URGENT! i cant tell if my cat is dying!

mzjazz2u

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Georgydude

she did seem miserable, im really happy shes no where near as bad as she was before. I dont think the heart murmur was very bad, im pretty sure it was minor, but im just wondering if its related to all of the other sym0toms or if its just a separate problem. Ur second question is fine, i have no problem answering it, even though the answer might be a little awkward. My mom actually passed about when i was in second grade. She was actually the reason why i have these cats, cuz she loved cats, so thats why we got the two cats that i have in the first place. She would probably want to spend the money to help her though, but all that matters now is my dad's opinion
I'm very sorry that you lost your mother when you were little. It sounds like she was a very kind hearted person. You are doing a great job with what you have had to work with and your cat is doing so much better! Personally, I'm very proud of the way you have cared for your cutie!

mskitty666

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm so glad your kitty seems to be doing well. I feel very badly for the situation with your dad. I had the exact same experience with my family growing up. Our animals never saw a vet and many died needless painful deaths. Once I was on my own I adopted my first two kitties. Any guy I dated learned very quickly that my cats ruled! My husband feels the same way I do about our cats. We will do any and everything possible for them. Earlier this year we lost Karina, 11years 10 months, to acute renal failure. We and our vets were shocked. I get senior blood panels for all of my cats every year, an annual and semi-annual exam and a visit for any symptoms of illness. So many of your cat's symptoms remind me of her. I am worried for your kitty! At this point I would say get one of your friends parents to take your cat for the necessary tests.

It's true that tests can be expensive. My vet charges $83 for the senior blood panel and $45 for urinalysis. Another kitty of mine, Chester was very sick this October. He had FLUTD, crystals and then a blocked urethra. So far we spent $3200 for all of his urine cultures, blood tests, x-rays, meds, special tests, two weeks in the hospital and surgery. He had lost two pounds, wouldn't eat or drink. I had to force water down his throat and coax him to eat. Well now he's back to his old self minus a few patches of fur
. We spent nearly $2500 on Karina and couldn't save her. To people like us, this is money well spent. When I remember Karina, I don't feel guilt or overwhelming sadness. I know that she was well cared for and that nothing could be done for her. My husband and I couldn't afford to celebrate our 10th wedding anniversary or Thanksgiving because of Chester's bills. We're still catching up, but every time I look at him, I just smile. He's still here and he's happy.

I hope that your kitty continues to live well and that this episode was just a serious illness. When you're an adult you can make the same commitment I have made. That commitment is to properly care for and value our animals. Something you might consider looking at is pet insurance. Some plans can cost as little as $20 per month. We got insurance for our other 5 cats 2 weeks after Karina passed. The only reason we will be having Christmas is because we are finally getting reimbursed for Chester's bills. If you could afford a small monthly payment for a reasonable insurance plan, maybe your dad would agree. Unfortunately with cats it's not if they get sick, but when. We will be keeping you and your kitty in our thoughts. Good luck.

kittylover13

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Georgydude

she did seem miserable, im really happy shes no where near as bad as she was before. I dont think the heart murmur was very bad, im pretty sure it was minor, but im just wondering if its related to all of the other sym0toms or if its just a separate problem. Ur second question is fine, i have no problem answering it, even though the answer might be a little awkward. My mom actually passed about when i was in second grade. She was actually the reason why i have these cats, cuz she loved cats, so thats why we got the two cats that i have in the first place. She would probably want to spend the money to help her though, but all that matters now is my dad's opinion
i m really sorry about ur mom. the last thing u said about ur dads opinion isnt totally true. if that was all that mattered u wouldnt have posted this thread or asked for help about ur cat. i have a way of seeing how people r really feeling about something on the inside. i picked up from my brother who used 2 b deaf and who really had 2 watch people to understand what they were saying. (he can hear now) dont be afraid 2 exhibit emotions. sometimes u just need 2 stand up 2 ur dad. the way i do (my dad cant always understand cuz hes gone all day) is sit him down and say "dad i really need to talk to u about something and i want 2 say it without interupptions until im done" (do say it calmly tho or he wont listen)

cutie1515

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
i'm glad to hear your cat is doing better, and it has an adorble face. beautiful.

nothing against you or your family, but maybe it's better that you don't get anymore animals if your dad isn't willing to take them to the vet.

it is just cruel. i love my babies so much, i'd prob. risk my life in a fire just to save them. i couldn't imagine not taking them to the vet.

please keep posting about your cat. i want to hear the outcome.

best wishes

sandgoddess

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I can see you are very worried...If you dad won't pay for treatment, try contacting some voluntary association, tell them your problem and see if they can help.

from your description I can think of several possibilities (how old is the cat???)

it may be a stroke - motority prob and the eye asymetrical movement may point to this.

it may be kidney failure - the strange smell is often a symptom - I hope it's not...

she is trying to hide constantly under beds and furniture - sure sign she feels poorly and seeks a protected place where she won't be bothered.

lots of love and attention ON HER TERMS - don't force it.

and a diagnose must be reached as soon as possible to decide on ways of treatment.

