Update on Spooky's small cell intestinal lymphoma - drooping ears

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
On Friday night, I noticed Spooky's ear tips were drooping.

Dr. Google pronounced the most common causes are:

- Hematoma
- Low potassium
- Dehydration

I gave her fluids until I could call the vet on Saturday.

Meanwhile, a friend sent me a link to the Merck Manuals "Miscellaneous Diseases of the Pinna." http://www.merckmanuals.com/vet/eye...inna/miscellaneous_diseases_of_the_pinna.html

It clearly states "Folded ear tips in cats are most often associated with longterm glucocorticoid therapy." Spooky has been on 5mg of prednisolone 2x a day as part of the treatment of her (small cell) intestinal lymphoma.

The folded ear tips in a cat can be indicative of what is called "Exogenous Cushing's Disease." http://www.icatcare.org:8080/advice/cat-health/hyperadrenocorticism-cushings-disease

Tapering down the pred should resolve the problem. We were at the vet today. Diagnosing Cushing's is a process, not straightforward. So as others have done before us, we will taper down the pred and see if her ear tips perk back up. If they do, we have our diagnosis. :lol3:

Last edited:

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
BUT, will tapering down the Pred hurt her in any way?  I mean, you're giving it to her for a REASON, right?  So what might happen if you lower the dose...could that effect her adversely?

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Beautiful Spooky!!! We want your ears to perk back up, sweetie!!! :rub: I hope she is feeling well otherwise, though. AND loads of :vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes: for the lower dose of Pred to resolve things. :hugs: :cross:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That was my question, Sally! The pred is part of her cancer treatment. But apparently it is pretty standard to actually start tapering the pred earlier than this, even in the absence of this problem. Many taper all the way down to 2.5mg every-other-day, but keep the leukeran dose the same.

:cross:

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hey there!!! Any good news updates on Spooky's ears, the Pred dosage and how she is doing??? :cross: ;) :vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes:

Last edited: