Urgent CRF diagnosis. Vet recommends euthanasia. Devastated

lovemykittehs

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am sorry about your kitty. However--- when my 16+ year old cat was diagnosed with CRF in June, her Creatinine was 9.8 and BUN was 208. We did daily sub-fluids, medications and supplements.

One month later her Creatinine was 3.1 and BUN was 58. So I would not count your cat out just yet, it is not impossible for him to improve!

I'm not sure what Sneakers current levels are but it is around 5+ months later and she is doing pretty well, although she is still quite thin... She is still on fluids and medications but the fluids are now every other day.
My cat was also just diagnosed with kidney failure.  I was wondering what medications and supplements you currently have your cat on? Besides the sub-q fluids. I am giving my cat fluids, but looking for more options to help him with this condition.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dandan

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Jet is on baytril that is inside the SQ fluid. Which supplements and meds is your cat on?

Last edited:

dandan

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you so much. 

dandan

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So it is Monday morning. I slept on the sofa with Jet. He slept very comfortably, like he wasn't sick at all, and woke up a few times only to snuggle into my hand a little more. But he woke up about 15 minutes ago, his breathing is still more noisy ever since I gave him an extra dose of the fluid and baytril mix.  

Anyway, he got up and walked into the bathroom. Then he jumped into the bathtub, where he was sniffing at water. I took him out and put him next to his water but he wasn't interested. I fed him a little wet food until he wasn't interested anymore. Then he lay down next to his water. Then he walked into the cat litter and peed. I left him there so he wouldn't feel like I was stalking him, and when I went back he was lying down in the cat litter! I took him out and he ran into the living room back onto the sofa where he had been sleeping with me all night. 

I just feel like this isn't good. I know I have read on the CRF site, that when they get back from hospital and IV fluids that they sometimes appear to be worse, and am trying to keep hopeful, but it's scary and sad to see him this way. I'm calling the dr. now.

If anyone has any insight into this, please let me know. Thank you. You guys really helped me the night that he was diagnosed

violet

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Looking for water in the bathtub, etc. A dripping faucet might help at a time like this. Also, if you could get a water fountain.

Noisy breathing. If the new vet didn't do a chest X-ray, I would urge you to have one done now, as soon as possible. Listening to lung sounds would also tell the vet a lot about what's going on.

The level 1 heart murmur you mentioned would not necessarily be an indication of heart disease. With noisy breathing and lots of fluids going into a cat's body one would want to check for and rule out an enlarged weakened heart that could not handle all that fluid. Also, even with very serious heart disease cats don't necessarily have a heart murmur. In fact, many don't have any symptoms at all. So, if at all possible, please contact your vet, ask for a quick check and listen and a chest X-ray just to be on the safe side.

I'm following your posts and I'm praying very very hard for you and your baby.

Last edited:

ilovemia

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Just want to let you know that I am thinking of you and your kitty.

Will be checking in through out the day.

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Don't be too concerned with his sleeping by the water, or staring at it longingly, typical CRF kitty stuff.

I second the water fountain, it really does help.

My girl is 17 and was diagnosed three years ago.

What your boy is going through is a crash, just keep him eating and keep him hydrated.

Every time my girl crashes, I think this is it, this is the end, and she usually bounces back in about three days.

She hasn't crashed in a bit over a year now, I let her eat whatever she wants, keep her fountain full and moved her bed with heating pad next to her water.

Sometimes, the only thing she wants is baby food, so be it, whatever makes her happy and keeps her eating.

The vet who diagnosed her also recommended I euthanize, told me she had days at the most, just proves that vets don't know everything.

It's like my mother told me, doctors, nurses, dentists, vets, some graduate at the top of their class, but not all of them.

Keep fighting the good fight, I know that some days it can seem like it's all for nothing, but trust me, you will know when he wants to be let go.

ducman69

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What is the possible downside of administering pain medication at least for now though?   In humans, "flank pain" is one of the symptoms as RF progresses, and unfortunately there is no easy way to ask a cat "does it hurt here".   It is definitely worth a second opinion, but on serious medical issues I would usually defer to the advice of actual doctors if there is a consensus among them.
"And then you're having to get up all time through the night, and then you have the side ache, a backache, and you can't move."

