URGENT assistance : HELP with last kitten!

traveil

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi...i have been feeding these kittens for a month now and i can assure their mom has abandoned them long ago. They can run and jump and meow but is still very scared of humans. Recently somebody contacted me and said they wanted to adopt them separately, or with 2. I have 4 altogether but as i was catching it, 1 ran off. How should i find back the last kitten? Or should i release those 3 kittens and wait for 4 of them to reappear. I might not be able to catch 4 of them back again... :( I know i am held responsible for the last kitten and it has been guilt tripping me ever since morning. Please help :(:(

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Don’t feel guilty. The kitten will probably be back. How did you catch the three? Trap? If so, in the early morning reset the trap and put something really tasty in there. You could try again tonight but you can’t leave a trapped kitten unattended. You must watch to get the trap in right after catching the kitten. It is not uncommon to miss one or even more in a litter. You just need to keep trying. Don’t give up. It may take some time but the kitten will get hungry and return.
Many here can give you assistance but it would help us if you give us more details about how you caught the kittens. Trap, by hand, letting them inside etc.
Stay calm. This happens a lot. Even with very experienced rescuers. :alright:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

traveil

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Don’t feel guilty. The kitten will probably be back. How did you catch the three? Trap? If so, in the early morning reset the trap and put something really tasty in there. You could try again tonight but you can’t leave a trapped kitten unattended. You must watch to get the trap in right after catching the kitten. It is not uncommon to miss one or even more in a litter. You just need to keep trying. Don’t give up. It may take some time but the kitten will get hungry and return.
Many here can give you assistance but it would help us if you give us more details about how you caught the kittens. Trap, by hand, letting them inside etc.
Stay calm. This happens a lot. Even with very experienced rescuers. :alright:
Hi, I caught them by hand while I was feeding it.. :(

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Okay! Wow! You must be fast! How old are the kittens? Number four is used to being fed by you? If so, it will return. Just keep the same routine you have been doing. Kittens may get scared but they will want to be fed and , especially if you have been or will be around regularly, the kitten will get over being scared and come back.
The more you describe things like where you found them, where you feed them and how they act, the better the advice I can give you. If you live where it is cold, you can set up a Rubbermaid plastic bin with a blanket to help the kitten stay warm until you catch it. Put any form of shelter you can rig in a sheltered place fairly close to where you have seen the kittens play but not where you feed. There are heated shelters that can be purchased too if needed. Most shelters, humane societies or rescue groups can help you. Most have humane traps that may help you catch the kitten quickly if you need it.

There is one good that few kittens can resist. It is Gerber 2nd foods all meat chicken or turkey baby food. Warm it slightly and try to lure the kitten with that. Do you have a carrier or cage? If you put a food dish at the back of a carrier or cage the kitten is likely to go after it and you can quickly shut the door. You can also rig a trap with a couple of fair sized cardboard boxes. You need one with all sides closed up. Cut a hole in one side near the corner. Cut another piece of cardboard that is strong and will cover the hole completely and be longer than that side of the box. Cut slots in each end of the side with the hole so you can slide the second piece of cardboard through to cover the hole after the kitten enters the box. Have the piece of cardboard already inserted in one end and nearly covering the hole before the kitten goes in. This is a bit tricky but might get you through in a pinch. Borrowing a trap or carrier will be much better. You can also use a fish net to catch a kitten. You can get large ones at any Walmart in the section where they sell fishing poles. I don’t know where you live but if none of this works for you, just let us know. We’ll keep working with you to help you figure this out. If you have a way to take photos of the kittens it would help to judge their age too. I think it’s wonderful that you caught three! You did a great thing by catching them.

traveil

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am not sure how old they were...they can eat my dry food as well as cat food though. I live in an area where it is sunny throughout the year. I do have a carrier but for now the 3 of them are inside ready to be given to others for adoption. My friend says the last one will actually die eventually because they hug each other at night.. i'm worried.. If that's the case in the first place i wouldn't even have captured them and go for adoption... :(

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Jcatbird has really covered this very well; just want to add that I don't think that you should re release the other 3 if that is still part of your thoughts. If they can eat wet and dry food, the kitten has a chance on its own, especially if cold weather is not an issue. Rescuing ferals is never a smooth road and it is not because you did anything wrong. Catching the three by hand is a real success story.

I have rescued a number of single kittens over the years, possibly dumped in the area, and I know that some were on their own for a few days with no food until I figured out that they were around and started the process to trap them. I also believe that your kitten sees you as the source and location of food and will be back.

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know how old the kitten is, but can you stand outside and shake a food bag or pour the food out in a bowl? Sometimes keeping it simple works.

Last edited:

traveil

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi all, couldn’t sleep at all last night as I was worried sick about the last one. Its 3 siblings has been adopted and taken away yesterday. So happy and yet so sad at the same time... this is my first time catching kittens and giving them to adopters and it feels so surreal. I really hoped that the adopters will treat them well if not I will hunt them down personally. I also do hope I can find and capture the last one back...I shall only pray for the best...

moxiewild

Seniors, Special Needs, Ferals, and Wildlife
Super Cat
Purraise
try setting out a humane trap. You can often rent one from local animal control for a refundable deposit, or you can purchase one online. In a pinch, if you have a tractor supply near you then ~$30 humane raccoon trap will suffice.

