Urgent!! Cat Just Gave Birth Help

hadd

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
my cat just gave birth to 2 kittens, her nipple are dry and scaly, their top has black dot and black around it, I'm unable to take a pic right now and one the nipples appear torn and well fall off
the kittens are unable to feed, it's been around 3 hrs since she gave the 1st one, I fed them myself with powdered kitten milk, I'm still not sure how much to give them and the frequency
I don't know what to do with my cat's nipples as I'm afraid the milk will never come out :(

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Feed them every hour if they will eat, if not try every two hours. Make the milk/kmr at body temperature. Test it on your wrist, you shouldn't feel either heat or cold.

Have you called your vet?

Can you take the entire family to the vet?

Other posters will be on soon.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

hadd

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Feed them every hour if they will eat, if not try every two hours. Make the milk/kmr at body temperature. Test it on your wrist, you shouldn't feel either heat or cold.

Have you called your vet?

Can you take the entire family to the vet?

Other posters will be on soon.
I'm still waiting for a reply from the vet, Im unable to take them since the vet is far away from me & it's so late now where I live
how much ml should I feed them?

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Place them on their stomaches with heads slightly raised as they would if they were nursing. The can of KMR should say how much. The can also says in very small print that you must burp the kittens after they are fed. Again, lie them on their stomachs and stroke gently down their backs.

Stimulate them to pee by wiping their back ends with a damp cloth. It maybe a few feedings before that part works.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You have received great advice so far, you need to feed them until they don't want to eat anymore. I wouldn't even break it down to specific mls. Let's just assume the mother is not going to be able to feed them right now. She does need a vet but in the meantime, there is KMR for newborns which is what they need now. After eating you will have to stimulate them to go to the bathroom. Although the mom could probably do that part. She will also be able to keep them warm. Are all her nipples dry and scaly? Is she full of milk but nothing is coming out?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
How are the kittens doing today? Have they tried latching onto mom yet?

Mom’s milk usually comes in following birth and is stimulated by nursing.

Apply coconut or olive oil to the dry nipples. Reapply as necessary so they are not chapped.

Have you weighed the kittens? They are fed based on weight.

Is mama keeping the kittens warm?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

hadd

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
thank you all for the replies! an update: the kittens are able to nurse from their mother finally thank god! the vet recommended to put vaseline on her nipples and to massage it gently
they are around 2days and a half day old. I weighted them one was 95g and the other 93
they are warm and their mama is always beside the. just noticing her appetite is not that much big for someone who just gave birth which worries me
will update you again! thanks all for the help

ArchyCat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hopefully you have the powdered KMR, not the liquid. You mix the powdered form with water as needed. You might try supplementing mom cats food with a saucer of KMR everyday. It will provide her extra liquid, fat, and protein that she needs to produce milk. Plus kitten canned food. You can't feed a nursing cat too much!