URGENT help needed. THIS is the last straw.

revenwyn

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
There's been a lot of upheaval in my life lately. My husband was away from home for 4 months hospitalized before he passed away April 1st at the age of 32. I am sure that this hasn't been helping my cats, who are generally not friends and often squabble (but one becomes inconsolable without the other at home, I have found out.)

My personal circumstances are requiring me to move out of my apartment at the end of the month. My downstairs neighbors are letting me live with them so that I am not homeless. I have enough money to feed myself and the cats for 10 months if I don't get a job.

At any rate, I'm going to copy/paste from my Facebook. For the record, Carly has Feline hyperesthesia.

I don't think I am going to be able to keep my cats.

I just woke up to the worst cat fight they have ever had. I wasn't sleeping well anyway due to leg pain.

Carly is completely non-responsive and shut down under the kitchen cabinets. She had been in my bedroom window when Binky went up there and chased her off. It took me five minutes to herd Binky into my bedroom and shut the door. She is scratching to get out and Carly is shaking like a leaf.

Only Tom was ever able to help Carly like this. I can't do a full separation without him. It could be two weeks before Carly comes out of the cabinets, and lately Binky has been sitting there in front of them. But Binky can't stay in my room for two straight weeks. I have to get in for my clothes, etc and she would just run straight out.

And if they're fighting really bad now, what is it going to be like when I have to bring them downstairs where there's an already existing cat and oftentimes a dog?

I don't think that I will be able to keep them.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

revenwyn

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The post was originally written an hour ago. Carly just came out to cuddle, Binky is still hollering in my bedroom.

Carly is doing better than I thought she would. She was a daddy's girl.

donutte

Professional cat sitter extraordinaire!
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, I am so sorry to hear about the loss of your husband, that is terrible.

Is Binky just kinda a bully? What are their ages btw? Would it be better to keep Carly in your room for now? I haven't quite been in THIS situation unfortunately. Only have had my three youngin's try to play with my older cats (that don't want to play) and well, they play rough when they play. I always have to go chase them away.

revenwyn

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh, I am so sorry to hear about the loss of your husband, that is terrible.

Is Binky just kinda a bully? What are their ages btw? Would it be better to keep Carly in your room for now? I haven't quite been in THIS situation unfortunately. Only have had my three youngin's try to play with my older cats (that don't want to play) and well, they play rough when they play. I always have to go chase them away.
Binky is a 5 year old spayed former feral. She is generally quite bossy.

Carly was found about two weeks after Binky stopped nursing her own kitten (we couldn't catch her in time) as an abandoned 4 week old kitten. Binky couldn't nurse her due to already having been spayed, but otherwise acted as a surrogate mother to Carly. Carly is now 4.

They have been squabbling off and on since Carly was 2.

I threw Binky in my room because I was intent on separating the cats as quickly as possible. Carly was hiding under the kitchen cabinets.

I don't want to give up on either of them because there is nobody to take them where I live. The closest cat rescue is an hour away and full, our shelter has an 85% kill rate. Unless they are kittens, cats are simply not adopted here and usually put down within two days.

donutte

Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, I understand you putting Binky in the bedroom at the time of the squabble because you couldn't reach Carly, I mean once you did reach her. Just a thought. I find it easier to do that with the more submissive one.

I'm glad Carly sounds like she's doing better. Are there any rescue groups that have fosters willing to take your kitties until you are able to get things sorted out? You would still pay for everything but you'd have the peace of mind that they are being taken care of.

revenwyn

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
No rescues/fosters anywhere near.

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
I'm so sorry for the loss of your husband.  And now your living situation and the kitties squabbling.  That's such an awful lot of stress for you.   

For the cats, you could trying calming agents, like diffusers, calming treats or collars, or possibly get the cats on a medication like Prozac.  We have some threads about it here, this is one:  http://www.thecatsite.com/t/154762/cats-on-prozac

revenwyn

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have tried calming agents for their fights before, to no affect, and none of the vets around here will prescribe proactive or anything else like that.

jag007

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So sorry for your loss - you need to get  Rescue Rernedy right AWAY- I have had issues introducing a new boy cat to existing crew-It definetly will chill your kitties- its not cheap but very effective-you can put in their water-drops on toungue or rub  on their ears- WHAT A RELIEF- it will help your kitties in the transition- BEST OF LUCK

donutte

Top Cat
Purraise
Prozac isn't given proactively, it's given as a result of anxiety issues very often. My Maple is on it and I can't believe the difference in her. Have you asked the vet about it by chance?

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have no advice but you may need some help financially w/your cats.  There is a list of non-profits at the bottom of this article.
[article="32915"]No Money For Vet Care How To Find Help And Save Your Cats Life  [/article]

revenwyn

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ok Binky is living downstairs with my neighbor and his cat currently. His cat is chill but also dominant.

Carly has remained up here with me aND seems to be enjoying being an only cat.

I don't want to give up either of them permanently.