URGENT!!! EMACIATED STRAY...HOW DO I FEED HER???

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Bloodmilk

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ohhh I didn't mean like a new thread...I guess i meant like a separate reply update??? Cause I just did hehehe...prayers for this little baby today...her appointment is at 1230...

Whenallhellbreakslose

Living in Kitty Paradise.
Top Cat
Purraise
I hope the vet visit goes well and that this kitty doesn't have anything really wrong with her. Her skinniness might be due to being on the street for awhile and not getting a decent meal. It also could be because of
worms or parasites. Both of these are treatable and as soon as that gets addressed, she will be putting on some weight and looking healthy.
In regards to food. Very soft food is best. I have feed sick cats meat flavored baby food (no onion and no garlic). If you can get her a good brand of kitten wet food that would be good. There are also high calorie pastes that you can check out at the pet store. Just don't push too much on the kitty at once. She needs to get adjusted to eating regularly again

Well, I hope everything goes well at the vet. It was no accident this little one cross paths with you. I believe in destiny. I wish you all the best. Take care. 🙂

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Bloodmilk

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
again thankyou all so so so much!!! Sorry about my lack of quick response time...i work ALOT and am wiped out by the time I get home and take care of my baby sweet pea( my kitty baby) and get her fed and played and cuddled and kissy faced...and after I take care of and visit the new kitty...and make dinner and take care of my husband...THEN take care of myself...THEN my sweet pea again...THEN the new kitty again...THEN the husband again and THENNN ( hahaha I got the jokes tonight!!!) buy y'all get it...I don't even have any actual human children...and I praise all of you that do all of this AND have kids...dude...I'm also not very social media ANYTHING...so this is new for me...I'm 41 so you'd think I'd know what the heck to do with posting messages...but I don't...I try to not do any of the social media stuffs...anyhow...I'll post a reply update in a bit...I have to go get a loveseat for the new kitty room...

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You are doing just fine...with your kitties, your husband, your life, AND this particular social media site. I, too, came to online life late. This is one of the first sites that I got really invested in, and I hope you will feel the same way...especially after things slow down just a bit and you have a chance to draw a deep breath!

KittyboysGrandma

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi! I'm new here, but just wanted to say, it sounds like you're doing an AMAZING job of caring for this poor little stray, and she is very lucky to have found you. I know all about the sleep deprivation from caring for a sick feline, and have helped many strays. It is a pure labor of love. (Currently I am helping my son learn to care for his two rescue cats: brothers, who are now my unofficial grandson-kitties. I also care for our local feral cat colony, with my neighbor.)
Anyway, I did want to mention that you might want to check with your vet about the Pedialyte. It contains sugar, which is not harmful to cats in small amounts, but using it frequently could be problematic. Just a thought! Your use of kitten food and kitten milk were great ideas, since they are high calorie, and she is so emaciated. Also, your very first feeding of turkey was a great idea, since it's very gentle on a cat's stomach.
I haven't read all of the replies here, but had two other suggestions. Apologies if these are repeat ideas. My vet recommends low-sodium chicken broth for sick or malnourished cats: it has both protein and and is mainly liquid (therefore great for a super thirsty cat). It should be diluted, two-thirds broth with one-third water (due to the sodium- even low sodium broth has more salt than cats need). We used Swanson chicken broth that comes in a box, when one of our boys, Galileo, was sick with a mystery illness. Another standard idea is to boil a chicken breast until the meat is soft and falling apart, and let it mostly cool, before giving some to a sick/malnourished cat.

