Urgent: Can You Feed Human Tuna To Cats

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
I have no car to go to store and delivery services haven't delivered food yet Mom on verge of turning on alarm. Please help.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
While not being toxic for your cat, it's doesn't have all the nutrients she will need to survive. In a tight spot you can do it to alleviate her hunger, but I would not recommend a steady diet of it.
Will they be ok til tomorrow? Will they come back or think forget her we'll find another house?

Sararainmaker

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Will they be ok til tomorrow? Will they come back or think forget her we'll find another house?
It's possible they won't like the tuna, every cat's tastes are different, but it should be fine for one night if it's the only option. Even if they don't eat the tuna, they should still be fine for one night without food, just make sure they have access to water.

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
Well can't give them the tuna. We only have the kind in oil. I hope this old food will be ok. I'm crying over this tragedy

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
Well I saved the food that the cats were picking at yesterday and after getting my delivery I added a can of fresh food too it as it's impossible to get to a store at the moment for food with no car. Funny, Shaman won't eat the food that's fresh but if I put out the old food they were picking at yesterday with some fresh mixed in she'll gobble it up. Guess those ants make the food extra yummy. Please don't judge. Last night I thought they were going to be without food and I thought that the old food may have been better than none. And our tuna was in oil. I need to find an emergency back up plan for this sort of thing in the future. And I guess I need to employ a bit of tough love with Shaman which I don't. I"m a pushover for her face and I go through more food trying to please her.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I am not sure if this gets rid of enough of the oil or not, but I was told my a doctor once to use tuna in oil for myself, but to dump the can in a strainer and run it under water to remove most of the oil. He said that more nutrients were left behind in that type of tuna than the water based. However, I don't know if th oil is contraindicated for cats. As for regular water packed tuna, it is perfectly safe in the short term.

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
I’m aware this may not be the greatest as it has seafood and potatoes but I see it’s the only dry food Shaman will eat. Not going to buy it all the time but as suggested I will keep this on hand for emergencies such as last night.
65BC353F-1634-4E77-A91D-ACC01C5A0B45.jpeg