Upper Respiratory Infection question...

brynnsmom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey guys,
Haven't posted in a while, have been very busy, but I have a question.
Quattro, my younger boy(approx 8 months now I think) came down with a minor URI last week, sneezing and one eye was a little watery. Spoke with the vet and because he was still eating voraciously and being his feisty self, they said there was no need to bring him in. He seems to be recovered now, haven't heard any sneezing at all today, and his eye has dried up.
However, now Beaker has it... My question is, will they keep giving it back to each other? Or will Beaker get over it, and then they will be done? I know that once they've had it certain things like stress can bring it out again. But really what I'm worried about is them giving it back to each other over and over again.
If this is a concern, is this something a vet can treat if it is not affecting the cat? I assume if one of them got really sick treatment would involve IV fluids/antibiotics? I'm prepared to take them to the vet, but not if it's something they will both get over on their own. And of course if Beaker gets lethargic or stops eating/drinking/eliminating, I will bring him in right away.
Okay, sorry this is so long, lol. Any advice would be appreciated.
Lena.
Beaker
Quattro
Vertigo Run Run Rudolph
Stoverly's Taste the Rainbow

nutrolori

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It has been awhile since I have dealt with URI in cats but from what I can recall they can be passed back and forth. I would talk to your vet to be sure the best course of action. Isolation of the sick one is always recommended. Clean all toys, beds, bowls, etc. they each come in contact with to help minimize re-exposure.

Good luck to you! I hope everyone feels better soon!

Also, there was another thread about URI's. Maybe it will help.

http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/sho...&highlight=uri

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If they are healthy cats & it is a very mild URI, sometimes antibiotics aren't necessary & they don't pass it back & forth. But that's hard to know. Some people opt to wait & see if the other one gets it, & if so then start both cats on antibiotics at the same time.

val heimerich

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I volunteer with 4 rescues and have many cats of my own. I researched upper respiratory infections for a story I was working (I write about cat rescue for the Sacramento edition of Examiner.com), and was surprised by some of the facts. It confirmed that the cats should not go untreated, as the viruses can stay chronically and infect other cats even when asymptomatic. If you want to read the article, click here here or go to sacramentocatrescue.com.

sweetpea24

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Get Beaker to the vet! Your cats will pass it back and forth and even if they don't, why take the chance? Your first cat should have been kept in isolation at the hospital or at the very least in a room in your home where you would follow proper isolation procedures. Antibiotics won't do anything if it's a viral infection but your cat will be dehydrated. If it were me, I wouln't compromise the health of your other cats. Their immune system may or may not be strong enough to fight it but why risk it? Maybe giving them some vitamin C and zinc would help but IMHO, take Beaker to the vet.