I think I don't care much for your dad...sorry.

hope it's not serious, but it does not sound to good until she gets the required treatment.

fingers crossed,
rachel

sandgoddess

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
well dear, for a female that is not TOO old. I had a couple who reached 19 and I have a friend who has a 21 year old female.

Seriously, try contacting some society for animal's welfare - they will probably help you with free vet care...or maybe ppl on this site may help, just a small contribution from some members can cover the cost. Maybe try to open a topic about it.

I think you need to hurry. If it is a kidney prob (that smell...) every hour counts. It can, I'm afraid be fatal.

best for you and your baby,
rachel

kittylover13

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
hay! how has kitty been doing? i m glad she is doing better! sandgoddes is right she isnt very old. i m still sending vibes and prayers for her!
-Rose

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Dear Georgydude:

I don't know if you're still visiting the site or how your cat is. I pray you are, and that your cat is better -- the people who posted that she needs a doctor are right, and it must be so hard having to deal with this situation. I'm just reading your posts on Dec. 11th, and I just wanted to say I'm praying/thinking the best thoughts for your cat and you. You're really great for being so caring and for trying so hard to do the right thing. I hope you know that, whatever happens. And I hope you know that your cat knows you love and care for her, too, whatever happens. Don't ever forget that. And don't ever stop caring and trying to help cats. Cats give unconditional love and loyalty. But you know that.

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Georgy, if you visit again... your instincts are right, and I hope you will never let anything change your goodheartedness. We can't know what makes your father think the way he does. And I won't condemn him, because he's your dad and you love him, and that's how it should be.

But even people we love do the wrong thing sometimes. That's a hard lesson, and you're having to learn it awfully early in life. You can handle it, though... you were so strong for your kitty, I think you can handle anything.

I hope you'll tell us what's happening now... even if it's bad news. All these people truly care about your kitty, and about you.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
CarolPetunia:

That is a wonderful message you wrote -- you said it better than I could have -- and I sure hope he visits and sees it and the other caring messages, too. AND I HOPE HIS CAT IS ALL RIGHT!!!

lsulover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just read this thread from start to finish.

What a touching story.

I do hope that he or she comes back and lets us know how the cat is.

panther pride

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have an idea - Go to one of your dearest friend give her/him the money and have them DO IT FOR YOU!!! You can get the animal back and then tell your dad you spent the money on 'personal things' http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/ima...ilies/wink.gif, It would being telling a lie but a lie isnt really a lie in my opinion if yoiur saving an innosent life.

People in this society are often trained and desensatized about the value of of life whern it comes to animals, I know I have been. http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/ima...lies/agree.gif I think its partly because we live such controlled lives that we forget that it wasnt always like this and so take out our feelings on something that cannot protest against us for the state of our own ego- power. http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/ima.../angryfire.gif. Your dad sounds like a very bad case of it.

mandm1213

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm really sorry for what you've been through with your cat. I know that she will be healthy now though, i know she iwll be. I was in a similar situation, but unfortuneatly i didn't know about this site then.

I had my cat for a year and a half, she was a stray and a beautiful black cat. I had just brought her to my apartment and it had been 3 whole days. We were having a blast. My partner called me while i was at work one day and told me the cat had a kitten and the kitten was dead. She couldn't touch the kitten or cat, because she was sick and when she called the vet they told her i had to come home to take care of the cat. They said that she would have the rest of the kittens relatively soon. Like your dad, my parents wouldn't take her to the vet when we got her and hadn't to the day i got her. My cat was really sick.. she was throwing up everywhere..and she was just getting worse. I missed work and class for an entire week to take care of her.. Then one night my partner told me that she had to stay in the bathroom, because she didn't want her to throw up on the bed again. I couldn't bear it because i knew my baby was in the bathroom sad and lonely. So i let her out and she slept next to me all night..which was rare. The night before my partner and i decided that we were giong to call animal control in the morning.. so they could take her..but after this night i didnt want to anymore. I was convinced that she was better.. My cat walked past me..and threw up right beside me. I knew that she had to go now.. and she did
... and i miss her so much... she was my life. I hope you don't have to go through the pain i dealt with.. because i am still getting over it and this happened about 2 months ago.

Good luck Georgyboy.. i know your cat will be ok. I have a calico now too.. she's a little fighter... and i know your baby is too.

Take care

panther pride

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I think I disagree with you Jaycee, Sandgoddess said the truth plan and simple, the girl's dad is oviously being a very shallow/stupid person, to not see that a family pet from his own daughter is suffering and to veiw money over it and his daughters moral feelings, shes being a real adult in my eyes because shes trying everything to help her beloved pet and at the same time to respect her fathers strange opinions.

Georgyboy where are you, your not posting anymore?http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/ima...s/confused.gif

jaycee

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
wow, i agree that the cat needs to see the vet but lets not badmouth the poor kids dad on top of everything else he/she is going through. this is supposed to be a friendly forum where people can get advice about their pets, not insults about their family members. jeez.

the main reason i and many others come to this forum is because people are nice and respectful to each other and we need to continue to be that way whether we agree with how the kids father is handling this situation or not.