Upgrading to Windows 8 Pro

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have spent all day doing this upgrade, and I'm sure I still have some bad surprises coming.  If you're going to do it (and the price is reasonable, only $40 if you download the software), here are some points.

If you currently have Windows 7, why would you upgrade?  But if you do, everything will migrate over.  Programs, settings, personal files, everything.

If you currently have Vista, you will lose all of your current programs.  This is because the upgrade completely clears out your C drive.  It will only keep your current settings and personal files (documents, for example, if they're in the Documents folder).

Move everything you want to keep off of C, as far as programs are concerned.  Find out how to save your bookmarks if you're using anything but IE.  I thought I had lost my entire bookmarks file for Firefox, but I managed to find them after a good deal of looking and careful experimentation.

Save anything like passwords and logins for any web sites you might not have handy. 

And set aside at least a day to get yourself up and running.

If you have a restore segment on your hard drive, they say it's possible to revert to your previous OS.  Don't bet on it.  One thing you sign with the upgrade is that you no longer have any right to use the previous OS, since the Windows 8 is upgrading it.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I ordered my new computer I was asked, in fact encouraged to go with Windows 8.  I insisted on Windows 7 Pro 64 bit, because I had Windows 7 starter on my notebook and it was very similar to Windows XP, which I absolutely loved.  Then they kept telling me that Windows 7 Pro was meant to run on systems that are on a server and that it wasn't for home use; which I know to be a crock.  I insisted on WIndows 7 Pro and told them that if they would not sell that version to me, then they would lose out on a sale. I got Windows 7 Pro, and it works like a dream :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Dottie has Windows 7 on her machine, and it does work very well.  I feel like Windows 8 is a mid-step between 7 and 9, with the opening page thrown in.  It's OK, and it does work pretty well, but it does some funny things.  And the START button is completely gone (although I think you can get it back).