Upper Respiratory Infection

Lotusflwr79

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi!! My two young kittens were diagnosed with URI, placed on RX Lysine. It’s been about 3 weeks. One of them Romeo, has a stuffy nose and hard to breathe when sleeping. The other, Kona, is better but now his eye is running. They both get Homeopet Nasal Decongestant daily. Is there anything OTC for the eyes? I’ve read to use Little Noses to dry out stuffy nose. They both still sneeze. 😕 they’re supposed to go back to vet next week for boosters but I want to know if there is anything to give before then for the eyes? The runny eyes isn’t goopy, more watery. Thank you! 😊

EmersonandEvie

Mom to Evie, Emerson and Dexter
Top Cat
Purraise
Is the runny eye clear or goopy/infected looking? Your best bet would, in either case, be to wipe their eyes gently with a warm, damp cloth. The vet can give you OTC ideas for their eyes if you call!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Lotusflwr79

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well, I called vet and they wouldn’t give me OTC options. They need to go in. My husband came home today and neither of their eyes looked great. One of them has goopy, one def has watery but a pink rim. I know they were exposed to feline herpes and they have a secondary infection. Hoping to get them both in tomorrow, Friday the latest. I just want them to feel better. Romeo can’t even breathe normal. I got Little Remedies saline for his nose and an ophthalmic antimicrobial eye drop from Petco that is supposed to help conjunctivitis. Hoping it helps both of them until we see vet.

CatLover49

All Cats Are Special
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, I called vet and they wouldn’t give me OTC options. They need to go in. My husband came home today and neither of their eyes looked great. One of them has goopy, one def has watery but a pink rim. I know they were exposed to feline herpes and they have a secondary infection. Hoping to get them both in tomorrow, Friday the latest. I just want them to feel better. Romeo can’t even breathe normal. I got Little Remedies saline for his nose and an ophthalmic antimicrobial eye drop from Petco that is supposed to help conjunctivitis. Hoping it helps both of them until we see vet.
YES do get them in ASAP..my boy Snowball went through same symptoms...And the VET clinically diagnosed him with feline HERPES ...Abd thats been months ago..And hes still healing from the conjunctivitis....Hes better..knock on wood...But hes 11yrs poor baby..n think it hit him bad...And YES he had a URI....with it...Loud snoring noise when he was sleeping..But hes alot better NOW..still recovering with the eye though...but better..Thank GOD....

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I called vet and they wouldn’t give me OTC options. They need to go in. My husband came home today and neither of their eyes looked great. One of them has goopy, one def has watery but a pink rim. I know they were exposed to feline herpes and they have a secondary infection.
Your vet is following the proper protocol. Therefore, it's best that you get them in, the sooner the better. Here is a TCS Article that may help explain the symptoms and treatment: Feline Herpes And Rhinotracheitis

Best of luck, please keep us posted on their progress. :alright:

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would definitely get them back to the vet. Sounds like the first treatment plan didn't work well enough. That's actually common. Maybe you can ask the vet for a prescription nose/eye drop and an antibiotic.

Lotusflwr79

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
They are both going this afternoon. Both have swollen lids, and now both are stuffy. I feel so terrible for them. They are eating and playing like normal, though, which is a positive sign. I just hate waking up everyday and seeing their eyes so watery and goopy. I’ll update later today. 🐾🐾

Lotusflwr79

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Update: Diagnosed with feline herpes (which we knew). Placed on Clavamox oral antibiotic and Erythromycin opthalmic eye ointment for conjunctivitis. Good news is both have gained a significant amount of weight even though they haven’t been feeling well... they eat like 2 growing kittens! Hopefully by monday they should be 90% better!! 🐾🐾💙💙🐱🐱