Upset tummy

faeleen

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My kitten, Fae (who just turned 4 months) has had tummy issues the last week. She started having diarrhea and I though maybe it was the probiotic I add to all of my cats food. I have stopped to see if it helped but she stated getting a hemorrhoid and really bad gas. She is seeing the vet in a few hours but was hoping for some opinions. She has been on the same food for about a month (Merrick Canned) and has already had has been spayed and due for her last set of shots in the beginning of August. She also has been dewormed before we adopted her and again with her first set of shots (also did a culture of her poop that can back negative). Any ideas as to what has caused this?

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
What did the vet say?  It could be food intolerance or even parasites.  Often, they have to be dewormed more than once to get the complete life cycle out of their systems.

nikki f

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Would love to know what your vet says. I would add some canned pumpkin to your kitten's wet food. Make sure it is not the pumpkin pie filling, just the plain canned stuff. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

faeleen

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The vet did decide to deworm her for the 3rd time with a medicine that works on a more broad range of parasites. He did not find anything under the microscope though. We are also sending out for another culture. She will be on the dewormer for a week along with a anti-diarrhea med that the vet said should help make her more comfortable (gas, ECT.). If it's not better in a week he will do more testing and maybe put her on a antibiotic for a intestinal infection.

faeleen

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Fae is still not any better- she has finished her coarse of deworming and the anti-diarrhea meds didn't help much. Will be bringing another sample for the vet today but I think after our last convo she will be put on an antibiotic for any intestinal bacteria that may be causing this. This has been very stressful for both of us. She eats and plays happily like a normal kitten but it comes to the gas, occasional straining and diarrhea (slimy, not liquid), she the gets a sore butt and often has to get a clean up afterward. She never like baths but sometimes I will run some warm water in the bath tub and she will sit her sore butt in it with such relief, I feel so bad for her.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Bless her little heart! I am glad she is seeing the vet today, and agree that the antibiotic for a possible intestinal bug is the way to go now.

This is a long time for a kitten to be having these issues, and it is thoughtful that you give her relief in the tub. A bit of olive or vegetable oil on her bum might offer relief as well.

If the antibiotic does not help, and I certainly hope that it does, I think you might want to try changing her diet. Sometimes a particular brand of food simply does not agree with a cat's system, and a small dietary change can work wonders. There could be one ingredient that could be the culprit.

The suggestion of mixing canned pumpkin into her wet food is a very good one for relief of diarrhea.

Good luck and let us know how she's doing after her vet treatment! :)

Last edited:

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Has she been tested for giardia and tritrichomonas foetus?  Those would be the two biggies that cause loose stools.  However, it could be food intolerance as well.  My guy gets the runs when we try to change his food.  We feed him a prescription dry with grain-free canned.

faeleen

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank for your responses! She has been tested for giardia I know for sure and came back negative, the other I will need to double check with my vet that it will be tested. Can any of you recommend a diet (wet) that might help if she is having food sensitivities? Or at least where to start?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
What did the vet say today? And how is your kitty doing?

You may want to start a new thread in Cat Health asking about diet. We have advisors and many members who have a great deal to suggest about diets. :)

faeleen

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She's doing good other then the diarrhea. The vet did a psychical (no temp). She is now on a week long course of antibiotics. We have to watch her and make sure she is getting enough fluids- by Thursday if she isn't any better (regardless that she hasn't finish the meds), we need to bring her back for them to get some blood on her.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Have you tried mixing some canned pumpkin into her wet food? This usually works very quickly on diarrhea.

You can also give her boiled chicken and cooked rice or scrambled egg. All of this is good for diarrhea.

I hope she is better by Thursday. Let us know how she is doing and if you decide to change her food. I do think that's worth a try.

I'll check your new thread in Health once you get it going.

faeleen

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It's 1:30am and I'm just finally going to bed it's been a difficult night- Fae's diarrhea is now pure liquid and she she started burping earlier this evening which lead to a big projectile vomit later in the night. She had to get cleaned up multiple times and wasn't happy about it. She wanted to go bounce around and play but I was afraid she would make herself more sick. She calmed down now and is sleeping but we have to call the vet first thing in the morning to see what to do next.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Oh yes, definitely! She is a very sick cat. Has she had any food or liquid? I am concerned about dehydration with the vomiting and diarrhea!

Last edited:

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would ask the vet for a prescription dry food.  We feed our guy Royal Canin Gastrointestinal HE.  Ask the vet if you can get a sample bag. 

faeleen

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Everything came back negative at the vet- they started her on another anti diarrhea medication. I'm unable to give it to her myself at home, so she will be going in once a day for the next five days to get it, as well as starting on a id diet. They really don't have any explanation other than she might out grow it or it might be something to do with her internal organs.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Hmm. I sure hope she gets better!

So they did not think it was an infection?

I hope the diet works too.

Keep us updated. This is worrisome.

faeleen

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Update:
Yesterday was Fae's first day on the new anti diarrhea meds, we all switched her to some dry food and wet ID at night. The vets has her finishing her course of antibiotics and she went back in today for her second dose of meds. So far no more upset tummy! When she went in for her meds today they vet did another look over of her in the back again and got a weight and she is 5 lbs. @ 4 months old. Hopefully things will continue to look up :)

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Thank goodness! I am so relieved to hear this. I was very worried. :)