"At night, I would get a pain in my side. It was worse than labor pain. And I'd be crying and my husband would get up, everybody, rubbing my legs."
Best wishes. 

Last edited:

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Really, you don't want to administer any more than is necessary to a CRF cat until their numbers reach a closer to normal range., their renal system is already taxed.

A cat that is in pain will react to a hands-on.

Rest, food, hydration and tackling any secondary infection are priorities.

dandan

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He has barely eaten today. I keep holding food up on my fingers for him to eat. He licks it, but not enough food to get his antacid in. I am giving him water through a syringe - so a little water is getting in. The vet said if he doesn't improve by tomorrow to bring him in. I fear that she will say that nothing more can be done... I am terrified that this is going to be his last day with us. 

His nose is still congested too. I am so depressed.

speakhandsforme

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Have you tried an appetite stimulant or anti-nausea meds, or both? These can work wonders for sick kitties who don't want to eat, but really really need the nutrition, like yours. Shouldn't be hard to obtain from your vet. And I would think that the benefits of him eating would outweigh the risks of putting his kidneys through the meds it takes to get him to do so, but correct me if I'm wrong, Arlyn. :)
Vibes. :vibes:

Last edited:

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Absolutely correct, eating is paramount right now.

See if you can get your vet to give you some Nutri-cal paste, it's caloric-ally dense and most cats (providing they can smell it) will readily eat it.

If his nose is stuffy, try sitting in the bathroom with him and run a really hot shower to steam out the sniffles.

Last edited:

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Syringe feed him wet food instead of giving him water with a syringe - he will get water this way, but most importantly, he will get nutrition. He HAS to eat his regular food intake. Tiny bits won't cut it.
Get yourself some good, large feeding syringes from the nearest pet supply stores (the ones from the vet are too small) - they usually have it by the puppy session or the small animal session - four paws is a good brand. Mash some food with water. The good syringes are 1/2 oz - I have great ones that are 1oz too..... Feed 1 - 1 1/2 oz per meal, several meals a day.... Don't add much water to the food, just enough to go through the syringe. The more water you add, the more you have to feed..... Fill all syringes for that feeding before you start, to make it easier, so buy several sets.....
It is absolutely necessary to feed your baby :vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes:
Good luck hun, hope he starts getting better :hugs:

dandan

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you so much for your advice.  I just fed him with a syringe the way that you instructed. I was able to get some food and his antacid down.

An hour or so ago, I softened and removed the dried mucous in his nose with a warm washcloth, and then I fed him some solid food. He did eat some food from my hand, and when he dropped it, he stooped to eat it by himself. so hopefully things are looking up.  Babysteps...

nekochan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree the steaming in the bathroom (have the cat in the room with the shower running for 5-10 minutes at a time) is a good idea if he is stuffed up. Cats with a stuffy nose often do not want to eat because they can't smell their food.

My cat was also just diagnosed with kidney failure.  I was wondering what medications and supplements you currently have your cat on? Besides the sub-q fluids. I am giving my cat fluids, but looking for more options to help him with this condition.
My cat Sneakers is on a bunch of medications but she has several issues some of which are related to the CRF but your cat might not have, so may not need these medications.

Here is a list of what my cat is currently on(and what they're for)--

Lactated Ringers(sub-q fluids) with B vitamins added

Amlodipine- for her high blood pressure

Benazepril-  for high blood pressure

Prednisolone- anti-inflammatory

Metoclopramide- for nausea/GI tract motility

Mirtazapine- appetite stimulant, given every 3 days

Epotin/Epogen- for anemia (injection given once a week)

Epakitin- for high phosphorus (powder given on her food)

Pepcid- for stomach upset

Azodyl- Renal support supplement

When she was first diagnosed she was also on Baytril but is not any more. She was also very lethargic and didn't want to eat anything at first, I actually had to syringe feed her when she first came home from the hospital after being diagnosed. However she started eating on her own after that and now her appetite is very good and her strength is much better. If they are on fluids they sometimes might not drink as much water since they are being hydrated subcutaneously. As others mentioned a water fountain is a good idea too.

