Update on my picky problem child

ZoomZoom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I had written in about my 3 yr old male who suddenly turned picky with his food. Thx so much for the input!
I cut back on the amount of dry food I had been giving him & he seems to be doing much better. The only problem now is the wet food. He used to eat it just fine - I had found 3 flavors that he seemed to like, but all of a sudden he got picky & now he won't touch it.
I tried him with all 3 of his fav flavors.... the only one he would touch is the Fancy Feast shrimp pate. I tried both the savory salmon & the ocean whitefish, but he just sniffs it & walks away. I even tried adding some of his dry food - but that didn't work either & he won't touch the flaked or the gravy. I had talked to my vet when I first got him & they told me that as long as he drinks plenty of water, which he does, just the dry food would be fine. Any suggestions?

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Has he tried earthborn or tiki after dark? Shredded chicken though earthborn is more dense. Besides different flavors different textures. Farmina is ground meat so I started cooking ground pork then adding ezcomplete. Half cooked half raw

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ZoomZoom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Has he tried earthborn or tiki after dark? Shredded chicken though earthborn is more dense. Besides different flavors different textures. Farmina is ground meat so I started cooking ground pork then adding ezcomplete. Half cooked half raw
I'm not familiar with either of those, but I know in the past he's even refused shredded chicken. Thx for the input though :yummy:

livismom1

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The only wet food I can get my picky 8 year old to eat is Farmina. And only the Pumpkin line. Darn picky cats!

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Casper can be picky with his food, especially canned food.

He likes his dry food and never shows any signs of being finicky but, with wet, it depends on which way the wind is blowing, I guess.

One way to tell if Casper might like it is by smell. He likes the stinky kinds. Shrimp or salmon vs. beef or chicken. In fact, it seems as though the stinkier the food, the more he'll like it.

If you're having trouble feeding a finicky cat, try feeding the stinkiest food you can find. ;) ;) ;)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ZoomZoom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The only wet food I can get my picky 8 year old to eat is Farmina. And only the Pumpkin line. Darn picky cats!
LOL yup - ya gotta love em:lol:
Casper can be picky with his food, especially canned food.

He likes his dry food and never shows any signs of being finicky but, with wet, it depends on which way the wind is blowing, I guess.

One way to tell if Casper might like it is by smell. He likes the stinky kinds. Shrimp or salmon vs. beef or chicken. In fact, it seems as though the stinkier the food, the more he'll like it.

If you're having trouble feeding a finicky cat, try feeding the stinkiest food you can find. ;) ;) ;)
Glad to know I'm not alone...Problem is, shrimp & salmon were the ones Zu LIKED.... and now turns his nose up at... LOL

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat Coco will not touch tiki. Other shredded meat she will eat but has a hard time eating it. Maybe it's her small mouth? She likes nutro perfect portions and dr elseys chicken or turkey. She can eat ground meat so she gets that and farmina. Unfortunately fish is addicting and should only be served once a week. Also high allergin. As he gets older it might be more of a risk .hope you find something!

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We really need an owners of picky eaters club! I feel your pain, I’m still trying to wean my twerp off tuna..... 2 years later! 🤦🏻‍♀️

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
I had written in about my 3 yr old male who suddenly turned picky with his food. Thx so much for the input!
I cut back on the amount of dry food I had been giving him & he seems to be doing much better. The only problem now is the wet food. He used to eat it just fine - I had found 3 flavors that he seemed to like, but all of a sudden he got picky & now he won't touch it.
I tried him with all 3 of his fav flavors.... the only one he would touch is the Fancy Feast shrimp pate. I tried both the savory salmon & the ocean whitefish, but he just sniffs it & walks away. I even tried adding some of his dry food - but that didn't work either & he won't touch the flaked or the gravy. I had talked to my vet when I first got him & they told me that as long as he drinks plenty of water, which he does, just the dry food would be fine. Any suggestions?
I feed my cats nutro perfect portions chicken and shrimp. Shrimp is very healthy and safe for a cat to eat!

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah I rotate my cats food. Once every two weeks I try to sneak in a can or a pouch he rejected to see if he will eat it now. About half the time he will eat it (I’m still trying to go through the rest of the tray if the Rachel ray mackeral wet good! 🤦🏻‍♀️) So I would rotate your cats food. You would get sick if your favorite food if that was all you ate, for every meal..... every day.

I have noticed that he will eat food he rejected earlier if we are at Nana’s house & he has competition with his brother & sister waiting to gobble up his leftovers! 🤣