Urethral Obstruction Removed, Happy cat but pees small clumps

Fluffyfatty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello everyone

My cat is on Day 5 after his first urethral obstruction was removed successfully. He is behaving completely normally now, playing, eating and drinking fine.

He’s not straining much anymore, not frequenting the litter box ever so often anymore, and his pee is released in a steady normal stream now.

My ONLY worry is that the volume of his pee each time he goes is still small. Not one drop small (thank god we are past that) but like the size of a small strawberry or a silver coin). I use clumping litter so I can easily tell how big his pee is.

Compared to the rest of my cats, his pee clumps are smaller. Which is weird because he definitely is drinking more water than his siblings (I put lots of water in his food).

I mean sure he goes to the litter box more often that his siblings in a day but it’s not in a worrying pattern.

Some points to note:
-he is on 3 medications: antibiotics, anti spasm and meloxicam for pain/inflammation

- he has completely NOT taken any dry food in this 5 days, only wet food with plenty of water that I made him drink

What do you think? Is the small clumps of pee post urethral obstruction removal normal? Shouting out to owners that have experienced the same!

lalagimp

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If they think it's UTI related then the antibiotic should be clavamox depending on what country you are in . Did they pull the urine and do the three day culture? Anti spasm would be prazosin , and then metacam is only supposed to be very short term because of what it can do to the kidneys. Was he peeing larger volumes before or have you only noticed that now after the problems, he seems to pee less than the others?

Any pee without straining or bleeding is great. Any appropriate pee without incontinence is great.

So - Tommy has all the problems in this house, and he pees like a horse. You can hear it the next room over. He'll go about twice a day. He'll be done in about ten seconds. Stewart has never had these issues. He's on the same diet, is a silent tinkler, and takes 35-45 seconds. Ever since Tommy's blockages, his father worries when he sees Stewart like that.
"Is he okay?"
"Yes. He's Stewart. This is what he does. If you don't believe him them go grope his sides and see if he yells like Tom did."

Also -high five on getting the wet food switch

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Fluffyfatty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If they think it's UTI related then the antibiotic should be clavamox depending on what country you are in . Did they pull the urine and do the three day culture? Anti spasm would be prazosin , and then metacam is only supposed to be very short term because of what it can do to the kidneys. Was he peeing larger volumes before or have you only noticed that now after the problems, he seems to pee less than the others?

Any pee without straining or bleeding is great. Any appropriate pee without incontinence is great.

So - Tommy has all the problems in this house, and he pees like a horse. You can hear it the next room over. He'll go about twice a day. He'll be done in about ten seconds. Stewart has never had these issues. He's on the same diet, is a silent tinkler, and takes 35-45 seconds. Ever since Tommy's blockages, his father worries when he sees Stewart like that.
"Is he okay?"
"Yes. He's Stewart. This is what he does. If you don't believe him them go grope his sides and see if he yells like Tom did."

Also -high five on getting the wet food switch
Definitely peeing a larger volume before he had his first UTI. Now he’s been peeing smaller clumps. Perhaps the total volume in a day is the same now and before but the volume of each visit is smaller than before.

No 3 day culture, just a culture the night itself when I rushed him in for his first blockage. But I’ll definitely be looking to test his urine once more to see what changed.

I feel you. Ever since he had his first blockage, I’ve been obsessed with his pee and basically following him around. I feel for his bladder every night as well. This definitely traumatised me. I don’t think I’ll ever live another day where I don’t worry that he will have a sudden reoccurrence.

lalagimp

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I feel you. Ever since he had his first blockage, I’ve been obsessed with his pee and basically following him around. I feel for his bladder every night as well. This definitely traumatised me. I don’t think I’ll ever live another day where I don’t worry that he will have a sudden reoccurrence.
I have no doubt that if it can happen again, Tommy will be the one to achieve it. He's always been an over-achiever. When I see him going in and out of the box, my heart drops. It's usually just his booty, and I do a quick deep raking with my fingers through his abdomen to be sure he's not going to give me that scream... the one that says I can't pee.

Next week will be three years since the first block, and it never changes. The first time he was on kibble with a urine pH of 8. There were crystals. The second and third times in the same week were not crystal related, his pH was down to at least a 7, and were likely issues with cystitis. We were like if y'all can't keep him from blocking then we have the technology to rebuild him.