Update On Stray Kittys..

Minxxy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The Orange kitty who we thought was living in our old shed seems to be coming from different directions so we built him a shelter in back of Our house. He is very skittish and I cannot get near him at all but he always comes for food. The Siamese cat who l think belongs to our neighbors is obviously very neglected. He is friendly. I noticed he was loaded with engorged Ticks but after two doses of Frontline he is Tick free.
Unfortunately I can't get close enough to Orange kitty to put any on him. Siamese cat had goopy eyes and raspy breathing so I've been giving both cats double doses of Lysine plus DE for internal parasites.
Siamese cat hisses at me sometime and that makes me a bit nervous. I'm very careful about putting his food out. He's a grown cat and most likely had Rabies vax in the past.
What are the chances of him contracting Rabies without a current vax?
I still plan on taking him to get it but he doesn't trust me enough to be able handle him to get him in a crate.

kittychick

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It sounds like the poor Siamese furrball needs the vet pronto - -luckily it sounds like getting him into a crate may not be horrid. It does sound like a really nasty URI - -hopefully though that's all it is and antibiotics will clear him right up. If the vet can do a work up on him, I'd ask for it if possible.

And ticks - - - UGH!!!!!!! Glad you've treated him for the ticks. Is he neutered? Not to sound dopey if you've noted this in another thread -- - you note he's your neighbor's cat (well, sort of - he obviously couldn't care less about him). Is he aware you're helping out his cat? Understand I think you're 100% doing the right thing - - I'd take care of him too -- but if he's outside and still going to your neighbors' home at least on occasion, is it possible he's treated him/vaccinated him for anything? Or that he might if he sees him? The only reason I ask is I'd hate to see you do such kind, loving things, taking care of this poor kitty - - -and then suddenly the neighbor starts taking care of him and vaccinating...applying flea meds...even getting him a rabies shot, etc. You definitely don't want to double dose him and cause any harm (esp since you're being SO sweet)! Can you either talk to him and let him know what's happening (and then hopefully the poor kitty becomes your kitty!), or bring him in? Again - - I'd hate to see this unpleasant, unkind neighbor start to take responsibility and have it cause more harm to the poor guy. Either way - - hopefully he can become your kitty (sounds like he's kinda chosen you anyway!).

A suggestion on getting him into the crate though (and you may know all the tricks, but I wanted to offer these tricks/tips. When we're working with a cat/kitten that we're socializing but isn't totally feral but is semi-feral or even a stray (ex-owned and dumped, etc - which sounds like that's probably what your Siamese is)....crating vs trapping is generally less stressful. But he two main keys we've learned about using a crate with a cat that you don't know how well he'll handle the confinement...1: catnip and laser pointers - we sprinkle a bit of catnip in the crate to get them interested, and then we start playing with the laser pointer eventually getting the kitty to chase the light into the crate (which we've already covered with a towel to calm them down immediately when they're in there. 9.5 times out of 10 the laser pointer and blanket/towel have helped enormously. But part 2: (this is where my over-confident hubby who'd only had dogs learned his lesson - - twice) Have someone ready to swing the door shut immediately and latch it - but make SURE it's latched AND check the screws holding the top of the carrier to the bottom (if it's a hard plastic carrier) BEFORE you pick up the carrier with the kitty in it!!! Not once...but twice...hubby didn't check the screws holding the top and bottom of the carrier together. Consequently - - he lifts the carrier, and pretty quickly the bottom half falls off, releasing said cat just as we get outside to the car. Again - - not once but twice!!!! We laughed later on (I swore he was never picking up a carrier with a cat in it again!) - - but it wasn't funny at the time - either time. Both times they were semi-feral kittens. And getting them back after they've had (literally!) the bottom drop out for them - - well, let's say we used every trick in the book and needed lots of luck. Climbing through weeds (and poison ivy for one of them) was needed. I told hubby it's like the old Seinfeld chinese restaurant episode (you may not be familiar - or too young) - - but the restaurant keeps taking their reservation, and then when they get there, the reservation's gone, so Jerry Seinfeld says "So you can TAKE the reservation...you just can't KEEP the reservation.....". I always tell my hubby he can GET the cat in the carrier, he just can't KEEP the cat in the carrier!":crackup:

Needless to say - - -I double check all screws on any crate we use now.

