Urgent! Critically Starved Kitten Having Seizures!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:help: Kitten X (aka Tim, if he makes it) is an emaciated 8 week old kitten who is having both mild and grand mal seizures. He gets severe seizures when I give him straight kmr; moderate ones after goatmilk/kmr blend; he sometimes has mild ones when I wake him up. I tried homemade glop made with goat milk and he had 2 severe fits after that, as well.

He was brought to me on Tuesday evening, about 9 pm, after having been found unresponsive under a mobile home. Enroute to my house, he had a gran mal seizure (the CNA who brought him to me is familiar with seizure disorders) and once here, frequently had light tremors, was cold to the touch with dilated pupils and unable to respond to stimuli . I promptly gave him karo on his gums, put him onto a heated rice sock, and then began administering 50/50 pedialyte a few drops every 5-10 minutes. He rapidly improved and by midnight was alert, suckling fairly well for a few moments and I gave him small amounts of Goatalac KMR/goat milk blend along with the pedialyte. He became very alert and would try escaping my arms (he is feral). He was able to rise his forequarters and hold his head up. Unfortunately, around 3am, I fell asleep and didn't wake until almost 7 during which time, he got cold and listless. I was able to bring him back around again, although he was tired an limp when I left at 10 am to take my 90 yo mother for her appointments. My granddaughter-in-law gave him a noon feeding of pedialyte and about 1:30 gave him a few licks of Gerber Stage 2 Beef watered down. When I returned at 2, he yowled, then vomited the beef (the only time he has vomited) followed by a moderate seizure and then almost constant tremors with the dilated pupils and unresponsiveness. I then added small amounts of B1 and B12 to the pedialyte and then he got better but I sought a vet opinion with the hope of getting him nutrition via i.v. plus B1& B12 support. My regular vet is out of town so I took him to the new vet at the more expensive hospital.

End result of the vet visit: hydration and blood glucose was normal. Tested negative for diseases. Bladder was empty. He has neurological deficiencies. He was given SubQ at hospital. Diagnosis was starvation and instructions were to return home and give frequent doses of kmr but discontinue the pedialyte. I asked about B1 and B12 but the vet didn't respond. I asked him about goat milk instead of whey but he hadn't heard of using goat milk. He is the newest vet in town and will be THE vet for the practice until Monday...so, I am asking for anecotes and thoughts.... the nearest other veterinary clinic is almost 150 miles away and they just had a 6.4 earthquake - the power is out and there are road damages and property damages. also reports of house fires. The other cities are 200 miles away and I am the caregiver for my mom and disabled daughter.

And please join me with prayers and vibes :vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes:

background: The landlord had told the neighboring ladies to stop feeding the stray cat who had the kittens and said that he was going to get rid of them. The mom disappeared last week and then a couple of days later, 4 of the mewing hungry kittens vanished, leaving X behind. The neighbor ladies couldn't pinpoint X's location until the finder's mother's cat got out of his soft carrier upon returning home from his neutering & made a mad dash uinder the trailer. When the finder's spouse arrived to retrieve the neutered cat, he found Kitten X aka Tim.

Anx,as always, thank you for any response or moral support....:thanks:

Last edited:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I’m not sure there is much more you can do besides keeping him hydrated. If he seizes less on the goat milk I would stick with that. If not, mix the KMR with the pedialyte instead of water. How much milk are you getting in him over a 24-hour period?

What was the vet’s rationale for stopping the pedialyte? It has important electrolytes in it.

Your regular vet on Monday may be able to give you an anti-seizure medication.

In general, things like loss of calcium and B viamins can cause deficiency and seizures. I would continue giving pedialyte and B vitamins.

Hopefully he will come around neurologically over time. Poor baby! Thank you for doing all that you are doing to help him.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you for the reply! I had forgotten about calcium - it was what I was given for my black widow spider bite back in 2002. I knew about the B1 and B12 from last fall when my daughter was seizing from malnutrition (she has an undiagnosed digestive disorder and has lost over 80 pounds - I finally got the doctor to order an allergy panel and she must avoid wheat plus ginger and whey which we give her daily to try to prevent nausea and keep up her protein intake).
I am praying and longing for Monday to get here.:cold::please:

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you for responding! He has had about 35cc of pedialyte in the last 4 hours. He had a gran mal a half hour ago. He is limp & exhausted but has good situational awareness. I started him on Breeder's Edge - planning on doing .5 ml every 15 minutes of that but will continue the B-1/12 fortified pedialyte as well, in the approx. 7cc every other 15 min.
I noticed that although he is chilled (vet says his temp is low), when he gets the gran mal, he heats up, like a hot flash.
The vet had said no more pedialyte because he felt X was hydrated enough and that every thing that X consumes needs to be packed with calories and nutrition. My regular vet has always warned me of Refeeding Syndrome & also tells me that kittens can go 2-3 days on pedialyte & corn syrup on the gums. My typical stance is between those 2 trains of thought.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This sounds like an excellent protocol for now. Are you warming him with a heating pad under his blanket? Will you be administering through the night as well?

Do you think this is enough calories? It seems low.
Yes to the heat pad although I have to be careful about overheating him. (thankfully this model has adjustable settings). Sarthur2 Sarthur2 - your mention of calcium is really striking a chord with me. And it jiggled my brain - I had a jar of Breeder's Edge in the freezer and i am giving him that. Although it is whey based, it's 42% protein and he tolerates it well. He took an almost 2 hour nap and when he woke, he took 2 ml of BE plus 1 ml of pedialyte. I made him wait 5 minutes between each .5ml dose. He got alert & tried crawling and notices whenever anyone is talking or enters the room.
The only setback was he had a terrible gran mal that lasted about 4 minutes. it was too bad because he was seeming to like being stroked.
.....Q: What do you make of this - the gran mals seem to happen shortly after his second or third round of feeding. I don't know if I should try to space the feeding sessions further apart or if I am waiting too long.
And yes, I will be pulling all nighters with him. I sleep on the sofa anyway since I am "on call" all night in case my mom or daughter needs me during the night.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wish I could help. Praying for Tim - and you. You are his bright light - meaning he stays with you, as you stay with him.
Thank you! I truly believe that God hears prayers and sends angels to us as He did to Daniel the prophet. And it really helps to know that the TCS community cares about this and every other kitten. I am ever grateful that he was found before predators. flies and ants attacked him in that yard, alone and critically vulnerable. :grouphug:

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I should mention that after his long nap he was weak again but I switched to raw, unfiltered honey for his gums. The honey seems to work better - he doesn't any flutters or tremors. The vet assured me that his glucose levels were fine & not to worry about giving the corn syrup if the kitten got lethargic but it still is a concern.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
switched to raw, unfiltered honey for his gums. The honey seems to work better -
Good for you!!

I don't know if I should try to space the feeding sessions further apart or if I am waiting too long.
Can you test this, maybe even revise the amount he's being fed? Keep a log and see how things go with time and quantity adjustments.

You are flat-out a saint. Try and don't forget yourself in all this.

:vibes: :worship:. :hugs:. :crossfingers:. :rock:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The honey will only help. If he needs to perk up, use it. It’s just honey.

How far apart are his feedings? And what does he weigh?

I’m very impressed that he took 2mLs after his nap! I think he needs the calories.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good for you!!

Can you test this, maybe even revise the amount he's being fed? Keep a log and see how things go with time and quantity adjustments.

You are flat-out a saint. Try and don't forget yourself in all this.

:vibes: :worship:. :hugs:. :crossfingers:. :rock:
I will try to keep a log. I have been recording his seizures as a video diary

Status
Not open for further replies.