Update on 'Newman's Own' Brand Cat Food?

thegreystalker

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I notice that it's been quite a while since this company was discussed on TCS.  I see that the great majority of those old posts offered a negative appraisal, most declaring "the cat won't eat it!'

Has anyone tried it lately?  I see that some of the varieties say "Second Generation" on the label.  Perhaps there was a re-formulation?  What also caught my eye was that Newman's Own wet recipes can be had for less than the cost of Pro Plan True Nature Grain-Free recipes.  Incidentally, the Newman's Own dry formula ingredients look very appealing.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

I notice that it's been quite a while since this company was discussed on TCS.  I see that the great majority of those old posts offered a negative appraisal, most declaring "the cat won't eat it!'

Has anyone tried it lately?  I see that some of the varieties say "Second Generation" on the label.  Perhaps there was a re-formulation?  What also caught my eye was that Newman's Own wet recipes can be had for less than the cost of Pro Plan True Nature Grain-Free recipes.  Incidentally, the Newman's Own dry formula ingredients look very appealing.
The ones labeled second generation are the organics. http://www.newmansown.com/petfood/type/canned-cat-food/

The standard canned foods are still available. My cats have tried these and refused to eat them. I doubt that they'd like the organics any better. They are very picky. 

The two versions of the dry food both state that they are made with organic chicken but don't claim to be organic. http://www.newmansown.com/petfood/type/dry-cat-food/

My cats eat very little dry. we have never tried the dry version of this brand. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

thegreystalker

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Jeez, I would say 80% of the opinions of this brand said that their cats won't eat it.  How does the cat food unit of Newman's stay in business?  And it's not like Newman's is inexpensive!!!

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Jeez, I would say 80% of the opinions of this brand said that their cats won't eat it.  How does the cat food unit of Newman's stay in business?  And it's not like Newman's is inexpensive!!!
No. it's not inexpensive. I really don't know. Someone must be buying it. My cats reject a lot of foods though. they will not touch ANYTHING by Halo, Blue Buffalo or Royal Canin. They also hate Nutro Max but like the Nutro Natural Choice. There are many more foods they have rejected. They are so picky. Divas.