In the meantime, creating a simple, cheap shelternoutnof a plastic tote or small styrofoam cooler will help with warmth.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would love it if you contact a rescue group in your area for advice and maybe they can offer some help. You can just go to google and type in your town, city, county and then feral or stray cat rescue. There are national groups as well who give excellent tips. If you are concerned about who adopts the kitties there are ways to help protect the kitties. Getting a reference from the persons vet is a great way to weed out those you don’t like. If someone refuses that, don’t allow them to take the kitties. A contest can be written up as well that has provisions in it that can scare off those who should not have the kitties. Local humane societies may be able to help too. If you need more information on how to protect the kitties, many here have lots of experience with that. The website for Bestfriends.org might be a helpful resource for information if you need a local group. They have offices in many areas now.
The kittens are absolutely beautiful! They actually look very calm in the photo. That’s amazing! You must have gained their trust. There are four there. I am hoping you caught number four. If not, don’t give up. That’s the main thing with rescuing, patience. I know it’s hard but saving lives is worth it.

traveil

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi all, good news, i managed to catch the last one.. it was tricky but with a bit of patience, i managed to lock it inside my office. It is scared still, meowing endlessly.. how do i make it less stress in this situation? We have placed it into one corner in a box...food and water is provided...just that it keeps meowing away. :( i'm very stressed too.

Oh and my colleagues all reprimanded me for catching them and giving it away stating they were too young.. are they really too young to be separated? I didn't want to cause them stress...i just want them to have a better life..

Last edited:

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They don’t look extremely young. I’m glad you caught the last one. Try to relax a little now. That one is meowing because it isn’t sure what is happening and it is probably lonely. If it will let you handle it then I suggest you try holding and petting it. It may be scared at first but if it allows that, it should calm down. With kittens I often tuck them into bed with me. They want company and just being with a warm body and hearing another beating heart can really make a difference. Make sure that kitten is warm and has plenty of food, water and a litter box. Even soil in a box will do in a pinch. Put a nice blanket in the box too. Kitties want to snuggle down and feel like they are in a safe hiding spot. Since this one is probably missing it’s siblings, if you can reunite them it might be your easiest solution. It’s a bit unusual for anyone to take three kittens at once so make sure they are a good home before turning over the fourth to them. If you have to House this one, it will settle down as it gets to understanding that you will provide love, comfort, playtime and all it needs to survive well as far as food, water and litter. If you have a stuffed toy you could try putting that in for the kitten to snuggle too. A ticking clock sometimes reminds them of the sound of a heart beat. Talking to the baby should help too. Imagine if you had just been brought into a big new place. It would be scary. You should feel good that you saved the kitty from a risky life outside though. If this kitty has grown up as an outdoor feral, life would have been extremely hard and the lifetime of a feral is not likely to be as long as an loved indoor kitty. Your only concern at this point should be providing love, comfort, good care and good health. If you give the kitten these things, you have done a very great thing. Please keep us updated and if you plan to adopt it out, please take care about who you turn it over to. Some people do not have good intentions. You should also make sure the kitten will get vet care and be spayed or neutered. Anyone adopting should keep the kitty indoors. Outside just isn’t the safest place. If you have questions, please post them.,
Bravo for catching the last baby.

traveil

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hey, as for now i have set up an appointment time with the vet and i shall see how it goes from here. It's 2 siblings were taken away by one adopter yesterday and 1 were left at my friend's house. I have an adult adopted stray cat about 7 years old at home.. i'm not so sure about bringing the kitten home with me..

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Deciding to take on another pet is a very personal decision. If you have questions or concerns about bringing the kitten into your home, then many here will try to assist you.

moxiewild

Seniors, Special Needs, Ferals, and Wildlife
Super Cat
Purraise
You can place the kitten in a separate room to keep it isolated from your cat.

A separate room can be a spare bedroom, a bathroom, a laundry room, and even a closet. It’s only temporary.

Place the carrier and box in the room with the kitten with a blanket so he/she can hide and snuggle up. You can use puppy pads, a shower curtain, a tarp, and even newspaper to help line the flooring of the room if you’re concerned about mess. A temporary litterbox can be made out of a plastic tote, a baking pan, even cardboard boxes (either one or several nesting into one). You can use your regular cats litter or just dirt and leaves from outside.

If I’m understanding then this should be very temporary as it seems like your friend is kind of acting as a foster between you and the adopters? If so, you’ll only be holding onto the kitten very temporarily, so there’s no need to get overly complicated with anything.

If you’re taking part in finding and choosing homes for these guys, please Google and search the forum here about how to properly vet potential adopters and what red flags to look out for in order to better ensure they’re going somewhere safe.

Whatever you do, please DO NOT give the kittens away for free. You MUST charge an adoption/rehoming fee - a fee is one of the only things deterring some of the more nefarious and malicious characters who might have interest in them. For kittens in particular, I would charge a fee of at least $50.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
You are doing a great job and have been given a lot of good advice. I agree with the idea of asking for some money; you cared for these cats, fed them, used your time and energy to catch them, and whatever else you can think of. Usually $50 is enough to discourage those who are irresponsible or have bad intentions.

traveil

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi all, i brought home the kitten for a night stay yesterday and it has been howling and meowing ever since...how do i stop him from meowing? It's non stop...even when it eats it meows and eat..help!!!!!!!!

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You haven’t said if the kitten will let you hold it. Tucking the baby close to you and snuggling is probably what it needs. It’s lonely and scared. Missing the brothers and sisters. You said your friend has one of the babies, any chance you can put the two together again?? Have you provided a place for it to hide with a nice blanket.? Try to understand that it’s in a very foreign place and brothers and sisters are missing.Mom isn’t there either so you need to take their place. See if the kitten will lay beside you somewhere. Giving it comfort now is very important. Reuniting it with the other kitten would be the easiest solution but the crying will eventually stop. Try playing with it too. Poor little one. I know the crying is nerve wracking but the reason babies of all kinds cry is to get needed attention.
How did the vet visit go?