Urgent! Feral Cat Is Dying

Status
Not open for further replies.

vspin

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
A feral cat (spayed) that I leave food out for hadn't been eating much and has what appears to be pneumonia based on the symptoms. She is emaciated and weak, and in desperation, left the outside cold, and went into my laundry room from my garage. I have $130, but when I called the vet they said they'd need $100 for an exam, then in their estimation another $500 to treat her which I don't have. They suggested calling other vets and seeing if they have a feral cat program, but none do.

In desperation to keep her alive, I started giving her a cat dosage of amoxicillin that I had two days ago. Her pneumonia symptoms are seemingly subsiding, however, she only drinks water, and can barely get up to drink, and then falls back down to sleep. She's hours to death, I think. I read that cats can eat vegetable oil, and I read the vegetable oil is really high in calories. I am going to give her a syringe of 1-1/2 tsp of vegetable oil in about 1 hour unless someone replies back with another idea.

She wants to live..

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't think she needs just calories. She probably needs rehydration and something to reduce the infection.
So I think you need someone to lend you some money. Ask some friends or relatives, but you need to be super quick.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

vspin

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I don't think she needs just calories. She probably needs rehydration and something to reduce the infection.
So I think you need someone to lend you some money. Ask some friends or relatives, but you need to be super quick.
Yeah, that's how I came up with the $130. I will never be able to get $600, and it may even be more money.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't how else you could treat her infection with just some oil. She needs a course, a long course, of antibiotics and only a vet can tell you what antibiotic, how much, how often and how long.
I live in Italy, I'm Italian, I presume you're located in US. I'm not expert, but from what I have read, in US there are associations that take care of feral cats or can treat cats of people with no income or little money. Have you asked around to see if one of this associations is available in your area?

As for the food, there are special broths to be given to sick pets. A few ml can give a huge amount of energy and other elements a pet can need when they're sick and can't eat.
Over here in Europe we have a thing called Virbac NutriBound. Just 20 ml are like a whole day of food!

vspin

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks. Your post is very helpful. I do live in the US. I am treating her infection with amoxicillin which is what I read online is the antibiotic for pneumonia in cats, IF it's the correct pneumonia. She is drinking A LOT. She drinks, urinates, and sleeps. That's it. I am going to get some broth. There is no place I can get Virbac NutriBound in time.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Are there any farm vets in your area? They may have more reasonable prices.

Don't give her oil. While it is high in calories, when given alone it tends to coat the intestines so nothing can be absorbed. It can be used to grease out a minor blockage but not for emergency calories. Chicken baby food with a splash of heavy cream would be a better way to get calories into her.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks. Your post is very helpful. I do live in the US. I am treating her infection with amoxicillin which is what I read online is the antibiotic for pneumonia in cats, IF it's the correct pneumonia. She is drinking A LOT. She drinks, urinates, and sleeps. That's it. I am going to get some broth. There is no place I can get Virbac NutriBound in time.
Doesn't Amazon or a similar online shop sell it? You could have it in a day time. Meanwhile try with some watered down baby food. Look for some baby food without garlic or onion and with a low amount of salt.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can you bring her inside? Providing some steam in the bathroom might help her breathing.

She needs something like Nutrical or A/D food.

vspin

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I've tried every vet near me. They are all expensive, and I tried finding an organization to help, but I couldn't find anything, unless it's to spay or neuter.

"Chicken baby food with a splash of heavy cream"
I can only get fluid down her with a syringe. She won't eat at all.

vspin

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Can you bring her inside? Providing some steam in the bathroom might help her breathing.

Yes, she's been inside in the warm. I have did exactly that with regard to the shower steam. Is Nutrical something she would have to eat on her own? Is it available in liquid form?

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It’s a paste. You can probably water it down to syringe. She really needs additional support from a vet though. Is she struggling to breathe?

heathernichelle

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Is there a rescue near you that you could take her to? I live in Kansas City & we have several here that have special programs dedicated to situations exactly like this! Most of them would make you pay $20 and surrender any rights you ought have to her, but they would treat her until she is healthy enough to be adopted or put into a barn cat program.

vspin

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It’s a paste. You can probably water it down to syringe. She really needs additional support from a vet though. Is she struggling to breathe?
Thanks, I see if a pet store has it. Before I was giving her antibiotics she was struggling. Every time she would put her head down to sleep, she would really struggle and then lift her head up. Now, after the antibiotics and steam, she seems to be breathing well, and even lying down.

vspin

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Is there a rescue near you that you could take her to? I live in Kansas City & we have several here that have special programs dedicated to situations exactly like this! Most of them would make you pay $20 and surrender any rights you ought have to her, but they would treat her until she is healthy enough to be adopted or put into a barn cat program.
We had a SPCA which was closed down in March for lack of funding.

vspin

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I ended up giving her 2 tsp of Nutri-Cal with water: https://www.petco.com/shop/en/petcostore/product/tomlyn-nutri-cal-for-cats

I want to give her more. The product states, "When your cat is not eating its full ration : 3 tsp per 10 pounds of body weight daily." The product is stated as a supplement for the cat's nutritional intake. There are 28 kcal in each tsp of this gel. Based on my calculations, an average outdoor cat has a daily calorie intake of 175 kcal. This is a smaller cat, and is emaciated at around 5 lbs.

I cannot use this product as a supplement. This is what she is going to have to eat until she will go back to eating (hopefully). Anyone have any ideas how much I can give her, and how frequently? She is extremely weak..

vspin

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I hope no one is afraid to give an unprofessional suggestion. I know most of you (if not all) are not vets. I could really use some ideas.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Baby food (and Hills a/d, although you have to get that from a vet) has a pasty consistency, and can be watered down to liquid, although I've found that sick cats seem to be able to swallow it better when it's still a bit thicker than water. Nutrical is good but I think she'd feel better with a bit of protein in her. Gerber chicken baby food is my go-to food for sick cats. It has 100 calories per jar so if you can just get that much in her, plus some Nutrical, that should take care of her caloric needs. A little cream for palatability and extra calories wouldn't hurt. Bone broth would be good too, but make sure it doesn't have too much salt added. A little salt is good for hydration, but too much will dehydrate.

Is she drinking well? You can give her unflavored Pedialyte or homemade oral rehydration solution (google for recipes) if she isn't drinking enough on her own.

It sounds like the antibiotics are working. Do you have enough for 7-10 days? Now it's just a matter of keeping her fed and hydrated until she feels well enough to eat and drink on her own.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Baby food or canned pate food can be given, watered down with either pedialyte or kmr. At this point, pedialyte may do her more good. Water it down well, and administer via syringe if necessary. Keep doing what you are doing, Darlin, and I will light a candle for the two of you!
000000000000000.jpg

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maybe you can research the amount of the supplement on the internet, or can you call a vet and get their opinion? Tell them you desperately need help ASAP and she is too sick to bring in. I had a cat this summer just like her and she is fine now after the antibiotic kicked in. Good luck!

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
At 5 lbs she needs less than 175 kcal a day. If a teaspoon is about 30 kcal, you could give her 5 teaspoons a day. Or you can mix it with some baby food.
Syringe feeding is fine when cats won't eat on their own.

Status
Not open for further replies.