Urgent Advice Needed - Emaciated Stray

Stlhaunted

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm a leo, while on duty last night I was approached by a couple who do home health care and said they found this cat near one of their patient's homes. I'm no good at estimating age but it's definitely an adult. Animal control refused to come out and shelter closed and not taking in animals this weekend. I brought her home and put her in dog cage on my porch. She's all skin and bones and can barely stand. Loads of ticks, ears full or gunk, and she wants lots of petting. I work this county, and yet I can't even get an after hours return call. I've fed her tiny amounts (tsp size) every couple of hours mixed in watered down bone broth. I've pulled ticks and did best to clean her ears. One side of her abdomen sticks out and I'm worried it might be a tumor. All she wants to do is sit in my lap and rubs against my hand. She doesn't want plain water, but will take it if I mix it with bone broth.
The earliest animal control will come out is Tuesday, as is the earliest the shelter will advise if they'll take her. It's been since 6pm last night and she's not even peed. What can I do to keep her alive???
Unfortunately I'm heading out for another 12 hour shift. My son will keep encouraging her, but I'm afraid of making her worse. I googled rescues near here, but the closest is a drive and I'm not going to be able to meet anyone before Monday, probably Tuesday because of the holiday and my work schedule.
I'm sorry of the answers are in the forums somewhere, I literally Googled to find this place to begin with and I've got to go to work. Help please?! 14959052907031190098783.jpg

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can you get her to a vet? They would know what to do. Thank you for helping her!

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Until you can get her to a vet, frequent but small amounts of the water mixed with the bone broth (IF it is low sodium...you don't want added salt at this point). Syringe feeding of a pate type cat food mixed with water might also work, but SMALL amounts! She does need to see a vet as soon as possible. A tumor is a very real possibility, although there are other conditions that could cause that.

I can tell you that she started life in someone's home, and either strayed or was dumped.

Thank you for the job that you do, and for going out of your way to assist this little soul. It is, perhaps, the truest definition of "To Protect and Serve."

SeventhHeaven

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Dont be to alarmed that she hasn't urinated yet if really dehydrated it may take a few more hours give as much
liquid as it will drink great mixing water with food or broth as you are doing don't stop do not go in your
house with same clothes especially if you have other pets, change in mud room or something wash everything
that is in contact with the cat. What you're doing is wonderful! looks like she's a beautiful friendly love bug :) *Make and offer home made pedialyte if you buy it get clear none flavored that will really help her!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Stlhaunted

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Unfortunately, I seriously don't have the funds to take her to emergency vet nor can I take off work. I left a message for a non profit place to see if they can help. Three of us live on my income alone so I just can't take on that financial responsibility. On a good note, she is walking and even went down the porch steps to pee TWICE! Still eating tiny amounts.
The bone broth I didn't make had added salt, but I had some homemade frozen so it's thawing now. Hopefully the salt in the purchased broth wasn't too much.
How about nutritional yeast? Can a cat have that? It has vitamins.
I've gone through a few outfits already when i pet her. I feel awful leaving her in dog cage a lot, but it's necessary. My boys have gone through every towel in the house so they can hold her while I'm working.

Thank you for the responses. Our shelter here is a kill shelter, so hoping for a good response from the non profit. My sister has me paranoid that if animal control comes on Tuesday, they'll just euthanize her.

Last edited:

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hopefully they won't put her to sleep if she's friendly. Worms can sometimes make their stomach stick out. If she has fleas, she probably has worms. The low cost clinic I go to has pretty good prices on the normal stuff. But if anything else is wrong with her, you're right, it could get expensive. They have over the counter stuff for fleas and roundworms, but I don't think they have one for tapeworms anymore.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm sending this link to an article here. Check the links at the bottom. You may be able to find assistance with vet care.

Stlhaunted

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ok, I actually think it's a neutered male now. He let me pick him up and look, then scratched me. Over the lumpy side that sticks out, I thought I felt a scab. Parted the fur, and it's a tick over half buried under the skin. I tried to grab it with tweezers, but it obviously hurt and it won't come loose. Before I left for work, I held alcohol soaked cotton ball over it. Since he scratched me, I told my kids just to leave it be and I'll try again in the morning.
Am I missing something, because I'm not seeing article?

Attachments

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You could try rubbing it with coconut oil. That's what I did with my cat.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, coldpressed coconut oil organic style is good to soothen inflammations, both extrernal and internal. Not too much internal, as oil is also used agaisnt constipation.

Goats milk is good - if you can get raw goats milk its even better. Even if raw may be pricey.

A good kmr may also be used, although it costs more than goats milk.

Stlhaunted

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The first two front legs are not visible. The skin is swollen up over top of it and it looks almost like the skin is fused around it. I'll try coconut oil when I get home tonight. Thanks!
I'll have to ask around for raw goat milk.

JamesCalifornia

Mr.Mom to a house of cats 😇😼
Top Cat
Purraise
~ My cats love a can of sardines in olive oil. They also love steamed chicken . Half & half may also help.
I clean my cats ears with a tissue around my finger dipped in mineral oil . Try to get a dose of Frontline applied behind kitty's neck . ( generic sold @ Target & Wal-Mart )
Your new friend sounds close to death but I bet he can be restored to health . All the best to you !

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Did rubbing the coconut oil on the tick get it off? I agree with James, Frontline (Fipronil) is really good on the back of the neck for fleas, ticks, and sometimes mites.

Stlhaunted

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I went out of town for training on Monday. I left my teens home to keep feeding him. Tuesday, animal control picked him up and were supposed to call me. I got back into town late last night. This morning I went to shelter to check on him. They had already euthanized him. Said the bulge was a hernia and he was older, so they decided it was better to put him to sleep. Maybe he was "too old" but I didn't think his teeth looked that bad. My mom's cat is about 15 and missing a bunch of teeth, my Crybaby is about 9 or 10 and just getting discoloration on the back. His mouth looked more like Crybaby's. I wish it would have been a different week, or I'd had money put aside to spend. Perhaps if I had taken him to a vet, he would've had a chance.
All I can do now is regret the decision to let them take him. In the future, I'll just have to find a way. Perhaps a vet would have said not worth it, but it seems hernias are repairable, just not for a shelter expense.
Heartbroken.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry, that is heartbreaking. Yeah, Animal Control and ASPCA often don't have the funds for sick or feral cats so they put them to sleep. At least you gave him a little bit of love before he passed on. RIP little guy.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Rest you gentle, Old Man, dream you deep. Your passing is marked, and you are remembered.

You did the best you could at the present time. And you did far more than many would have done. Bless you for making his last days comfortable.