Update on Lucy--got the bloodwork results (actual numbers)

Lucy2008

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Lucy was diagnosed with kidney disease a week or so ago. She's 13.
She is now on k/d food. The dry stuff, which she likes but is struggling to keep down consistently.
Today I bought a few cans of the wet k/d to see if she'll eat it.
Also stopped at the vet's and got the printout of the bloodwork. First number is as of 7/24/21; number in parentheses is what it was in 2018.

Creatinine: 3.8 (1.8)
BUN: 53 (27)
BUN:Creatinine ratio: 13.9 (15)
Phosphorous: 7.3 (4.8)

From what I've read, these numbers indicate Stage 3. :(

Anyone have any thoughts?

BlackCatOp

Black Cats Rule!
Adult Cat
Purraise
So yes, unfortunately your kitty does have significant kidney impairment. Was a urinalysis also performed? While there is benefit of the kidney diets with this advanced disease (canned being preferred), I would also ask about a phosphorus binder. That phosphorus is quite elevated. Phosphorus of that level can complex with calcium and cause additional damage to kidneys and other organs. Also, depending on your comfort, I would start SQ fluid therapy to help flush the buildup of metabolic byproducts out of her system.

Not sure if you have any specific questions.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Lucy2008

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes they did a urinalysis. It showed the urine was not being concentrated. And the vet didn’t say anything about a phosphorus binder. He just said to repeat the blood work after she’s been on the food for a couple of months.
I am not comfortable doing sub-q fluids. We did that with a couple of cats and swore we wouldn’t do it again. I’d be ok taking her to the vet to have it done ON OCCASION but not several times a week. At that point, to me it becomes a quality of life issue.

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know very little about this myself and my understanding is it's more like an experimental treatment but, some vets use stem cell treatment for kidney disease. Some clinics also have a dialysis machine. I know some examples both individually (or together) helped a cat on the labwork but don't know if it was a short-lived temporary improvement or a significant amount. But both are used by some vets in Turkey.

Lucy2008

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Urine creatinine: 126.4
Irene protein: 48.6

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I can't offer much, but know that if your cat will eat the kidney diet, I would have her blood work re-done before adding a phosphorus binder. The kidney foods are deliberately low in phosphorus count, so a recheck to see where her levels are before getting a phosphorus binder might be a safer route to go. However, a kidney diet is also deliberately low in protein, which used to be thought to be beneficial in CKD cats, but that thinking has changed in recent years. I would strongly suggest you read all about CKD on this web site - Tanya's Comprehensive Guide to Feline Chronic Kidney Disease - Everything You Need to Know to Help Your Cat (felinecrf.org). Tons and tons of helpful information.

Lucy2008

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Another update. While Lucy will eat the k/d food, she has thrown up five of her last eight meals where that’s what she ate.
I talked to one of the techs at the vet yesterday and she said try switching her back to her normal food and see if she throws up. So I gave her that and it stayed down. Obviously the rx food would be preferable, but if it’s not staying down….? Isn’t the major goal with kidney disease to keep them eating??
Not sure how to proceed. I want her to have the food that’s best for her condition but what good will it do if it comes back up?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Lucy needs to eat - and, not have to throw up all the time. If she will eat other foods and they stay down, then that is what I would feed her. You can always talk to the vet about the phosphorus binders. The one I am interested in is a B-3 version, niacinamide. Here is an article about it (ignore the title, this B-3 is used for more than just cats on a raw diet).
Feline CKD: Niacinamide for Phosphorus Control - Raw Feeding for IBD Cats