Urgent Advice Needed: Outdoor Cat, Too Hot Outside, Too Dangerous Inside

supergirl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi,
About a month ago a 2-month old kitten appeared in our yard. I give her food and water, dewormed her, and now that she reached 1 kg, gave her a vaccine.
sometimes it gets too hot outside (more than 100 F), but there is plenty of shade, and the yard is safe, no other cats come in.
I thought of bringing her in but I'm not sure if it's necessary or even safe.
I live in my parent's house, and I can't move out right now. I have a Persian-mix breed 2 yr old cat, Cotton, who stays in my room while I'm at work. But goes out to the yard to play frequently.
When the 2 of them first met in the yard, there was plenty of hissing from Cotton's (old cat) side, but Oreo (new kitten) actually looks like she wants to be friends or at least play. Then Cotton started just sniffing Oreo and walking away.
today, I tried bringing Oreo into my room, and Cotton got so angry and started fighting with the poor kitten. So I took the kitten out to the yard again. she's a short hair and was born on the street.
So the question is, is it okay if she just stayed outside? or is it double-standard or cruel? If I bring her in and keep her in my bathroom, with a door between her and Cotton, would it be fine? Or would I be confining her?
It's a question of heat and freedom or cool and locked up in a bathroom.
Please help!

LawnCow

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Just my poor opinion, but if you can bring her in from the heat, and have a safe place for her with food, water and a litter box... and out of contact with the other one... she will be angry, but alive.

Years ago I had a beautiful calico cat who absolutely did not want to be an indoor cat.. at all. She would come around every day for food and water and occasionally poach a bird or two from the trees, but she was her own gal.

I lived in a place in FL where the weather was generally mild, but in the winter, we would experience some overnights well below freezing. So, I would lure her into the apartment with food and then lock the door behind her. Usually worked, except for the time she clawed her way thru a metal screen to escape. But typically she was angry at me for a couple hours.. and then I would awake in the morning to find her snuggled up next to me in bed. She got over it.

Yours will too.. just keep both cats safe and fed/watered and the AC on! :)

-Michael

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Thanks for caring for this kitten. Seeing that she now depends on you for food, she'll definitely be hanging around. And since she's still pretty young, and the temperatures outside are hot, I think now is the time to bring her inside, get her acclimated with your home, and do the cat introductions between her and Cotton.

Here are the links to articles with more info. Good luck. Keep us updated.
Introducing Cats To Cats
How To Successfully Introduce Cats: The Ultimate Guide
How To Fix An Unsuccessful Cat Introduction
The Multi-cat Household

KarenKat

Kitty on the half shell, tortie power!
Top Cat
Purraise
I’ve heard that cat dynamics are entirely different in a new territory. Since Cotton accepted Oreo once before, a slow introduction would probably work. Then Oreo gets freedom and nice temperature!