressed whenever I take her to the vet and I think from knowing her she might stop producing milk for her healthy kittens because of the stress. No vets have feeding tubes for kittens, unfortunately. Thank you for your help though, I appreciate it.
Do any veterinary hospitals near you let people call them and say they need to see a vet ASAP? If you explain to the receptionist that a newborn kitten is not opening his mouth and will literally starve to death, they may be able cancel the next appointment to treat him. Or there may be a late same-day cancellation that your regular veterinary clinic that they can slide you in.

Saving a kitten's life will make the mom mad because she instinctively does not want any human interference but I know she will hate to lose him if he dies. Leave her alone with the other kittens if she is producing milk. Right now, only the fourth kitten needs to see the vet.

Last edited:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Have you tried to gently open the kitten’s mouth to see if it will open?

If it will open, try to gently drop sugar water into its mouth (one drop at a time) to give it energy. Use a dropper or tiny syringe.

Let me know if this works because I can tell you how to make a homemade formula to give tonight until you can buy proper kitten formula.

If the mom has another kitten inside to deliver, it will come when it is ready. If she is not in distress there is no emergency where mom is concerned.

Also, you may just be seeing after-pain contractions and a lumpy uterus that often looks like another kitten but is common in moms who have given birth until the uterus shrinks back to normal in about a week.

Can you post a picture of the afflicted kitten’s face so we can see the mouth?

Catgirl11133344 Catgirl11133344

Last edited:

Catgirl11133344

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
so my cat gave birth two days ago and her fourth kitten died this morning unfortunately. She kept pushing him away from her and didn't let him feed because he was sick. I tried feeding him but buy the time I managed to get any milk(everything was close) he already died. Now she meows a lot and I think she might be looking for him. She refuses to go in the box with the rest of her healthy kittens and take care of them. WHAT DO I DO?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I’m sorry you lost the kitten. The mom is in a high hormonal state right now, but she should calm down soon.

In the meantime, put her in a cat carrier with her kittens so she will have to feed them in the enclosed space. You can later put them all back in the nest. Moms will usually feed their kittens when they cry.

Heart For Cats

Cat Lover Forever
Alpha Cat
Purraise
So my cat gave birth two days ago and her fourth kitten died this morning unfortunately. She kept pushing him away from her and didn't let him feed because he was sick. I tried feeding him but buy the time I managed to get any milk (everything was closed) he already died. Now she meows a lot and I think she might be looking for him. She refuses to go in the box with the rest of her healthy kittens and take care of them. WHAT DO I DO?
I knew this was going to happen when you said there is no ER vet nearby. He had no chance of making it without a feeding tube. But we all love cats too much to admit the inevitable whenever there is a fighting chance something good will happen. You are not alone.

Forget about the carrier suggestion. Those are too small for a mom to nurse three kittens. Buy a large dog crate and cover three sides of it with a blanket. (Also put bedding at the bottom of the crate.) She should calm down when the kittens are ready for their next meal.

Persiankittens

Snowheart Persians
Young Cat
Purraise
I have had a mom reject a kitten before. Not necessarily reject, but ignore if there's a difference.

The way I counteracted this was by either dropping bits of kitten formula on their head, belly, and privates or a little bit of her favorite wet food. Usually they seem to love lapping up some kitten formula right after birth so that's what I've generally used.

Once she has picked them clean, they will smell like her and she "should" accept them again.

Catgirl11133344

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat gas three kittens five days ago. Today, we changed the towels in her box(they were really dirty)
I noticed yesterday that she has been going behind the couch a lot. She has also been going under the bed and in the closet and behind the table. She used to go into all of these places before she was pregnant, but I suspected that she was looking for a place to move her kittens. yesterday, one of the kittens kept "falling out" of the nest. TODAY SHE GRABBED ONE AND TRIED MOVING HIM. WHEN I SAW SHE DID I CHANGED THE DIRTY TOWELS IN THE NEST THINKING SHE WOULDNT WANT TO MOVE THEM ANYMORE. BUT THEN ABOUT AN HOUR LATER SHE GRABBED ANOTHER KITTEN AND MOVED HIM TO THE LIVING ROOM. I MOVED THE BOOKS WITH THE REST OF THE KITTENS TO THE LIVING ROOM, BUT SHE REFUSED TO LET GO OF THE KITTEN, AND TRIED MOVING HIM BEHINED THE SOFA. THEY WILL DIE IF SHE MOVES THEM THERE BECAUSE THERE'S NOTHING BUT DIRT AND COLD FLOOR THERE. I BLOCKED HER WAY IN THERE THE BEST I COULD. BUT NOW SHE'S VERY NERVOUS AND STRESSED AND I'M AFRAID SHE WON'T FEED THE KITTENS. I LEFT HER KITTENS IN THE NEST IN THE LIVING ROOM SO HOPEFULLY SHE WONT MOVE THEM AND SHE MEOWED A LOT. HELP?