Best of luck to you, and Get Well wishes to the sweet stray!
~ KittyboyGrandma

dustydiamond1

Minion to Gypsy since October 2016
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi! I'm new here, but just wanted to say, it sounds like you're doing an AMAZING job of caring for this poor little stray, and she is very lucky to have found you. I know all about the sleep deprivation from caring for a sick feline, and have helped many strays. It is a pure labor of love. (Currently I am helping my son learn to care for his two rescue cats: brothers, who are now my unofficial grandson-kitties. I also care for our local feral cat colony, with my neighbor.)
Anyway, I did want to mention that you might want to check with your vet about the Pedialyte. It contains sugar, which is not harmful to cats in small amounts, but using it frequently could be problematic. Just a thought! Your use of kitten food and kitten milk were great ideas, since they are high calorie, and she is so emaciated. Also, your very first feeding of turkey was a great idea, since it's very gentle on a cat's stomach.
I haven't read all of the replies here, but had two other suggestions. Apologies if these are repeat ideas. My vet recommends low-sodium chicken broth for sick or malnourished cats: it has both protein and and is mainly liquid (therefore great for a super thirsty cat). It should be diluted, two-thirds broth with one-third water (due to the sodium- even low sodium broth has more salt than cats need). We used Swanson chicken broth that comes in a box, when one of our boys, Galileo, was sick with a mystery illness. Another standard idea is to boil a chicken breast until the meat is soft and falling apart, and let it mostly cool, before giving some to a sick/malnourished cat.

Best of luck to you, and Get Well wishes to the sweet stray!
~ KittyboyGrandma
Would Swansons no salt chicken broth need to be diluted? Is tuna water good to give? Many Adventure Cats folks on Instagram mention they carry Inaba Churu for hydration on trails and hikes.

Last edited:

KittyboysGrandma

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Would Swansons no salt ckn broth need to be diluted?
I would not think so: dilution is only needed to reduce salt content to cat-safe levels... so if the broth is salt-free, there would be no health reason to dilute it. Though if you think a cat is dehydrated, and not drinking enough, adding a bit of extra water to the broth could be helpful.

KittyboysGrandma

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Would Swansons no salt chicken broth need to be diluted? Is tuna water good to give? Many Adventure Cats folks on Instagram mention they carry Inaba Churu for hydration on trails and hikes.
Sorry, I am not familiar with Inaba Churu, so I can't responsibly comment on that. And I have never tried tuna water (assuming that is the water from inside a can of tuna packaged for humans? Or is it a special product?)

My only tips about tuna-flavored canned cat food and seafood-flavors of canned catfood, is that they are higher in magnesium than other types of canned cat food (like chicken or turkey). Too much magnesium can give a cat "kidney stones," according to my vet, and the cat version of kidney stones are sharp little crystals, which are very painful. So my vet says absolutely no "human" tuna for our cats, and to try to alternate seafood flavors of canned cat food, every other day, or every third day, and give non-seafood flavors more often.

Last edited by a moderator:

dustydiamond1

Minion to Gypsy since October 2016
Top Cat
Purraise
Sorry, I am not familiar with Inaba Churu, so I can't responsibly comment on that. And I have never tried tuna water (assuming that is the water from inside a can of tuna packaged for humans? Or is it a special product?)

My only tips about tuna-flavored canned cat food and seafood-flavors of canned catfood, is that they are higher in magnesium than other types of canned cat food (like chicken or turkey). Too much magnesium can give a cat "kidney stones," according to my vet, and the cat version of kidney stones are sharp little crystals, which are very painful. So my vet says absolutely no "human" tuna for our cats, and to try to alternate seafood flavors of canned cat food, every other day, or every third day, and give non-seafood flag o 're more often.
Yes I meant the water from canned tuna for humans, not the tuna itself, just the water.
Human versions of kidney stones are also sharp crystals.
I mentioned the Churu because of its high rehydration potential.
Would no salt chicken broth need to be diluted?

Last edited:

Whenallhellbreakslose

Living in Kitty Paradise.
Top Cat
Purraise
I think Swanson's No Salt Broth still has Onion Powder or Onion extract in it. I have been looking for a good broth to put on top of cat food. Most of them have Garlic or Onion in it. For a sick cat I usually give meat flavored baby food with no Onion and Garlic in it. I have also giving tuna water to a sick cats to try to get their appetite back. It helped a little. Churus are okay, but even better us the Hi Cal paste you can get in the pet store. That should help. 🙂