URGENT assistance : HELP with last kitten!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

traveil

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi, it does let me hold him but not for long...he actually likes me to touch him when he’s on the cat tree but meowing all the time still. It seems like my adult cat is stressed up by him as she did not eat as much this morning. He is very healthy, just a bit underweight, everything is fine. I got him dewormed but I couldn’t vaccinate him as it means I will have to keep him for a week. He is now inside my room where I kept my adult cat (don’t worry she’s outside).. he has the whole room to himself just that he kept jumping on bookshelves...and everywhere......

moxiewild

Seniors, Special Needs, Ferals, and Wildlife
Super Cat
Purraise
Do you happen to have a crate or can you borrow one from someone?

There is no stopping a kitten from climbing anything and everything... he is discovering the world! However, a large crate could help to keep him out of trouble when you aren’t there to supervise.

Have you tried playing with him with an interactive toy, like a wand toy?

I agree with everything jcatbird said and mentioned, but maybe some intense play sessions will help tire him out enough to ease his stress (and therefore yours). It can also help keep him from getting into so much trouble!

The kittens I’m fostering now play like crazy. Every 2-3 hours they have an intense 30 minute to 1 hour+ play session. This kitten can’t expend that energy with his siblings like my fosters can, so you need to step in a bit. Any excess, pent up energy will contribute to the anxiety that’s causing him to meow.

To repeat what jcatbird asked, is it possible for you to reunite him with that other sibling the foster has? That would by far be the best solution.

Otherwise, the meowing should stop in about 2-4 days.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He may be picking up the scent of your kitty. The meowing really is a baby searching for comfort. You could low some low, soft music but that can go either way. There is specific music for cats online you could try. I take it since you mentioned not getting him vaccinated because of having to keep him a week means that you have somewhere for him to go? If it is only one week, any chance he can go stay with his sibling?
Try to hang in there. He will settle eventually. Try to put yourself in his position. You would be scared and wanting comfort too. Keep working on petting him and trying to get him to allow you more contact. I assume he is going potty, drinking and eating okay? If he is nervous and not drinking the some wet cat food is very important to give him. It helps keep him hydrated and more comfortable. The more comfortable he is, the less likely to cry.

traveil

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi all, thanks for the advices. I finally got in touch with my friend that has its sibling.. they will be reuniting today :) all good. I think I’m not suitable to handle a kitten, adopting an adult one is really a good choice.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Awwww. I know he may be a little nervous getting back with the sibling but they’ll be fine after they have time to realize they are back together. Sometimes reunions are immediate and sometimes it takes a little bit for them to get over the shock after being apart. They’ll be so happy to be back together once the surprise wears off though. If they hiss at first, don’t let that stop anything. That will pass quickly. Most likely they will immediately go to each other.
Kittens that are brought in from outside do take a little time to settle. That one went through a bit more than the others so meowing was just his way of talking to you. Any rescue at any age is a very good thing. In some places older cats are passed over in favor of kittens so getting an older one is good too. Bravo to any and all rescues. Let us know how the reunion goes. Family back together! Cats do have close family ties so this should be very sweet.

moxiewild

Super Cat
Purraise
Hi all, thanks for the advices. I finally got in touch with my friend that has its sibling.. they will be reuniting today :) all good. I think I’m not suitable to handle a kitten, adopting an adult one is really a good choice.
I feel you! I LOVE kittens and one of our fosters right now is reeeeally after my heart... but I don’t “want” kittens.

In fact, I prefer cats who are at the age they can no longer jump up on counters, tables, etc. They’re more my speed 😂

But, I take in the kitties who need it, so my house stopped being an old folks home long ago!

Thank you for doing all that was necessary. And yes, please keep us updated!

Last edited:

traveil

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi all, since I am not able to upload videos, I’ll upload photos instead. They are both reunited. Turns out that he is the only male among his siblings. He is really happy to be back with his sister. My friend says this breed might be mixed and it is not common to find strays this colour like them. Anyone can update me what breed are they mixed of?

With this photo shown, I do not know who is who. Even my friend is confused. But the one who still hisses is him. :) he’s really lovable. I’m so sorry he got to go through the ordeal for 2 nights.

D1A3882E-5E20-47D1-9A9A-ADC65784EF32.png

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I am not a breed expert, but they look like some sort of Siamese...and I don't even know if that is possible or if I am just assigning a "look" to them. You are really handling all of this the right way and I know it has been stressful for you.

moxiewild

Super Cat
Purraise
I am not a breed expert, but they look like some sort of Siamese...and I don't even know if that is possible or if I am just assigning a "look" to them. You are really handling all of this the right way and I know it has been stressful for you.
There are multiple breeds that look vaguely similar to Siamese. I only know this because my boyfriend has a cat version of the game Sequence 😂

Anyway, I’d be willing to bet they’re at least partially one of those breeds, but not Siamese.

We have a long haired feral with very similar coloring and markings. It’s what earned him the name Pretty Kitty, in fact (we are usually far more creative with naming, but we were in awe of him and he is just soooo pretty!)

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would describe them as lynx point domestic shorthairs. They are cute!

The lynx point color comes from a combination of the recessive gene for colorpoint ("Siamese" points), and the dominant gene for tabby pattern. The colorpoint gene originally came from the Siamese about 70 years ago, but at this time it is widespread through the domestic cat gene pool, so it doesn't indicate a close relationship to the Siamese breed. Most cats are not any particular breed, and are also not "mixes" of breeds, unlike dogs.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with the above. The Cat Fanciers Association calls them Lynx Point shorthairs and there are some who breed to get this coloration although it can be found in ferals too. They should have some Tabby in their genetics along with some Siamese. In the UK I believe they are called Lynx point Siamese. Their exact genetic makeup is unknown but they carry the beautiful markings of both breeds. They may darken some as they age. The stripes may get stronger too. I once rescued a Tonkinese that started out looking like a Siamese but it now nearly brown. A beautiful large boy that is totally devoted to his adopting human. They will be wonderful companions for each other and their human. I am so glad they were reunited. With and link to Siamese they tend to buy a bit more vocal so that may have been part of the baby “speaking out” so emphatically. They look very happy now. Don’t worry about the short time it took to get the last one. Focus on the fact that you did an amazing thing by saving them. :clap2::goldstar:True Kitty lovers everywhere are grateful to rescuers.