Update Sassy La Rue :(

sassy's mom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sassy got home last Saturday from being in the hospital all week with an IV and antibiotics. I took her in yesterday for a check up and they called today with her blood work. Her BUN was up to 63 and Creatine rose to 3.5. Now, we're going to be doing SubQ at home three times a week to see if we can get it under control. Also, she is going on a kidney stone diet on Thursday when the food we ordered comes in. Please keep your fingers crossed for her. We want to beat this kidney disease.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Awww, shucks -- I'm so sorry to hear that Sassy's levels went up a little from going down!
Absolutely you know that The Nine and I are keeping her and you in our best prayers and healing thoughts.
The sub-Q is not as bad as you might think -- you'll both get used to it pretty quickly -- and hopefully it will really help her.
I always put my angel Moti in her carrier with the top open to give her her fluids -- that way, she was confined, and I had access to her where I needed it. You need for her to be confined because she can't be running away with the needle in her. I always hung the saline bag on a coathanger and hung THAT on the shower so it'd be up plenty high, the way it should be; and I put her carrier on the floor right outside the shower, and closed the bathroom door "just in case". I'd stroke her and talk to her for awhile before and after treatment. She was a little trooper. Hopefully Sassy will be as well. BEST LUCK to you both! We're in your corner.

curlyq629

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Aww, geez, sorry to hear about Sassy's numbers going up. Hopefully the sub-q's will do the trick! Good coming your way!

vettech

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sassy may have to remain on subQ fluids a couple of days a week for life. I go to clients homes and give fluids to several cats several times a week.

SHe is sooo cute too! Pm me any time with questions, I dont always read all the threads as I am so busy.

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am sorry to hear this, but you'll quickly (hopefully, this was my experience) get the whole giving sub-q fluids down to about a 10 minute routine in your day.

I highly recommend using Terumo Ultra Thin Wall (UTW) needles versus what the vet's office will give you. Plus, checking the first posts in the stickied crf thread, will talk about where to buy supplies including the fluids..usually for less than at your vets.

pookie-poo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Please don't get discouraged by a slight increase in her numbers. You will need to watch the numbers over time to see what the trend is. One of the sayings on the Feline-CRF-Support site is: Treat the cat, not the numbers. If your kitty is acting well and seems happy...don't worry too much about what the numbers are! My parents' cat, Samson, lived for over 4 years with a creatinine of 3.5. He was a very nasty cat, and I could only do sub-Q fluids on him about twice a week (he bit me once and put me in the hospital for a week on IV antibiotics!) My Cleo has been on sub-Q fluids for over 5 years, and CRF for over 6 1/2 years. Please don't hesitate to PM me if there's anything at all that I can help you with. We're here for you and Sassy.

~~Hugs~~
Pookie & the girls

lioness

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am sorry to hear about beautiful Sassy La Rue.

I hope she gets better soon and is able to beat this disease.

vettech

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sassy has a kidney stone? Are they going to remove it? Her bun is not too high and her creatinine should be lower, we worry more when it is getting over 5. When it gets to 8 is when cells start dieing off. She is a young girl and will get her kidneys back to normal providing she stays on the special diet and her fluids and her kidneys should return to normal.

If she has a stone her kidneys can not flush properly keeping the levels high.

dez

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry to hear that Sassy is having a hard time right now. I hope that you guys are able to get her numbers low again.

Sending positive kitty thoughts your way.

mooficat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
aww heck, sorry about these latest results

lots and lots of positive vibes whizzing over for your sweetie

lots of fingers and paws crossed

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sassy's mom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yeah, they found two stones: one in the right kidney and one in the urethra of the left kidney. We ordered her a special diet for kidney stones that is supposed to help disolve the stones.

Thank you all, AGAIN!
, for your support. It means the world to us.

Oh and on the bright side, she's definitely acting like herself. She woke up mommy and daddy this morning by playing with the headboard and letting us know we had slept too long.

vettech

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
With support care such as fluids and diet, she should be normal soon!

Did they remove the stones?

barkleysjester

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sassy's Mom

Sassy got home last Saturday from being in the hospital all week with an IV and antibiotics. I took her in yesterday for a check up and they called today with her blood work. Her BUN was up to 63 and Creatine rose to 3.5. Now, we're going to be doing SubQ at home three times a week to see if we can get it under control. Also, she is going on a kidney stone diet on Thursday when the food we ordered comes in. Please keep your fingers crossed for her. We want to beat this kidney disease.
All the best to your Sassy girl! for a good recovery!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sassy's mom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
No, not at this time are they going to remove the stones. We're going to try to get them to disintegrate with diet. They said that the surgery would be too risky for her right now.

pookie-poo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If the stone is completely blocking the ureter to the left kidney, there is a good chance that it could cause that kidney to die. Very few kidney stones will just 'dissolve'. Most need to be either passed via parastalsis of the ureter itself, or removed surgically. In humans, we can do a ureteroscopy and remove the stone with either a laser or a basket extraction, but a cat's ureter is far too small to do that. Does your cat have any signs of hydronephrosis in that kidney? It would show up on an x-ray. Diet changes can prevent new stones from forming, but do not do anything to get rid of existing stones.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Pookie-Poo's advice/information is good. Hope you can find the answers to those important questions and proceed from there. Still holding her and you in prayers and healing thoughts, of course! Keep us updated, won't you?

vettech

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I asked my vet friend and she said that they should remove the kidney stones and then put the cat on a prevention diet.
Sounds to me like she is just going down hill. She is ill due to her BUN and creatinine rising and in turn will raise her phosphorus.

Maybe get a second opinion?

cloud_shade

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wasn't aware that feline kidney stones could be removed, particularly the ones in the kidney itself. Does anyone have sites that indicate that surgery in cats is successful?