Upping the l-lysine dose?

dkb817

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well, it appears that my finicky boy caught a cold or URI (probably just a cold) from the Vets office. He’d been mostly okay since his appointment, some minor sneezing but nothing to worry about, but now he’s sneezing like crazy (and this is within the last few hours that it has developed; he wasn’t sneezing this bad when I fell asleep earlier). The vet is out of the office until at least Monday, but would probably just say that we have to let it run its course - which is true, but if I can give his immune system a bit of a boost, I will.

would upping the amount of the l-lysine paste that he gets in his wet food be a reasonable step?

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
Hmm.....since it's Sunday I would wait till Monday and check with doc, just in case,
or can you contact doc through an answering service? I hope your boy is soon on the mend.

Rhall

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I give my Ollie the lysine chews. He gets one per day and two per day (one morning/one night) if he's showing symptoms.

cheeser

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, we use L-lysine powder instead of treats, so I don't know how helpful I can be. :wink:

But our vet told us to double the regular daily dose during flare ups for our FIV/FHV kitty who frequently suffers from upper respiratory symptoms.

Steam also helps our kitty when he's sneezy and congested. We just close him up in the bathroom with us when we take a shower, and the steam helps to clear his sinuses a bit.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dkb817

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hmm.....since it's Sunday I would wait till Monday and check with doc, just in case,
or can you contact doc through an answering service? I hope your boy is soon on the mend.
the doc doesn’t have an answering service unfortunately (he‘s a small town vet who is amazing in all other areas though, so I can let this one slide :lol2:).

luckily, he doesn’t seem to be sneezing as much this morning (I did wind up giving him a larger dose of the l-lysine last night and this morning, though). Maybe he just needed a little help to get over the hump? I won’t look a gift horse in the mouth, and will just be glad for the improvement.

But our vet told us to double the regular daily dose during flare ups for our FIV/FHV kitty who frequently suffers from upper respiratory symptoms.
i just need to start thinking of this as a chronic problem that will require adjustments as needed, I guess. My last cat had Megacolon (which is a literal crapshoot to figure out). Hopefully, my future pets are healthier :lol:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dkb817

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Just as a follow up: I ended up calling the vet this morning after Simon showed signs of loud gassy bowel movements hat were borderline diarrhea with mucus in them, and mentioned the cold.

He is totally on board with upping the l-lysine for a few days. With the stools, he thinks that switching from a mix of dry and wet food to predominantly wet food might have given him a bit of an upset stomach. He’s also on board with giving it a few days, but said if he’s still having issues in a few days, that I could come in and get these probiotic capsules (I didn’t think to write the name down) that come in blister packs and give him one of those per day to regulate things.