Update on Stripey my FIV Stray

aswient

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Stripeys test on the mass he had on his gums came back negative, no sign of cancer.
I've been giving him his painkillers and antibiotics so the Vet wants to see him on Monday to see how he is healing up after the mass and some of his teeth were removed. I won't let him out of the house anymore, my only problem now is I have other cats that do not have FIV. I will have to keep Stripey by himself in a spare room. He was always a loner outside, since i've been feeding him. But now I hope he will be happy in the room. He really doesn't play with toys I guess he's had such a hard life outside that he has no light hearted side to him. When I go in he is always laying by the door. There are windows in there he can look out of but he doesn't seem to be interested. Do you think he will settle down? I'm a little afraid that when the medication is stopped he will get more antsy to get out. He is such a sweet little guy with all his troubles he still wants hugs and pets. Everyone in the Vets office loved him. I just want him to be happy.

motoko9

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
That is really wonderful news!

Some people say you can keep FIV-positive and negative cats together, but others advise against it. It's a personal choice, and I imagine you very much want to protect your FIV-negative cats from possible infection.

Are there any members here who have experience with FIV? It would be good to hear from them.

blaise

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
What a relief that the growth was benign!

Thought I'd share a couple of thoughts....related to his confinement in the one room and, considering that he's previously had absolute freedom to roam...

If he were here, I think I'd periodically seclude the other cats so that he could have his "turn" at the run of the house. I've done this in the past when introducing a new cat. I've herded them all into another room by shaking the treat bag and let the new one out.

An outdoor enclosure might be a consideration as well.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

aswient

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Motoko9

Thank you for your good thoughts and suggestions, I really appreciate it.

Blaise

Good suggestion, maybe he would like to roam a little bit around the house. An enclosure is an option also. Thank you so much for your help.

eilcon

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That's great new about Stripey.

Honestly, since FIV isn't spread through casual contact (practically the only source of spreading is through deep bite wounds), I wouldn't hesitate to let him have contact with your cats. If the cats don't fight, it's perfectly fine to have FIV positive cats in the same household with FIV negative cats. I know many people in this situation and it's worked out fine. I've fostered two FIV+ cats who had contact with my own, who are negative, and it hasn't been a problem.

Good luck!

aswient

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by eilcon

That's great new about Stripey.

Honestly, since FIV isn't spread through casual contact (practically the only source of spreading is through deep bite wounds), I wouldn't hesitate to let him have contact with your cats. If the cats don't fight, it's perfectly fine to have FIV positive cats in the same household with FIV negative cats. I know many people in this situation and it's worked out fine. I've fostered two FIV+ cats who had contact with my own, who are negative, and it hasn't been a problem.

Good luck!
Thank you so much. After he comes back from the Vet on Monday, maybe I'll start the process of introducing them. It certainly can't hurt to try. He's kind of a laid back little guy, I think all he wants is some food in his stomach and a warm place to sleep.

aswient

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
He had his check up today and everything is looking great, his extractions and the mass they took out of his mouth is healing up fine. He gained a pound, matter of fact he is eating everything I give him. Can the antibiotics or painkillers give them an appetite? Maybe with all that stuff out of his mouth he probably doesn't feel pain anymore so he can eat comfortably again. One more trip back to the Vet for a blood test to see if his anemia is getting better. Hopefully I can make him happy being a totally indoor cat.

blaise

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Just more great news!

My own experience with antibiotics is that, if anything, they decrease/eliminate appetite...so, my suspicion goes along with your thinking, that, now that there's no mouth pain/discomfort he will return to normal eating.

You mentioned painkillers - I hope it's not Metacam.

motoko9

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the update on Stripey! It's nice to hear good news once in a while.

You'll have to send a picture if you find the time!

aswient

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Blaise

Thank you. The painkiller is not Metacam its Buprenorphine.

Motoko9

Thanks, here's a picture of my new permanent addition. As you can see someone took a piece out of the tip of his ear. I wonder if thats where he could have contracted the FIV? Who knows. At first I thought it was an ear tip like they do to ferals who get spay/neutered, but its a definite tear. Poor baby.

aswient

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thank you, I'm going to put a gate up and open his door and see how it goes. I think Stripey is a little lonely in there.

aswient

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thank you all for the kind words and encouragement.