Sneakers is currently getting the Royal Canin Renal prescription food, but she's gotten tired of the Renal wet food so I've been giving her some other types of wet food lately. I try to give her a lot of small meals of the wet food as many small meals a day as I can and then I leave the dry food in case she gets hungry in between or at night.

I also highly recommend these websites for info on CRF as well as treatments and things, it also explains more about the medications:

http://www.felinecrf.org/

http://www.felinecrf.com/

Last edited:

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm so sorry you and your baby are going through this. But the improvement in his numbers is so promising! :clap: Given he's apparently fighting an infection as well here, it's not surprising he wants to sleep and looks and feels lethargic. Poor baby has been through a lot recently. :heart3: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs:

Proper nutrition, hydration, and rest will do a world of good for your baby. :nod: Our little boy is fighting cancer - lymphoma - what was a large mass in his stomach. There have been a lot of ups and downs on this journey (he was diagnosed the end of July). I don't know anything about CRF first hand - just watching others here fight it with their kitties. :heart3: I do know that it's VERY hard to see our babies not feeling well. It's hard not to question and wonder... and the one thing I've learned is that it really helps not to focus on "THE" question ( is it time? ). Focus on what you need to do to make your baby feel better, love on him, and just do your best to make him comfortable. The rest will fall into place. :heart3:

:vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes:

lovemykittehs

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I agree the steaming in the bathroom (have the cat in the room with the shower running for 5-10 minutes at a time) is a good idea if he is stuffed up. Cats with a stuffy nose often do not want to eat because they can't smell their food.

My cat Sneakers is on a bunch of medications but she has several issues some of which are related to the CRF but your cat might not have, so may not need these medications.

Here is a list of what my cat is currently on(and what they're for)--

Lactated Ringers(sub-q fluids) with B vitamins added

Amlodipine- for her high blood pressure

Benazepril-  for high blood pressure

Prednisolone- anti-inflammatory

Metoclopramide- for nausea/GI tract motility

Mirtazapine- appetite stimulant, given every 3 days

Epotin/Epogen- for anemia (injection given once a week)

Epakitin- for high phosphorus (powder given on her food)

Pepcid- for stomach upset

Azodyl- Renal support supplement

When she was first diagnosed she was also on Baytril but is not any more. She was also very lethargic and didn't want to eat anything at first, I actually had to syringe feed her when she first came home from the hospital after being diagnosed. However she started eating on her own after that and now her appetite is very good and her strength is much better. If they are on fluids they sometimes might not drink as much water since they are being hydrated subcutaneously. As others mentioned a water fountain is a good idea too.

Sneakers is currently getting the Royal Canin Renal prescription food, but she's gotten tired of the Renal wet food so I've been giving her some other types of wet food lately. I try to give her a lot of small meals of the wet food as many small meals a day as I can and then I leave the dry food in case she gets hungry in between or at night.

I also highly recommend these websites for info on CRF as well as treatments and things, it also explains more about the medications:

http://www.felinecrf.org/

http://www.felinecrf.com/
Great, thank you.  I had my cat on Epakitin for the first month after initially being diagnosed, then had a second blood test and his phosphorus levels were up so the vet said the Epakitin is no longer necessary.  Though I seen a different vet before the second guy and they said he will need to be on Epakitin for the rest of his life.  Are you giving your cat Epakitin for the rest of it's life?

My cat is also anemic and I was looking for something to help with that - I will mention the Epotin/Epogen to my vet. And also the Azodyl.  Thank you. :)

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise

Can you please let me know which supplements you used? TIA
This thread is a few years old.  If you could tell us what your specific issues are (other than kidney disease), we can try to help you.  Perhaps if you started your own thread?   We would like to try to help you, but not even sure WHO you are addressing your question to, or whether or not they are still part of this forum.  I have a kidney cat myself, so will certainly try to assist you in any way possible, although I don't personally give my get any supplements except an appetite stimulant, mainly because she is impossible to pill (we use a transdermal gel for her appetite stimulant).  We DO give her sub-q fluids though, but I don't consider those supplements.