And your chances he has rabies are very, very slim. Not completely impossible, but slim. And even slimmer he'd transmit to you. But I understand your concern - particularly if he's scared and lashing out. But hopefully a little quiet socializing will take away his need to lash out due to fear.

Keep us posted on how he does - -I hope it's an easy solution!!!!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Minxxy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It sounds like the poor Siamese furrball needs the vet pronto - -luckily it sounds like getting him into a crate may not be horrid. It does sound like a really nasty URI - -hopefully though that's all it is and antibiotics will clear him right up. If the vet can do a work up on him, I'd ask for it if possible.

And ticks - - - UGH!!!!!!! Glad you've treated him for the ticks. Is he neutered? Not to sound dopey if you've noted this in another thread -- - you note he's your neighbor's cat (well, sort of - he obviously couldn't care less about him). Is he aware you're helping out his cat? Understand I think you're 100% doing the right thing - - I'd take care of him too -- but if he's outside and still going to your neighbors' home at least on occasion, is it possible he's treated him/vaccinated him for anything? Or that he might if he sees him? The only reason I ask is I'd hate to see you do such kind, loving things, taking care of this poor kitty - - -and then suddenly the neighbor starts taking care of him and vaccinating...applying flea meds...even getting him a rabies shot, etc. You definitely don't want to double dose him and cause any harm (esp since you're being SO sweet)! Can you either talk to him and let him know what's happening (and then hopefully the poor kitty becomes your kitty!), or bring him in? Again - - I'd hate to see this unpleasant, unkind neighbor start to take responsibility and have it cause more harm to the poor guy. Either way - - hopefully he can become your kitty (sounds like he's kinda chosen you anyway!).

A suggestion on getting him into the crate though (and you may know all the tricks, but I wanted to offer these tricks/tips. When we're working with a cat/kitten that we're socializing but isn't totally feral but is semi-feral or even a stray (ex-owned and dumped, etc - which sounds like that's probably what your Siamese is)....crating vs trapping is generally less stressful. But he two main keys we've learned about using a crate with a cat that you don't know how well he'll handle the confinement...1: catnip and laser pointers - we sprinkle a bit of catnip in the crate to get them interested, and then we start playing with the laser pointer eventually getting the kitty to chase the light into the crate (which we've already covered with a towel to calm them down immediately when they're in there. 9.5 times out of 10 the laser pointer and blanket/towel have helped enormously. But part 2: (this is where my over-confident hubby who'd only had dogs learned his lesson - - twice) Have someone ready to swing the door shut immediately and latch it - but make SURE it's latched AND check the screws holding the top of the carrier to the bottom (if it's a hard plastic carrier) BEFORE you pick up the carrier with the kitty in it!!! Not once...but twice...hubby didn't check the screws holding the top and bottom of the carrier together. Consequently - - he lifts the carrier, and pretty quickly the bottom half falls off, releasing said cat just as we get outside to the car. Again - - not once but twice!!!! We laughed later on (I swore he was never picking up a carrier with a cat in it again!) - - but it wasn't funny at the time - either time. Both times they were semi-feral kittens. And getting them back after they've had (literally!) the bottom drop out for them - - well, let's say we used every trick in the book and needed lots of luck. Climbing through weeds (and poison ivy for one of them) was needed. I told hubby it's like the old Seinfeld chinese restaurant episode (you may not be familiar - or too young) - - but the restaurant keeps taking their reservation, and then when they get there, the reservation's gone, so Jerry Seinfeld says "So you can TAKE the reservation...you just can't KEEP the reservation.....". I always tell my hubby he can GET the cat in the carrier, he just can't KEEP the cat in the carrier!":crackup:

Needless to say - - -I double check all screws on any crate we use now.

And your chances he has rabies are very, very slim. Not completely impossible, but slim. And even slimmer he'd transmit to you. But I understand your concern - particularly if he's scared and lashing out. But hopefully a little quiet socializing will take away his need to lash out due to fear.

Keep us posted on how he does - -I hope it's an easy solution!!!!!
Thank you so much for your input. It's very helpful. I'll keep you updated.

6kittymama

Now 10 kitty mama!
Adult Cat
Purraise
I second the lazar pointer trick. It's how I was able to trap my final semi feral kitten who would not go in for anything until I trip the lazar!